“exellent hotel”

Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
tweed
“exellent hotel”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay, staff is first class, everything was perfect the room was better than expected. We will go back again. the hotel is in a good location as there is so much to do close by, wifi is the fastest i have ever hooked up to.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank jamie c

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
Montreal, Quebec
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The hotel is brand new. I would swear that I was the first guest to use the room. Everything was immaculate. Large room decorated in tans and dark reds. Large flat screen TV. Mini-kitchen with bar fridge, sink and microwave. Coffee maker. Large bathroom with the standard amenities. Good work area with free Wi-Fi. Bed and pillows were very comfortable.
Check-in was fine. Free parking in an indoor garage.

Stuff that bugged me:
The parking area for the hotel in the garage is 2 levels down in the back and there are a huge number of pillars that make everything feel closed-in. Entry/egress is less than convenient.
Access to the elevator is through a door that's hard to use when you are loaded down with luggage.
They use compact neon lighting in all the fixtures in the room and they've chosen a very blue/white light. I found it institutional and cold.
I knew that I was right next to the 417 so I asked for a quiet room and they gave me one that was at the end of the hall facing the Riverside Drive exit ramp from the 417. I could hear traffic from 5:30 am. If that was a quiet room, I'd hate to be in a noisy one.
Their free in-room coffee maker only makes 1 cup at a time and it was only stocked with a single serving of regular coffee. I couldn't have a second cup and if I had traveled with a companion, one of us would have been out of luck.
Overall the hotel was acceptable but I'm not sure it's worth the premium over the Hampton Inn, owned by the same company, next door.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank MarcC
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed at the Courtyard for a week and we were impressed.
Bran new,super clean, very spacious, nicely decorated.
Staff very kind.Easy check-in & check out.
Newspaper every morning, free wi-fi, work station,good size flatscreen.Recycling bin.
Walking distance to the St-Laurent shopping center (about 10 minutes walk).
We had a view on the Stadium (and the highway).
Free underground parking.
Fitness center,restaurant,Strabucks coffee...
This hotel has it all if you don't want to be downtown.

Go for it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NG_Travel
Miami Fl
Reviewed July 9, 2012

The hotel is relatively new. It is about 10 minutes from downtown Ottawa, not at walking distance you will need a car, public transportation or a taxi (fare around $17 CAD each way). The hotel staff is very nice and friendly. The hotel is located next to a minor league baseball stadium and it was built on my opinion to host big conventions and events. The room is very clean and the bathroom is impeccable clean, the room is big and very comfortable. The breakfast was not included on my rate, but the local restaurant has a very good and economic breakfast menu (coffee is free). Internet was included and the parking is free. I am really impressed with this Court Yard by Marriot hotel. Highly recommended, if you do not need to stay in downtown.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank elector
Mississauga Ontario Canada
Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed here for one night July 1st (Canada Day), and stayed for free as we redeemed some Marriott points. This is a fairly new hotel, the room was exceptionally spacious...it even has a small mini-fridge, sink and microwave in the main living space. Underground parking was free. The elevators were a bit slow, due to there being a music festival next door at the Ottawa Stadium -- which we didn't know about at the time we booked. So there were lots of young people partying and being raucous...but we did notice that security did a pretty good job of keeping things under control. The indoor pool and whirlpool is on the small side, and the temperature of the water in the pool was on the high side -- after a hot day in the sun, it was too warm!

It is just off the highway, and about a ten to fifteen minute drive (by highway) to the downtown core. No restaurants around the general area...just the one in the hotel, which we didn't try.

Overall, not a bad hotel to stay in - next time we'll check to make sure there isn't a concert going on at the stadium next door.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the stadium if there are any events happening there during your stay...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TeresaOntarioCanada
The Woodlands, Texas
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We have stayed in more than 20 Courtyards and this is one of the best. Next to a large conference center the hotel was designed for that type of client. Its new which confers some normal advantages, the beds are firm, the towels full and its very clean. The rooms are large and well appointed with more electrical plugs than any I have seen. It also has convenient underground (free) parking, a good pool and exercise room and while not downtown it is convenient to anyone who is touring Ottawa as we were. One disadvantage is poor wi-fi in some rooms.

Room Tip: If wifi is a necessity for you make sure your room has a good connection while at the front desk.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Medford, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was "walked" to this hotel when the hotel I had booked ran out of air conditioned rooms on a very hot night. I found a brand-new property with rooms much larger than I needed, advanced amenities I didn't need, teething troubles that inconvenienced me, and a room rate higher than I would have paid.

The hotel is part of a conference center, and the rooms are definitely sized and equipped for conference attendees and meetings -- the room had a set of input connectors to allow a computer to be connected to wired internet and directly to the large flat-panel HDTV. The coffee shop is similarly roomy and has service options to allow customers to decide between taking food with them and sitting down to discuss or to read. There are multiple check-in desks to allow a large number of guests to check in or out in an orderly way. None of which were particularly useful to me as an individual traveller arriving late on a Wednesday for one night.

But one of the three elevators was out of service, so getting the guests to their rooms could be a problem. And when I checked into my room, energy-saving functions were still in effect, meaning that room lighting and air conditioning were not working -- calling the front desk got them working again in about a minute, but it's easy to see how a large meeting could swamp the ability of hotel staff to manually reset each room to a useful state.

The garage entrance was not particularly well marked as a parking area, and there was no indication outside that guests of this hotel should enter and park there. I figured that out when I noticed that the elevator included parking floors, and a drive around the buildings revealed no other entrances to the garage.

Finally, prices are pretty high for the East End of Ottawa: a bottle of domestic beer was $7 in the coffee shop/bar, compared with about $4 to $5 in other restaurants. Quesadillas were similarly highly-priced for microwaved (I believe) snack food, and only microwaved items were available in the late evening. My room was big and plush, but with a single King bed, not particularly suitable to families or non-intimate friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo