“A new hotel with lots of advantages”

Courtyard Ottawa East
Ranked #15 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
The Woodlands, Texas
“A new hotel with lots of advantages”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We have stayed in more than 20 Courtyards and this is one of the best. Next to a large conference center the hotel was designed for that type of client. Its new which confers some normal advantages, the beds are firm, the towels full and its very clean. The rooms are large and well appointed with more electrical plugs than any I have seen. It also has convenient underground (free) parking, a good pool and exercise room and while not downtown it is convenient to anyone who is touring Ottawa as we were. One disadvantage is poor wi-fi in some rooms.

Room Tip: If wifi is a necessity for you make sure your room has a good connection while at the front desk.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Medford, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I was "walked" to this hotel when the hotel I had booked ran out of air conditioned rooms on a very hot night. I found a brand-new property with rooms much larger than I needed, advanced amenities I didn't need, teething troubles that inconvenienced me, and a room rate higher than I would have paid.

The hotel is part of a conference center, and the rooms are definitely sized and equipped for conference attendees and meetings -- the room had a set of input connectors to allow a computer to be connected to wired internet and directly to the large flat-panel HDTV. The coffee shop is similarly roomy and has service options to allow customers to decide between taking food with them and sitting down to discuss or to read. There are multiple check-in desks to allow a large number of guests to check in or out in an orderly way. None of which were particularly useful to me as an individual traveller arriving late on a Wednesday for one night.

But one of the three elevators was out of service, so getting the guests to their rooms could be a problem. And when I checked into my room, energy-saving functions were still in effect, meaning that room lighting and air conditioning were not working -- calling the front desk got them working again in about a minute, but it's easy to see how a large meeting could swamp the ability of hotel staff to manually reset each room to a useful state.

The garage entrance was not particularly well marked as a parking area, and there was no indication outside that guests of this hotel should enter and park there. I figured that out when I noticed that the elevator included parking floors, and a drive around the buildings revealed no other entrances to the garage.

Finally, prices are pretty high for the East End of Ottawa: a bottle of domestic beer was $7 in the coffee shop/bar, compared with about $4 to $5 in other restaurants. Quesadillas were similarly highly-priced for microwaved (I believe) snack food, and only microwaved items were available in the late evening. My room was big and plush, but with a single King bed, not particularly suitable to families or non-intimate friends.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Bob W
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed June 24, 2012

stayed here for two nights. very strong and fast wifi everywhere in the building. spacious and clean room. close proximity to both downtown and ottawa airport.i highly recommend this place.

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
BC
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I concur with the other reviews regarding the large rooms, good size bathroom and overall very good impression of the hotel. The Staff were all very good and accommodating. Being new, the Bistro does not seem to be up to speed yet. I never encountered any bad smells or alarm clock issues.
Being connected to the convention Center, it at times get's fully booked. Add to that, many airline crews stay there. So vacancy and rates fluctuate quite a bit.

I was hesitant to stay here because I thought it was way out of town. But it is only a 5 - 8 min drive, and parking downtown is cheap. So I was very surprised and happy with my stay.
Not a place you will stay and eat. There are so many great places in the Mall area, eating at the Hotel would be a waste anyway.
I interacted with many of the staff, and without exception they were all very helpful and friendly.

I would recommend this hotel without hesitation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Leavethesn0wbehind
Jennifer M, Director of Sales at Courtyard Ottawa East, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you for your positive feedback and comments. We're glad to know you enjoyed our hotel and our team. Being a brand new hotel, our occupancy will fluctuate from week to week more so than an established hotel. It is not the norm for airline crews to stay with us, but a couple of our fellow hoteliers were stuck and needed some extra bedrooms to house some crews in May and June. In light of that, we helped them out and put them up here during their time of need. The Bistro restaurant does offer a full menu of appetizers, breakfast, lunch and dinner items, as well as provide a bar with cocktails, wines and beer.
We appreciate your time and look forward to your next stay with us.
Villanova, PA
Reviewed May 30, 2012

First off, it's gorgeous to walk into. I stayed in room 118, on the first floor, and the ceilings are very high, there's lots of marble and fresh paint, it felt big, and it was as immaculate as you'd expect a new hotel to be. The bed was firm, with lots of pillows, there was a little microwave and fridge, and a second sink as if for a wet bar. Martin, at check-in, was gregarious without being pushy and unfazed by the busy check-in time. The hotel hym on the 15th floor was pretty big for its type.

So it's odd that there were a bunch of little problems. The hardwired internet didn't work -- no connection at all. (The hotel also had wireless, so this didn't turn out to be a problem.) The battery cover on the TV remote wouldn't stay on. The alarm clock blinked hieroglyphics. (I figured out that "1 7 c 8" was "10:28".) After a shower, the bathroom smelled like a swamp, as if there was sewer backup. The first three things should have been noticed by housekeeping before I checked in; don't know what they could do about the last. (I wonder if it's a first-floor issue.)

So overall, I'd stay again and hope they'll work out the new-hotel kinks, but for $200/night I was a little disappointed.

And I know this isn't unique to this Courtyard, because the downtown one is the same way, but for $200/night these days, I'm hoping for breakfast. There's nothing to walk to, and that leaves the "Bistro" with astonishingly high prices, even for a hotel. $4.75 for a packaged cereal "with ripe banana"? $4.25 for ten strawberries? Considering there's a Hampton Inn next door with breakfast included -- hey, I wonder how many wander from the Courtyard over there -- charging a bundle for a breakfast when the hotel is already a bundle just makes me cranky.

Room Tip: Not room 118, at least not yet!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank dbomp
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed May 28, 2012

I stayed here for two nights over the Victoria Day weekend, and came in without a reservation. Amazingly, rooms were available. The location is kind of behind the St. Laurent Mall. Good spot, as it is easy to get to the mall and all of the restaurants and businesses on St. Laurent.

The room had two queen beds and either the hotel is new or had been renovated. Very modern furnishings, and decor. Everything had that new plastic kind of scent. The beds had duvets and covers, so no icky bedspreads! There was a nice little kitchenette with a microwave, bar fridge, counter, sink, and of course, the coffee machine. The lobby has a little "store" where you can get frozen dinners, drinks, popcorn, etc. Expensive, but if you need something you can get it.

The bathroom was also nice, modern, and large. Typical shampoo, etc., amenities were provided, as was a hair dryer. The tub/shower had the nice curved shower rod to give you more elbow room without the curtain sticking to you, and the curtain had a mesh upper portion that also gives you a sense of spaciousness, not to mention more light while you shower. The tub was the typical, shallow alcove version. Suggestion: put nicer bathtubs in hotels. Especially when you build new or remodel. There is no reason why a slightly bigger, deeper tub couldn't have been put in here. I tried to have a nice soak one night, and barely got more than my legs wet, not to mention bruising the back of my head on the edge of the tub sill. Instead of trying that the second night, I tried the pool my last morning.

The pool, and whirlpool are on the top floor, indoors, and surrounded by windows. The view was amazing! The pool was kept a bit on the warmer side, which was great, as was the whirlpool, kept slightly cooler than some. I easily stayed in the whirlpool for 15 minutes, without that overheated, feel like your suffocating sensation. Towels are provided in the area. There is also what looked like a well equipped exercise room that is actually open 24hrs.

I had no trouble getting a late check out (2 pm) so that I could take my time in the pool before checking out.

There was free internet in the room, which was supposed to be wireless. They gave me a code at the front desk, but wireless never worked in the room. Connecting to the in-room ethernet line worked fine, but than meant not being able to sit in bed with the lap top. I tried to get the front desk to resolve that, but they didn't seem very tech savvy and never did.

When first checking in and arriving at the room the lights didn't work. I had to call to the front desk and then, magically, the electricity was turned on remotely. I've never encountered this before, but it would be better for the hotel to make sure the main switch is on before the customer gets to the room, for convenience, and safety. How did I know someone wasn't lurking in the darkened room waiting to pounce. Not to mention, that I doubt the hotel would want someone to sue because they tripped and broke an ankle fumbling about in the dark trying to get the lights on.

Likewise, our key cards were cancelled each day, and upon return to the room from the day out and about we had to call the front desk and have new ones brought up. Very inconvenient when you have your hands full with shopping bags and food.

My biggest complaint, though, would have to be the lack of food services on site. They supposedly have a bistro that is open until midnight, but after about 8 pm you can't get food (even though they say you can), and after about 9 pm you can't even get a coffee. In the morning, coffee took 25 minutes to get, with only two people ahead in line. That was very frustrating. Staff also had no idea about restaurants in the area when we asked where else we could go.

Overall, this was a very good hotel, in a good location, with good amenities. A few issues keep me from rating it at excellent, but those could easily be resolved and I hope the management reads these reviews and addresses them.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank LadyoftheCliff
new england
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This Marriott courtyard opened two months ago. The front desk staff were courteous, knowledgeable and very accommodating. They printed maps for us and exchanged money free of charge. Our room was beautifully appointed, very clean and large. The fitness room was very well equipped with treadmills, cross-trainers, bikes, fitness balls and a weight machine and hand weights.They also offer guest laundry facility situated very close to the fitness room. Parking is free.Free coffee is offered in the morning and evening in the lobby. They also have a full service restaurant. The only drawback is you are not situated close to downtown Ottawa, but it is very close to the highway.
I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had room 1203, It was perfect!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple