“Very nice small presented entrées, reproducinmg Van Gohg's colours”

Cafe l'Entree at the National Gallery
Ranked #1,324 of 2,726 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Cafe, International
Dining options: Lunch, Seating
Description: From the National Gallery website:Overlooking the Ottawa River, the Café l'Entrée is situated in the Great Hall, the focal point of the Gallery. Perfect for lunch or afternoon high tea, the Café's menu emphasizes elegantly prepared, light foods and fine pastries. Group menus are available upon request. Reservations are recommended.
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
“Very nice small presented entrées, reproducinmg Van Gohg's colours”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

I liked the experience, the place is gorgeous and allows to admire Safdi'as architecture. Tables are well dressed.
Food quality is good and small entrées are really "small", however they are delicious and somewhat expensive. Service is not so good and probably depends on waiter.I was obliged to
aske to the waiter if he was sure that my white wine a Viognier was in fact so. It was not and he changed it.

• Visited August 2012

“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

I have come to expect better than average fare at museum cafe's. This was at best average. Poor selection, service without a smile, stale rolls, uninspiring salad bar.

Gatineau, Canada
“Breath-taking spot, food barely okay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Eating at the Café de l'Entrée is like having a cappuccino in the Piazza San Marco, a glass of wine on Via Veneto or a Perrier on the Champs Élysées. One pays for the privilege of being in a beautiful location, and the food needs to be considered as somewhat secondary. This is the image I had after my very tiny lunch at the Café de l'Entrée.

Two friends and I had lunch at the Café recently after viewing the Van Gogh Exhibition. The location is spectacular. The tables were covered in pale lilac tablecloths, there was a fresh flower on every table, clean cutlery and a cloth napkin. Several young women at the next table appeared to have gathered for a birthday celebration tea and each woman had a lovely delicate teapot at her place. The waiters were polite but distracted and not attentive, rarely looking our way to see if we need more water or bread.

Now for the food... The menu appears to have been inspired by the Van Gogh exhibition. My friend and I both ordered a $17 item called "The Two Crabs" described as a terrine of crab and a crab salad. Our dish arrived on a long rectangular white plate. On the left was a minuscule amount of crab salad, perhaps 1/3 of a cup at most. It was good. Several inches away, to the right of the plate, was a 2-inch square of tasteless gelatine, which contained tiny particles of crab meat. I could not eat it. A shared $17 cheese plate had small portions of Gouda, a soft cheese, a blue cheese an stale green grapes. Our friend ordered a panini which she ate and found okay. The cappuccino was very good. With taxes and tip, my bill was $$36 and I was still hungry, having had the equivalent of a few ounces of food.

Nevertheless, the view, the beauty of the Art Gallery Hall and the pretty decor made this a worthwhile albeit strictly one-time experience.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Micki063
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012 via mobile

After one visit a few days back I have an inclination I will be calling for another reservation sometime soon.

I am not sure how you can cover two story windows as the other comment mentioned (possibly three), the view was absolutely breathtaking, a great place for fellow Ottawa residents as well as for travelers to Ottawa.

The staff are completely groomed and pleasent to be around, and the menue is delicious.

I loved the scones, these are my favourite thus far, slightly less doughy as the more modern, cake-like scones, but more tradional, and served with wonderful Devinshire cream and fresh blueberry jam. It was to die for.

We were served Sandwiches, an assortment of cheeses and crackers with grapes, wonderful whipped cream with granola and yogurt, a wonderful Thai mushroom and coconut soup to start, and fruit tarts, chocolate mouses, and other fruit desserts to compliment the assortment of splended teas offered.

I can't imagine not enjoying this, there is something for everyone, although I enjoyed every last bite.

As a British decendent, finally finding the perfect scone to turn my fancy was a dream come true

Ottawa
“Afternoon Tea glad I did it but will not do again.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2012

Though nothing extraordinaly, it was a nice afternoon, with a great veiw, though the shades were drawn ( no sun), hampered the view. The service was good and the servers polite and helpful. The food was tasty, started with a yogurt and fruit with oats and mint on top, the soup was good but in an extremely small container which was hard to get the last of the soup from it. The cheese board was plentiful and the sandwiches creative (4 pieces) with the scones (very small) just ok and the little desserts that ended our tea passable. I had a coupon for the tea for two at half price, all in all since it was my first time I enjoyed the experience.

• Visited March 2012