“My Home Away from Home” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Ottawa, Ontario
“My Home Away from Home”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2008

Love this deal of an apartment hotel smack dab in the middle of downtown Ottawa. Since I chanced upon it I've stayed at the Business Inn every time I'm in Ottawa. Can't beat a studio apartment for $90.00 with a computer, full kitchen and continental breakfast each morning.

• Liked — Ammenities
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank IndyAnney

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
vancouver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

I decided to try a night here during my last trip to Ottawa. The rooms are big and include a lot of extras free of charge. I found it odd that there were so many channels available on their cable service but then they only put a small TV in the room. I could see some people having trouble reading the cable menu from the bed located on the other side of the room. A good mid-level computer is in each room with a large flat screen computer monitor ( larger than the TV) there is also a printer with each computer. They request that you not turn off their computer but the power light is very bright and distracting while trying to sleep. When using your own laptop I found the wifi signal to be too weak for my room. I plugged my laptop into the hi-speed on the supplied computer. As a result of having a computer in each room there is no good work area for your own laptop. The kitchenette is nice but the noise from the fridge may keep some people up. Washrooms are small but they have a nice rain shower, shower head. The bed was a little more firm than I like and didn’t sleep as well as some other hotels I have staid at. The free continental breakfast was one of the best spreads I have seen for a while. The hotel elevators are incredibly slow is often faster just to take the stairs. My biggest thumbs down is the parking. There is a charge for indoor or outdoor parking and the indoor is more expensive. The underground garage is a little daunting as there are some areas that could be a problem if 2 cars are going opposite directions at the same time. On the whole the property could stand a renovation but I will likely try them again next time I am in Ottawa.

• Liked — Free internet, Free breakfast, Free laundry,
  • Disliked — Paid parking really :(
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank yfb
Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2008

Have been here for long term stay, which seems to be the norm for the majority of the guests are military or federal gov't employees. Hotel itself is dated, a tired 80’s retro in need of modernizing. Location is fantastic, walking distance to all major sites including Parliament, NAC and Byward market all of which are less than a 10 minutes away. I haven’t had use of a car for the entire duration of my stay and bought a bicycle. The bike path is very close - at the end of MacLaren Street and in the other direction on MacLaren 3 streets over on Bank St. is a superb grocery store “Hart’s Independent Grocers”. There are good restaurants & bars in the immediate area but for those who know Ottawa they just love patio entertainment in the summer months & no matter where you stay in the hotel (I have had 4 different rooms during my stay) you will hear the Elgin Street festiveness and street noise until quite late each and every night, it is completely inescapable if you stay here unless it rains every night or is winter. If you can't adjust to this and need peace and quiet this is not the place for you – worth checking out properties in close proximity but just slightly removed from Elgin St. such as Ottawa Executive Suites or the Bostonian (both of which had no vacancy for the period I needed and were booked months in advance).

Though "The Business Inn" was not my first choice but I stayed out of lack of alternative options the place has really grown on me. The rooms are spacious, clean and have great inclusions which none of the others I looked at had such as, free in room internet with printer, a true dining area for entertaining, the most comfortable plush beds with duvet and tons of pillows, a Jacuzzi tub and every imaginable free station on TV. It does lack a good gym, does not have a pool and the kitchen could be equipped with more than just basics for long term stays. All of the staff (front desk, caretakers and housekeeping staff) are all extremely helpful and courteous and within days they all knew my name and made me feel like I was apart of this group in a very Faulty Towers way. At this point, I could not have imagined having stayed anywhere else.

• Liked — Friendly staff
  • Disliked — Street noise
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank Snowflake girl
Kingston, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2008

Where to start..I am still staying here. Amenities are all good things to have. Internet has gone out on me some 7 times now, and always seems to be when the IT person goes home for the day. Using the cam/puter, I am forced to wear headphones as the feedback is horrendous. While wearing earbuds which work better..I constantly hear a radio station cross channeling (97.5 Ottawa) Toaster has a mind of its own and pops up as soon as toast/bagels are put in. Microwave is supposed to rotate, however, the glass plate in it must be from another microwave and does not turn. Tub faucet (hot water constantly leaks), and sink faucet sprays out the side soaking the counter oft times. Coffee cups may be for the 3 bears..if you enjoy a morning java..bring your own larger cup in lieu of demitasse cups. Frying pans are T-Fal stainless..everything sticks to them. Room service staff are excellent. Front Desk staff are excellent too. Pop machine on 2nd floor ate my money once. So , friendly staff, however the ammenities could use a fine tuning. Internet is vital in todays business world. I would recommend a 24 hr IT person..maybe on some form of retainer in off times that can remotely repair the server to get it up and running faster..or fire them and hire a new more reliable service. Rooms are fine. Parking does seem to be a premium. I would rate it ok, but If I were paying for these amenities, I would expect them to work properly when & if needed.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Internet access
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bizman50
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2008

I stayed here recently because it was a better deal that other properties. Close to the Rideau Canal, downtown, and the University of Ottawa, you get a full apartment instead of a hotel room. Rooms are spotless. Staff very courteous and helpful. Rug and furniture a bit dated.100+ channels of TV and free high speed internet access a plus.

• Liked — Free high speed internet access
  • Disliked — Carpeting a bit dated
  • Stayed February 2008
2 Thank 2Midwest
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2007

I travel to Ottawa very often on business trips. In the last year I have tried many many other places.

For some reason I came back to the Business Inn with a sigh of relief. The rooms are so incredibly spacious. There is a full kitchen in every suite that I have stayed in, though some of the appliances are rather old. They even include a 4-burner oven and full sized fridge.

The decore could use a little work, but it suffices for my needs.

It is in a great location. It is right downtown, but there are easy road to get into and out of the area. Restaurants are everywhere. There are even a number of bars in the area. One would need to drive to a decent food store.

There is underground parking for cars, so in the winter months you never need to brush off the car. It's a little dungeony (is that a word) in the garage, but you can walk inside to the elevators. Unfortunately I had a large van so I had to use the ample parking outside.

One thing that irks me about this place is how stingy they are with soap. One bar and one little bottle of shampoo for a months stay. If you will be there more than a few days, make sure you bring your own. They are also stingy with coffee supplied to the rooms, but you can always get a coffee at the continental breakfast on the third floor.

They were updateing the last time I was there and installing electronic keycards on every door. Before you had to use physical metal keys. I thought it gave it some character, but I guess keycards are more common. They didn't get to my room before I checked out.

Oh and there was a rumor from the guests that stay there a lot that they may be getting LCD tv's in every room come January.

Did I mention they actually include a computer in every room too? It's locked down pretty tight, but you can check web based email or surf the net quite easily. Forget about installing anything though... even Flash was blocked.

Overall, I think I'd stay there next time I'm in Ottawa.

• Liked — Overall value and full kitchen
  • Disliked — stingy on consumables.
  • Stayed December 2007
3 Thank Lord_jag
Vlad
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2007

I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. Nice, clean, friendly stuff, fully equipped kitchen, computer with hi-speed internet and the printer in the room (even though printer had no ink in it :-), great location and all that for the price of $99/night. I was completely satisfied and I am booking it again for my next visit.

Stayed July 2007