“A great brunch”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“A great brunch”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to walk Wellington St, and find a place to brunch as we killed time before catching a play @ the Great Canadian Theatre in same hood. The service and attention by Stephanie was wonderful and the meal was perfect! I had an egg sandwich with homemade sausage on English muffin. That may sound ordinary- but there was nothing ordinary about this dish. Firstly, the homemade sausage was in the shape of a patty and delish! The egg was perfectly cooked sunny side up- so when you made the first bite the yolk burst with deliciousness! There was a side salad with the most flavourful vinaigrette I can remember from a resto and there was fries as well. I'm telling you, I eat out a lot and this place will be one that I will try again for lunch or dinner. My friend also liked her dish which waxsdifferent than mine !

• Visited October 2013

“Lost for words”
Reviewed October 6, 2013

We visited this small cafe as it was refereed to us by a friend. We came here to have brunch and we got ourselves a treat. We ordered french toast and eggs benedict and both meals were fresh and tasted very good. There is nothing like home made food and this is what it felt like. What took me back from this visit is exceptional customer service. Now before i continue with my experience, please note that i'm not one to complain unless the food is no good and the service really sucks but when someone goes out of their way to make things right, you cant beat that. As it was cold out, we all ordered hot beverages to warm up. My wife got a cafe late (tasted amazing) and i ordered a hot chocolate. We got our drinks but mine tasted like water. I never said anything to the waiter because i didn't really care to complain over something so small. As my wife tasted the hot chocolate to see if it was water she made a face that the owner noticed and reacted immediately. He walked over and asked what was wrong. I told him that the hot chocolate tasted like water but not to worry about it. I just wanted to get warm. Not only did he apologies for this but insisted to make it better. He went out of his way to make this taste amazing. It went from tasting like water to real chocolate. Take about great customer service! Now after doing this, when the waiter came back with the bill we noticed that they had given us a discount and not charge us for any of the beverages. I have been to many restaurants in many different countries with good food but i have never received this type of treatment. I'm not just saying this because we got a discount but the fact that he went out of his way to fix something so small goes a long way in my books!!! And if your wondering, yes we paid the full bill. Recommend 100% and will be back for sure! Thank you Back Lane Cafe

• Visited October 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Great atmosphere and dining”
Reviewed September 5, 2013

George has done it again !
Two wood fired ovens brough in from France and a truley wonderful bounty from each. After a day of firing for food/meal preps the residual heat from the ovens is used to make amazing breads. Great seats in the bar at the back providing excellent interactions with staff and patrons.

Visited August 2013
“Good food”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The first time I went to this restaurant the food was excellent. I had the pizza (the one with the pear I believe). The second time I also had the pizza and it was not very good. It had cauliflower puree on it which made it mushy and kind of gross. My partner had the Arctic Char and found it to be tasty.

I will go back.

Visited August 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“Tasty eats in a relaxed environment”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Pros
- Appetizers (terrine) and mains (steak frite) were tasty
- Nice relaxed environment
- Service was friendly and timely / good

Cons
- The donuts seem to be the house specialty for desserts but they weren't overly impressive.
Comparatively the ones at Side Door are significantly better. There wasn't anything truely unique about the Back Lane ones.

Would definitely return though for another meal.

• Visited August 2013