“One of the best values in Ottawa - great for business trips”

The Business Inn & Suites
Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed November 18, 2010

As a former Ottawa resident, I've recently been travelling back to Ottawa on business (and occasionally to see friends/attend weddings) and have been staying at many of the hotels downtown.

The Business Inn is an excellent value in the city. The rooms are large and spacious and equiped with desktop computer, printer and internet. I think the decor is average (there are nicer rooms in other hotels), but usually nothing comes close to the Business Inn at the price point they offer. Note its not a particularly romantic hotel and I would look elsewhere if you were coming here for a romantic getaway in the city.

The location of the Business Inn is pretty good - its further away from the Parliament Buildings and the market/canal area than many of the other downtown hotels in the city, but given how compact Ottawa is, you can get to most places by walking an extra 15-20 mins. The Business Inn is located close to one of the better nightlife areas in Ottawa, which is a plus if you are looking for nightlife.

All in all, a very good hotel especially for the price. Myself, I would normally chose to spend a bit more for slightly nicer accommodation (see my other reviews), but certainly, I otherwise have nothing bad to say about The Business Inn.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,621)

Reviewed November 9, 2010

Room rates now start at $125.00 and the hotel is 100% non smoking :(

Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 6, 2010

I have just spent several nights at The Business Inn, having made my choice based on reviews here. Like many, I was not disappointed and I can only second all the positive comments made. Front desk staff, and all hotel employees whom I encountered were polite, pleasant and helpful. When the toaster in my room was not working, I returned to the breakfast room to toast my bagel there. An employee heard me explain to another guest my reason for being back in the breakfast room, she asked a few questions, and within 20 minutes a new toaster was delivered to my room. The room itself was a small apartment, clean with lots of space, and the bed was very comfortable. Although a bit tired looking, the bathroom was functional and clean, and certainly adequate. My only negative comment would be that there is great waste due to the manner in which the breakfast room is organized. I did not see any recycling bins, and the paper, plastic and cardboard just get tossed. That said, I would make the hotel my first choice when back in Ottawa and have already recommended it to family and friends; for excellent value and service, it would be a challenge to do better.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed November 2, 2010

Every time my family and I have come to visit Ottawa (for the last 3 years), we have stayed at the Business Inn. You can't beat the location and the price for what you get. The employees are pleasant and helpful. Only once did we not like the location of the room (right across from rooftop resto). We were given another room immediately with no hassle at all.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2010

We can only echo the numerous positive reviews for The Business Inn. At the price we paid ($107) this place simply cannot be beat for location, amenities and friendly service. When we arrived, we were given a complimentary upgrade to an executive suite: a huge space complete with sofa/TV area and a fully kitted kitchen/dining area with fridge/stove/microwave. Everything we could have wanted was right there in the room, including a comprehensive guest guide, which included trouble-shooting tips to try if we had trouble with the TV or computer or printer. The TV was huge, by the way, and the computer and printer were in the room and hooked up to free internet service. Extraordinary!

Every detail seemed to have been taken care of, from fluffy towels, tissues, hair products and hairdryer in the spacious bathroom, to ironing board and iron in the cupboard, and tea and coffee supplies plus cooking dishes and crockery in the kitchen area.

The location was fantastic: a 5-minute walk to the canal, a 10-minute walk to Parliament Hill, 15 minutes to the Byward Market, and slap bang in the midst of Elgin Street's most celebrated bar and restaurant area.

If you're looking for a great central base in Ottawa at amazing value, this place is spot on!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2010

Perfect rooms and great location. No noise, excellent when you tired!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Chose the Business Inn due to the excellent reviews from everyone while dropping my child off for University. The room we had on the 8th floor (signature suite) was large, clean and had a balcony facing the street. Free wireless and a large flat screen TV with a full (yet dated) clean kitchen. From the street you wouldn't expect the inside to look so nice. You're right in the heart of several nice restaurants and pubs. Loved Big Daddy's, the Elgin Street Dinner even the Maclaren St. Pub which is in the building (decent pool tables and lots of TV's for any game)

The staff was great and since the kids where sleeping on the pull-out and reclining chair (by choice) we reached out to the staff for my blankets/pillows and the staff was fantastic about it.

Three things that you may want to be aware of 1) NO parking - I don't know if they rent to others or they just don't have enough space for the hotel but we checked in 10 mins after check-in and there wasn't any parking. 2) It seems they haven't fixed or reserve the 2nd elavator for the staff so if there is a crowd checking in (like we had) you may be walking. 3) I reached out to the hotel with e-mails and never got a response (to-date, 3 weeks later) so I found that to be in contrast to their good name.

Overall, great value for the money and 5 mins from residence at UOttawa.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family