“Stella Luna: Better than Belgium!”
Review of Stella Luna

Stella Luna
Ranked #3 of 84 Dessert in Ottawa
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Description: Awarded Best Gelato in Canada and Top 3 in the Americas at the Gelato World Tour 2016 in Chicago and recipient of the International Journalist's Award at the Gelato World Tour Finals in Italy, 2017! Trained in Bologna by Italy's finest; owner and Master Gelato Chef Tammy Giuliani combines old-world techniques and recipes with a passion for finely prepared food. Ranked by Urban Spoon as"Canada's Best 100 Places to Eat", Stella Luna is more than just gelato. It's a family owned and operated European style Café, serving up gourmet panini, hearty soups, eclectic salads, buttermilk waffles, crepes, decadent desserts and specialty coffees with Italian flare. NEW: Come for dinner and try our new Spuntini - Italian Small Plates Menu available daily from 5pm to 9:30pm complimented by a selection of our favourite Italian wines and local craft beer. Stella Luna - intimate ambiance, exceptional food!
Reviewed February 18, 2017 via mobile

That's the verdict of my teenaged waffle expert, who has actually eaten a waffle in Belgium so is qualified to judge. At Stella Luna, hers was smothered in nutella, mine buried in berries and both were hot, fresh and as my kid says - "a beast of a waffle." Not small.

Stella Luna is a charming, crowded local bistro specializing in crepes, waffles and panini sandwiches. Ideal for brunch or lunch, this local spot is immensely popular but manages to meet demand swiftly with a small but delicious menu. Absolutely worth visiting, just a walk over the bridge from Lansdowne.

Date of visit: February 2017

Reviewed February 16, 2017

The best freshest gelato in the world. We live nearby and go there for gelato fix, or hot chocolate, or waffle. Everything is great there. The atmosphere is very relaxed and cosy. Highly recommend.

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed February 8, 2017

I started coming to Stella's in 2016 over the summer. My mom had raved about this place and I finally decided to go and now I'm addicted. I have not been since the summer but they have amazing flavours and many to choose from. There is always a line (at least when I go in the summer) but it's worth the wait. The sandwiches are amazing too. Definitely try the cheese cake, mojito and Ferrero Rocher flavours of gelato. You can even sample them before you decide to get it and you can get 3 different flavours at a time. If you visit or live in Ottawa, come here and you wont regret it!

Date of visit: August 2016
Reviewed February 4, 2017

We were at Stella Luna for a saturday lunch, with the grand daughter. We, the adults, chose panini : greek salad panini for me and BLT panini for the husband. The two sandwiches were amazing : crunchy but tender inside, full or fresh ingredients. We licked our fingers when finished. Meanwhile, the little girl was happily eating a superb banana caramel crepe ! For dessert, gelato of course. The best in town, really !

Date of visit: January 2017
Reviewed February 2, 2017 via mobile

We are semi-regulars at Stella Luna. Always enjoy gelato and waffles and some time try the cakes. This time the experiment was Banana Chocolate cake. This was a generous portion and the cake was great with the exception of the icing, which too sweet.

However, the main purpose of this post is service. At 8pm on a February weekday, the place was half empty. There was no line up at the counter either. Three people worked the counter - a cashier, who didn't seem to know much about coffee, and female and a male employees (gender reference strictly to distinguish between the two, as i dont know their names) who prepared orders and served ice cream.

Despite a non-pressure, non-business environment, the female employee was already behind on the previous order when our turn came up. She finally served our ice-cream, while the male employee promptly brought our cake and waffles to the correct table before I even made it back with the number sign.

Coffee wasn't coming, however. When I approached the counter to follow-up, it turned out the female employee forgot to make it. As she was telling this to her male colleague, she didn't even look at me though I was standing right there. The man apologised and promptly made the coffees. The female ultimately offered a half-hearted "sorry, we had some miscommunication" but the attitude was cold and fake.

The male employee deserves a star for acknowledging and fixing the situation. The other two employees need more training on "communication" and service.

Finally, an unrelated suggestion, please don't serve mugs of coffee on top of espresso cup saucers - they are rather unstable that way.

I will return to Stella Luna and I hope for a friendlier and more accurate service next time.

Date of visit: February 2017