“Big Breakfast and Big Bill in Westboro”
Review of Baker Street Cafe

Baker Street Cafe
Ranked #48 of 2,808 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed December 31, 2012

I have dined at this restaurant several times now. On a Sunday morning with subzero weather the line-up was out the door. The food is superb. Love their sausage and generous cut of country ham. Coffee is plenty and hot. The place can be crowded and rushed. If you are seeking tranquility, look elsewhere! The breakfast is tasty, but costly.For my brother and me the bill came out to be over $35!

There are newer reviews for Baker Street Cafe

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Shopped at the local MEC and across the street was this cafe.....we decided to try ended up being the best find on our trip....bustling bistro with home cooked large portions...we had the blueberry chocholate chip pancakes, soup and sandwich of the day...Excellent....you will enjoy

Reviewed November 12, 2012

I agree this is one of Ottawa's best breakfast spots. Food is homemade and high quality: real potatoes, fresh baked breads, high quality sausage and ham straight from the butcher, fresh fruit on the side. Coffee is fresh and extra hot and served in china mugs that keep it that way (a nice touch). Gluten free bread is available - and is miraculously good - I had gluten free french toast which was a real treat. Service is friendly and efficient.
Portions are a bit much and although I tried to hold back, I'm feeling like I ate too much and wont need or want to eat again ever.

Reviewed November 11, 2012

Best breakfast in Ottawa by far. Great portions, fabulous friendly service, and the Italian sausage that come with breakfast is the best I've had.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

First visit was sort of impressive because I was happy with the fries that accompanied my sandwich. Seriously. I like fries, and I rarely eat good ones in Ottawa for some reason.

Anyway, I had had lunch with a friend, and I returned home raving about them to my husband and also the copious amounts of fresh fruit on the plate. Yes, I must say the fresh berries are a treat.

So back we went. My husband enjoyed his breakfast, which included eggs, bacon and pancakes. My omelette, on the second visit, was dry (way overcooked), but I was hungry so I ate without complaint. Unlimited carafes of coffee was a novelty, and I am sure we both had 4 cups each.

Second time we went, I tried the scrambled eggs and ribs combo. Big disappointment! The ribs were just nasty and tasted/smelled of pig. Sorry, but no other way to say it. I know pork is pig meat, but improperly spiced pork has an unappetizing odour and taste, and those ribs had it. I slathered them in ketchup and tried to make them somewhat palatable, but the rest came home with me for the dog. On this visit, my husband was bowled over by his pancakes which arrived topped with fresh fruit and loads of shaved chocolate. I must say, I had food envy!

Last weekend, we dropped in for our 3rd breakfast. Hubby was hankering for the chocolate pancakes again, but at the last minute, changed his mind and ordered a burger, instead. I ordered the club sandwich.

The burger came with yummy fries, and my sandwich came with homefries. I should have specifically asked for the fries, too, as the homefries have too much pepper and onion in them for my taste.

Hubby could barely get through half of the burger, and I found my club sandwich painfully dry and tasteless. The only saving grace for me upon this visit was the freshly squeezed orange juice that, although not very sweet, was refreshing.

I don't know. I want to like the place, but each time the quality of my meal seems to slip a bit. I don't need heaps of mediocre food. Perhaps cut down on the quantity and concentrate on getting the quality back. Overpriced for what it is.