“Good food”

Cuisines: Pizza, Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The first time I went to this restaurant the food was excellent. I had the pizza (the one with the pear I believe). The second time I also had the pizza and it was not very good. It had cauliflower puree on it which made it mushy and kind of gross. My partner had the Arctic Char and found it to be tasty.

I will go back.

There are newer reviews for Back Lane Cafe

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Pros
- Appetizers (terrine) and mains (steak frite) were tasty
- Nice relaxed environment
- Service was friendly and timely / good

Cons
- The donuts seem to be the house specialty for desserts but they weren't overly impressive.
Comparatively the ones at Side Door are significantly better. There wasn't anything truely unique about the Back Lane ones.

Would definitely return though for another meal.

Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

I've been meaning to write for some time to say how much I loved the atmosphere of the restaurant and the Pavlova dessert that a friend and I had at Back Lane. It was a wonderful evening and I can't wait to go back with more friends.

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Ottawa is really coming of age when it comes to dining. This is a very nice neighbourhood place that could become a regular hangout. From start to finish the food was innovative, very tasty and well presented and served. Had a perfectly prepared Cornish hen and hangar steak preceded by exceptional appetizers. Wine list was good also with a wide range of choice for different tastes. A smaller place that can't easily take groups of six or above but our party of four had a great time and the intimacy of the dining room really created a buzz. Would highly recommend Back Lane. We haven't done the full sweep of new rising restaurants but I'd say this is a candidate for top 20 for sure.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Cozy café with a terrific bar to sit and eat at if that's your preference. Friendly knowledgeable staff. Consistently delicious food made with fresh ingredients. Fantastic bread, desserts, pizza, fish stew, good wines. It is one of those few places that you leave happy each time you visit. Definitely a favourite spot to stop for an informal or romantic dinner or lunch with clients. The staff seems to have a great sense of when to give you privacy or engage you. I keep promising myself I won't eat as much the 'next' time but it hasn't happened. The lure of the menu keeps calling my name and I keep eating. As I said .... YUM! Make a reservation.