“Always Delightful”

Dining options: Reservations
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Always Delightful”
Reviewed May 11, 2013

As residents of Manotick, we feel spoiled by the restaurant choices available to us in our own village. When Sushi Sun opened, I could not, at first, believe our good fortune that we now had sushi among our choices. We were probably one of their first customers and now we make it a regular stop both to dine in or to take out. In truth, it's always my preference to dine in because, as other reviewers have noted, Sushi Sun provides a tranquil environment in which to enjoy excellent sushi and it offers a particularly enjoyable selection of exotic teas.

I would say that the service is also excellent but that does not really do it justice. Now it is true that we are regulars so we are always made to feel at home. But now that I think back I think this was true on our first visit too.

I wholeheartedly recommend Sushi Sun to anyone in Manotick, or for that matter Ottawa, who would like to enjoy something a little special.

Reservations are usually not necessary but for key dates it is a good idea. This I learned the hard way when my wife and I wandered in, casually, on Valentine's Day only to find that it was completely full. Rather than forego on the delicious sushi, we placed an order to go and enjoyed it at home. A couple of weeks later, I stopped by to make another pick up order and the gracious owners of Sushi Sun added something special to our take out platter - because they had not been able to accommodate us on Valentine's Day (when it was entirely my fault!). It is a very special place, as I think you are beginning to sense. I just made a reservation for Mother's Day.

I almost always get a spicy Manotick roll, but that's a personal addiction. And with each visit we continue to explore their menu and this only adds to my list of must-have orders.

• Visited May 2013
10 Thank JoeGollner

Ottawa, Canada
“A peaceful oasis with great food”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

Sushi Sun is a wonderful place to enjoy a peaceful meal. The vegetable tempura is delicious and the sushis and sashimi are fresh and tasty. There is an interesting choice of Japanese teas.

• Visited February 2013
10 Thank heliothrope
Ottawa
“Great value in a slightly unexpected location”
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I've been wanting to try this place out for about a year, but just never seemed to find the right set of circumstances. Was finally able to try it out tonight - and will most definitely be back.

It's in a slightly unexpected location, next to a butcher in small town Ontario on the far south end of Ottawa. It's not quite on the main road, just a block off to the side - you can't really stumble on it by accident.

Food quality was excellent, I've paid a lot more for sushi and ended up with a lot less. Staff was very attentive. Decor was well done for the location and good use of space.

Was not very expensive relative to the quality of sushi available. Total bill for 2 of us was just over $100 after taxes/tip, which included 3 alcoholic drinks, several rolls and sashimi choices.

While we were there we noticed a brisk take-out business happening as well, so that may be something we try in the future.

• Visited November 2012
10 Thank Tinious
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
“Delicious!”
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Sushi Sun certainly deserves its reputation as the best sushi restaurant in Ottawa. It's out of the way in a pokey little mall of the main street in the village of Manotick in the city's south end but it's worth the trip.The Dynamite Rolls are superb as was the assorted tempura vegetables with shrimp. The California Rolls were also surprisingly tasty. My wife also quite enjoyed the Cherry Green Tea and Green Tea ice cream. Throughout the presentation of each dish was fantastic. The wine list while short and a bit pricey ($9+ for a glass of Folonari Pinot Grigio) was quite complementary to the dishes offered. Apart from the language difficulties in placing our order, it was a nice, relaxing meal. We will definitely be back! BTW, they have takeout - unusual for such a fine dining establishment. That may explain why there were only 3 tables occupied when we were there on a Saturday night.

• Visited September 2012
11 Thank Ken A
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
“Sushi, Japanese tea, & balance”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Sushi Sun is a sweet little haven of good design and good food: a very balanced experience for people who want to slow down and enjoy their meal.
Decor is clean and unobtrusive, with a nice feeling of privacy throughout due to well-placed screens and plants. No loud noises, just enough chit chat to allow you to relax and take it all in.
The food is fresh and presented in a traditional manner. Plenty of choice for vegetarians too. Nice selection of teas.
The owner/designer is very welcoming. His Sushi Sun t-shirts are in the works. You'll want one, because it's a very cool logo, so be sure to ask when they're available.

• Visited June 2012