“Amazing atmosphere, better fries”

The Hintonburg Public House
Ranked #500 of 2,726 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Canadian, American
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Ottawa, Canada
“Amazing atmosphere, better fries”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

My cousin brought me to this amazing little spot just the other day. As soon as we walked in I adored the simplicity and charm of this little restaurant. The service was good, nothing overly special, I didn’t feel overly welcome by our server but if anything it was average.
Beer menu was terrific, we each had a couple of Mill St. Tankhouse, one of my favourites, and we indulged in a massive bowl of fries to start with a dip that was out of this world and their own homemade ketchup. To be honest, I could not shut up about these fries. Hands down, with ease, best fries I have ever had. I think about them daily.
We weren’t overly hungry and ended up splitting the fish and chips (.. more fries) and it was delicious as well. Price was affordable, food was excellent - i cant wait to get back there and explore their menu, atmosphere terrific. Definitely one of my new favourite spots in Ottawa!

• Visited July 2012

Ottawa
“Not impressed with food or service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

We were looking forward to spending a lovely lunch at the newly opened Hintonburg Public House and were incredibly disappointed. Having a gluten allergy, I asked the barkeep if they were able to accommodate a gluten-free diet before we sat down and he assured me it should be fine.

It took a while for the waiter to show up and when he did, he had such attitude; it was as though we were inconveniencing him. I let him know of the gluten-allergy and asked him if a couple of obvious items on the menu were GF. He checked with the kitchen, came back and said not so much but a salad would work. Oh, yippee! I'm going to pay $14.00 for a salad? He also said the fish and chips are GF and so, knowing all about living GF, I asked him what the batter on the fish was and this was the response "It's gluten-free"...right, but what is the batter made of. "You don't need to know...it's gluten-free". Seriously, dude? I'm going to trust you with my health?

Anyway, the food was mediocre. Was disappointed. Have heard a lot of negative comments about the place, mostly about the service. Am willing to give it another try but it'd have to be incredible for me to change my review.

• Visited January 2012
Ottawa, Canada
“Doesn't measure up to its promise”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2012

This is a cute little pub with a casual atmosphere and a really interesting menu. We went on a Saturday night around 7pm and grabbed the last table. When we left, the restaurant was still full. The tables are closely packed, so don't expect any quiet romantic chats. The waiter had a good knowledge of the beers and wines available, and was quick enough to take our order; however, there was a large group that ordered just ahead of us and we ended up waiting a long time for our food. The beef short rib on polenta was very tender, but was very mild on flavour. The fish and chips had a crisp batter and very good fries. It was good, but with all the restaurants in the city, we aren't likely to repeat this one.

• Visited March 2012
Ottawa, Canada
“Needs a little more effort on service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

Dropped in on this new gastropubby sort of place in the rapidly exploding Hintonburg restaurant area to see what they offered on a weekend afternoon. Beers are local and great (Beau's, Kichessippi, etc); shareable food is also tasty, but the portions are small.

Was not impressed by the service, which just felt as if we were... oh yeah, you're here. Ummm, I guess you'd like a menu/food/bill? Yeah. Sure.

A public house should work to make its patrons feel like it's another place for them to feel at home. We felt a bit more like we had entered someone else's home, without permission.

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank bobledrew
Ottawa, Canada
“A great addition to Hintonburg!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

There are many great new restaurants and shops sprouting all over the place in this part of Ottawa, but none have inspired me to write a review until now. A good restaurant experience for me includes great staff, good food and ambiance, and this place has it all. It was a busy night so we ate at the bar, which was actually quite pleasant and decided to stay there even when a table became available. The food was very good, kind of pub food I like, and the selection of beer on tap and other drinks was excellent. Our server was very attentive and generally made us feel welcome. I hope that this level of service will continue. This is my new fave in Hintonburg!

• Visited February 2012