“Mixed opinion”

Ranked #14 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Stayed here for business 3 days/nights

Lobby: Modern and nice
Check in : was smooth and quick
Room- standard courtyard amenities. Liked that there was both shower as well as the tub.
The View- great view of Ottawa
Internet/wifi- great
Lounge bar- Used this service during all the 3 days. good food. Fewer choices, though. Starbucks coffee was good. Service was good overall. Felt one or two guys didnt like what they were doing.
Gym/pool- didn't try this time
Bed- average

Cons- woke up at 2 am drenched in sweat. Especially the day before my oral board exams after being sleep deprived for many days. The thermostat was out and the room was hot. Someone came up offered me change of room. Didn't want to waste my few hours of sleep. I was offered a table fan. Took that option. Back to sleep. Got a free coffee offer. The whole experience wasn't nice! Felt someone was not doing their job of checking things.

Other than this,it was a good stay!

2  Thank Nair_VJ

Reviewed June 1, 2014

I was incredibly impressed with my entire three-night stay at this hotel.

The highlights were as follows:
1. The front desk staff - from the moment I checked in, I was very happy to have given my business to this hotel. From check-in to check-out and everything in between, it was obvious that the staff cared about making my stay with them as seamless and efficient as possible.

2. The Bistro - I'm not one to eat at hotels given the typical exorbitant prices, but I have to say The Bistro was very reasonable with regards to price (~$12 for a homemade massive burger and a side), taste, atmosphere (booths with TVs!), timeliness, and service! I had the same hostess on both days and she was very friendly, attentive, and accommodating (Thanks H!)

3. The rooms - Comfortably large & spacious, clean, and functional. I was visiting for business, and there was this great two-part desk that I wish I had at home... The rooms were also very quiet. My room faced the highway, and I couldn't hear a thing! (10th floor)

I unfortunately didn't use the leisure facilities, so can't comment on them.

In terms of the potential setbacks I can see from this hotel:
1. If you want to spend most of your time in the Byward Market area, it's a $12-15 cab fare one-way.

2. The price point is high, but you definitely get what you pay for with this property.

Thanks for a great stay!

1  Thank big_paan
Reviewed May 30, 2014

I really liked this hotel, but, it was further from the downtown core than what I was expecting. This appears to be a very new hotel. The rooms were quite nice and spacious. The service was excellent. I recommend this hotel.

1  Thank Vincent M
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Located three miles out from downtown, this Courtyard has a dining room, albeit with limited menu, serving breakfast and dinner. Staff is very helpful and pleasant. Rooms are spacious and the furnishings are tasteful but there is no safe provided. The elevators have a peculiar arrangement with one on one side and two on the other side of an entry to another suite, so that when one pushes the up or down button one can't see which elevator is arriving. Walls are somewhat thin so if you are located near the elevators, you hear their up and down whine. Being out of the center of downtown, one has to take a taxi ($15. Canadian) or take a bus (which runs every half hour) with the stop a short walk away from the hotel, which is fine in fair weather. We considered renting a car but parking downtown is expensive and spaces limited. There is an enclosed passage to the Convention Center, making it convenient for anyone attending a meeting there. There is a Hampton Inn is on the the other side of the Convention Center with similar arrangements.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms near the elevators.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Gilles L, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Ottawa East, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2014

Dear SuzanneG
On behalf of our Team, I would like to thank you for reviewing our Hotel on TripAdvisor. Just to clarify, in reference to the title of your post, we do not promote our property as a Downtown hotel, although we are situated but 4km (3miles) or 6 minutes, from our doors to the downtown core.....a lot closer than one might expect! In addition to breakfast and dinner, we do serve lunch, and our entire menu is soon to be expanded.
While we might disagree with you that our walls are "thin", they are in fact made up of 6' of concrete. At present, elevator #3 has been problematic with a noisy, humming gear, however the engineering team of our local elevator company is working on a solution.
Happy to add that our underground parking is FREE, which you won't see at downtown hotels, but one can hop in a cab to downtown for uinder 20 bucks. The OC Transpo bus stop is just across the street from our hotel complex.
Once again, we thank you for sharing your comments, and we look forward to your next stay at Our Courtyard Ottawa East in the near future!
Warmest regards,
Gilles Lebrun, AGM, Courtyard Ottawa East
gilles.lebrun@marriott.com

Reviewed May 20, 2014

The reception was very friendly, and the lobby was nicely appointed. However, the big surprise was the size of our double room. It was extremely spacious. Although there were only two of us, I would stay here with my family of four and know we wouldn't trip over all of our suitcases. There was a little kitchenette with microwave and mini-fridge, as well as a sink and counter. The bathroom was large, although the counter space was smallish. The room was very modern, very clean, and comfortable. I found the bed firm, but not hard.

The only drawback is that this hotel does not have room service. We were visiting Ottawa to attend a dance competition, and we wanted to have breakfast delivered to our room. The hotel offers a Bistro Market, where one has to go down to the Bistro counter and place an order. I purchased cereal, a pre-packaged fruit cup, a Starbucks Americano (which was decent, but not the same as buying one at an actual Starbucks) and placed an order for toast from the kitchen. It took 15 minutes for the toast to be prepared. This was time I could have used to get ready in my room if room service was offered. 15 minutes seems a long wait for two slices of toast.

We ate in the bistro one evening, and I found the dinner fare average. Despite my daughter specifying no jalapeños, the ciabbatta was prepared with them. And my chicken quesadilla was mediocre, at best. I think the breakfast might be better, overall.

We checked in on a Saturday evening of a holiday weekend. The hotel was sold out, and the elevators were very slow the next morning. For some reason, housekeeping did not make up our room. We were out all day from 9 a.m., and only returned at 5:30. I was disappointed that our room had not been done, as we were very tired from the competition. As we were leaving to go to dinner,I saw their cart by room at 6 p.m. and asked them to come in. They said they would, but when we returned at 9:30 p.m., the room was still not made up. I called the front desk, and they were apologetic. They did send up more towels and offered to send a houseman to tidy up, but by then it was 10 p.m. and I wanted to go to bed.

Despite these quibbles, I would stay again, as the food options were not enough to detract from an extremely comfortable room, and I will assume that that our room would have been tidied the next day if we had stayed longer. The value was excellent for the quality of the room.

The drive to downtown Ottawa (ie. Sussex Drive by Parliament Hill) is 10 minutes, via the TransCanada. There are many restaurants to choose from there, as well as the Byward Market.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2014

The staff provides outstanding customer service and very friendly during your check-in and check-out process. After entering my room I asked for pillows and blankets and I wasn't happy when I was asked why I needed so many pillows and blankets and how many people are in the room?. I shouldn't be questioned at all and then the next day when I requested for some plates, spoons and folks. They told me I had to go to the lobby and get it. I understand they can be busy sometimes but why were they able to send me pillows and blankets and not the plates, spoons and folks? Your paying a lot of money for their services and they can't spare even 5 minutes or less? Overall the room size and the bathroom were amazing but the bed sheets wasn't what I expected to be. The quality of the bed sheets were so thin and felt very cheap compared to other hotels I have been too but I would definitely come back for another night at this hotel because they provide very big guest room size and free parking.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

Great location if you drive. I would say 10 min to downtown. Free-safe parking. Staff always smiling and very nice. Our room 1018 was huge and clean. The bathroom was very clean. On entry level they have a mini Starbucks counter with coffees, muffins, yogourts, fruits, bagels… perfect for breakfast. The restaurant have nice staff as well. The wait for the food was long though and most of the time we went it wasn’t busy. The food was ok. Its not very kids friendly but they have a short menu for kids, I think 2 choices. The pool is nice and clean on the 15th floor with a jacuzzi and gym. You get a nice view on Ottawa. On busy days we had long wait for the elevetor. Nights are very quiet but as early as 6am we can hear a kind of sliding-up-and-down annoying noise coming from the elevator. I would definetly go back.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with family