“Good food and good service in the Byward Market area”
Review of The Smoque Shack

The Smoque Shack
Ranked #131 of 3,256 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Barbecue, Jamaican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I love smoked meat so I was very excited to try this restaurant and I was not disappointed either. To be fair, we attended the restaurant for game 5 of the Toronto Raptors. We arrived at 8.30 PM and were seated promptly at our reserved table.

The staff are friendly and helpful, always making sure we had drinks or asking if we wanted to order more food. The noise in the room was loud due to the event, but for a bar/restaurant setting, the place was enjoyable.

We ordered beers and smoked meat. The brisket was fantastic, as well as the chicken and sausage. The fries and onion rings are very good, normal for this type of restaurant.

Overall, the food was very good but not great. Portion sizes of meat are okay. It was a very busy night to be fair. The wait staff did a fantastic job of serving everyone.

I would go back to this restaurant.

Reviewed June 13, 2019 via mobile

This shack was on Clarence street. Great selection of beers, and you can try before ordering. Yes the portions of meat are smaller than usual but it’s very good, I had seasonal vegetables and they were excellently cooked and plenty of French fries. We would recommend this bar.

Reviewed June 12, 2019

I thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant when it was at it’s old location. The menu was more focussed on bbq meats with lots of choice. The new menu had far fewer choices of meats and the portion size was pathetic - you pay 12-15 dollars for a quarter pound of meat. It went from a bbq style restaurant to a more mainstream restaurant with food you can get at any other restaurant. That’s disappointing, I won’t be returning

Reviewed June 11, 2019

My husband and I came here for supper on our first night in Ottawa and it was a fantastic choice! I wish it would have been our supper every night but unfortunately we had other places to try out. But nothing compared to the food at The Smoque Shack! I had the jerk chicken with kettle chips as my meal and wow that was some hot chicken! I love heat so I didn't mind the spiciness but the smoky flavour added something else to it which tasted incredible. My husband had the chicken and waffles and he loved it! The chicken was juicy and crispy! All in all a great meal. I can't wait to go back!

Reviewed June 6, 2019

avoid this place. the portion sizes are laughable and disgraceful. This place is a joke for serving adults, kids size portions at rip off prices. Definitely not coming back here.
Service is very slow as well.

1  Thank 613GDK