“Delicious place to eat with good friends”
Review of Back Lane Cafe - CLOSED

Back Lane Cafe
Cuisines: Pizza, Canadian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Ottawa, Canada
“Delicious place to eat with good friends”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Amazing food and very, I mean very cosy place. Small down to earth casual atmosphere that you can go to with a few friends. Don't bring a crowd as its tight but then again I would only want to share this place with good friends anyways.

We had steak which was perfect and delicious, I like real beef with fat, home style vegetables that tasted fresh and not hidden behind butter. Roasted yummy beets, softest properly cooked octopus ever, and donuts ala mode that were to die for if you like that kind of thing.

Service was attentive and unobtrusive just like we liked it. Overall it was an excellent experience right down to the well decorated exit stairwell that led to the clean washrooms in the basement, this was a treat too in my books as a frequent diner, good facilities are part of the experience.
Kudos for whomever thought that was important too.

Oh yes and no soda on the menu which I love but is unhealthy anyways so I had homemade cola which was soda and something tasty so that was great too. Only thing that I would probably suggest is a longer than 2 hour seating as its almost not enough to enjoy it to the full extent. It would be better if you could have 2.5-3 hours, to enjoy some wine which I didn't have time to do. Oh well, this is a pet peeve of mine anyways an seems to be a unpleasant trend in restaurant booking these days. Still it gives everyone a change to enjoy this gem of a place I suppose so go if you want excellent food and plan to go to movie right after. Try and book for longer if you want to have drinks with and after your meal.

2 Thank ikojohn

Ottawa, Canada
“Fine Dining in Hintonburg”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Be prepared to be squeezed in (literally) for an evening of fine food and pleasant ambiance. The Back Lane Cafe is mysteriously nestled on Wellington in a great location in Hintonburg. On the weeknight we reserved, the restaurant was FULL and we were nearly rubbing elbows with our next table neighbours - NOT a complaint as it was a lively atmosphere and it was fun to watch the servors navigate through the narrow alleys between tables. The menu was versatile and featured many high-end ingredients (including a fantastic smelling seafood chowder). The prices were a bit steep but this was expected and not unacceptable for the type of cuisine offered. The service was decent (It seemed that the poor waitress was a bit run off her feet!) and the meals themselves were good (not spectacular). I had a wood-oven pizza that was not nearly as good as those I had had before at other resaurants in Ottawa, but my table mates very much enjoyed their respective steak frites and assorted pasta selections and salads. Great location, fun atmosphere, rustic but modern decor, and acceptable service but the food was for me, not quite worth the cost. Thanks!

Visited December 2012
Ottawa
“Wait Until It Is Less Popular”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

While it is fun to try popular restaurants, sometimes it is best to put the place on a "to go to" list to look at after a few months have passed. In our case, we didn't wait long enough. The food was good but the tables were so jammed together that it was not comfortable. To sit at a round table for 4 and only have 2/3 of it available because of the traffic was not so comfortable. Our friend had a bad back and sat on what win the award for the world's worst bad back chair. It was so crowded that we could hear every word spoken at the next table and had a chance to celebrate a birthday with that table as they seemed to be actually sitting with us. Now, I would much rather go to a place that has customers and sounds like fun is happening than be the only person in the place. I justed wanted a little more space and little less loud conversations that escalated as the evening wore on.

I would give the place a second chance - not go Thursday, Friday or Saturday - and wait another 6 months. My food was good. I did try the donut dessert and would not recommend it - even though some people rated it their top menu item. My husband would return tomorrow for the seafood stew, my friend's pizza crust was too tough to cut (even though the toppings were excellent) and the poor guy with the bad back was in too much pain to wax philosophic on his food.

I am looking forward to another try in August 2013.

“Simply fabulous”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

The Back lane cafe food is simply fabulous...
We have never had anything less than perfectly executed in terms of great cuisine...the steak is as good as any high end steak house in Ottawa...please consider opening downtown....

“Disappointing”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

After making and confirming a reservation we ended up waiting 30 mins for our table. We were welcomed to go across the street to the Elmdate Tavern to wait for the table to become available??? When we finally did get our table many of the items on the menu weren't available. Service was friendly, courteous and efficient - clinical. Presentation was meh, food was bland and generally unappetizing. Dessert (almond tart) was tough and tasteless. A real disappointment - won't be back.