“Growing pains at this newly opened Hotel....”

Quality Inn Orleans
Ranked #63 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Growing pains at this newly opened Hotel....”
Reviewed September 22, 2011

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at this Hotel. It's new but still not finished. We received a discounted rate because the pool was still not open. Our room was nice and spacious and the king bed was comfy.The fridge was nice and the Wi-Fi worked good.
Now for the disappointing things..........The Hotel only puts 2 towels in each room and does not offer much for amenities in the bathroom except for soap/shampoo/conditioner. No mouthwash or shower caps.The bathtub drain was clogged and the shower head was on wrong so you had to shower leaning against the wall,and the shower pressure was weak. The breakfast was okay but needs work.They should offer fresher fruit with more variety,the milk needs to be kept cold and not just sitting in water and the juice should be juice and not no name apple punch and tang.The waffle machine is really nice but I think they should offer maple syrup along with the no name stuff.
I had one MAJOR issue with housekeeping. I decided I didn't need housekeeping one morning so I put the DND sign on the door. Upon returning back to the room we noticed housekeeping ignored the sign and went into the room.They came in and cleaned the bathroom.I saw housekeeping in the hallway so I went to ask them why they went into the room.The housekeepers went into a room and shut the door when they saw me coming.So I went back to my room and watched them come out through the peep hole,so I swung open the room door and they quickly ran back into the room and shut the door on me.Now I'm getting mad so I knock on the door of the room they are hiding in...I guess they didn't realize I could hear them in there.They answered and told me that my door had no DND sign on it. So why was the sign on the door when we returned to the room and if they didn't see the sign why wasn't the whole room cleaned. I felt un-comfortable for the rest of the stay knowing that housekeeping come and go as they please and the rooms have no chain locks. Maybe this was an isolated incident but I will be sticking with Holiday Inn Express from now on.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Enterprise, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Enjoyed this new hotel fully, well priced, easy to find and friendly staff. Breakfast included waffles and was well stocked. Pool was still under construction ( the note on their web site was far too small to me notice, so my little girl was dissapointed....) but close enough to Ottawa to visit museums without hassle, and staying just a few minutes out of town saves on hotel parking fees! Over all, we are looking forward to our next stay!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank FourFenwicks
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2011

Booked this venue for an overnight stay on way back to GTA rom Eastern Canada. Online seemed like a newer property on the East side of Ottawa, with a pool to relax in after a long drive. Upon arrival, greeted by a friendly staffer who let us know that the hotel had only been opened 3 months, and that breakfast was through the doors she was motioning too. Also noticed the giant pool hours sign proclaiming open from 6:00 to 22:00. Went upstairs to the room and got changed to come down to the pool. Followed to sign, but couldn't locate the right door. Went back to the desk to ask for directions. Waited while staffer was checking in another guest. After inquiring, was politely told that the pool wasn't even open yet and still under construction. Lady who had just checked in freaked on overhearing our conversation - apparently was booked in for several nights with children. She immediately asked to be transferred to another area hotel with pool. Staffer obliged and located another hotel for het - not a Choice property. We went back to our room and I pulled up my confirmation, which clearly stated pool as part of the facility. It also stated as I was aware, that unless I had cancelled the day before by 4pm, any cancellation would be penalized by a night's charges anyhow - something DIFFERENT from the normal Choice cancellation policy which allows for changes/cancellation up to 4 pm on the day of planned arrival. Had I known earlier that this site was not as expected and advertised, I most definitely would have changed sites. I sent a detailed email stating my concerns to the reservation customer service centre after attempting to use the provided web channel with no success (form only allows doe 1024 CHARACTERS). the confirmation on the email indicated a 72 hour response window - so should have been around 7pm Friday. To date on Sunday have not received anything, so have followed up. In my opinion, an unfinished construction in the facility is NOT the same as being closed for maintenance. I am curious as to whether or not I will hear back from Choice Hotels about my comments. I should also let it be known that I am an incredibly loyal Choice Hotels customer, having stayed at 3 other sites during the course of my most recent excursion but also at many other Choice Hotel properties over the years. When completed, this property will be a great venue for a stopover.

• Stayed August 2011
Belle River, Canada
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Having a hotel in Orleans was a long time coming and now it’s here, but.......

I wanted to like this hotel, I used to live in Orleans and still have family and friends there but the hotel, even though it’s new, feels cheap , and uninviting. The best thing at the hotel was the staff, very friendly and accommodating. Everything else was unimpressive.

To enter the front of the building into the lobby, you have to go through two automatic opening glass doors, which is fine expect that you cannot walk straight ahead, you have to go to the left to get to the other door? Why they did that I have no idea. As you enter the small lobby, the business centre is on the left. It only has one computer and there is a picture of some guy, hanging up there smiling down at you.... I asked the front desk who that was and they have no idea??? The lobby is small and simple, which is fine. There does not seem to be a staff uniform of any kind but the men do where shirts and ties. The hotel it’s self seems stark, no money spent on things to warm the palace up, unless you can call the two elephant plant stands at the front desk pleasing.
Who ever owns this place must have gotten the elevator at some elevator clearance outfit. On the side with the controls on it there is at the top of the panel the words” Car 1”???? There is only one elevator? Then down by the first floor button, there a length of duct tape covering a button. I’m guessing that‘s the button for the rear door of the elevator that has no purpose for being there. The “bings” from when the doors open and close etc, seem a bit much, the elevator moves roughly from floor to floor and the carpet is tattered looking.

On to the rooms - the place is new and the furniture and bedding is all new and fresh looking but they are cheap on the pillows. A queen size bed gets two small pillows and one decorative pillow. In our room I went to turn on a lamp and none of the three worked. Turned out one was not plugged in, one was burnt out and one had no light bulb. The flat screen TV has lots of channels, the internet worked fine but the fridge was the smallest I’ve ever seen. It was about 20 inches high as compared to 33 inches of a regular hotel fridge height, and sat on the floor under the little counter with the little microwave on it, When I bent down to put something inside, then I stood up I banged my head on the underside of the counter. I was also surprised that in a new hotel the sound proofing did not seem well done. When we were there, there were no room parties or anything but I’m guessing that someone put a chair, or a suitcase against the wall in the next room and the sound was so loud I jumped, and I also heard bangs from people above us- not that they were noisy, just normal stuff????? Then there were the doors to the rooms, they did not close very well by themselves and if you were leaving your room you had to pull them shut, which of course made a loud noise.
They will apparently have a pool, not it’s not ready yet.

The breakfast is not very elaborate, two kinds of dry cereal, a couple of choices of juice, some little yogurt containers (not kept cool with ice) and I guess some toast and coffee etc. It’s all just set out, not very appetizing.

We were there two nights. Would I stay there again,....maybe, if it was in the next month or so, but only because it is the only hotel in town. Would I stay there 6 months from now, not unless I saw a recent review on Trip Advisor that spoke favourably of the place.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
23 Thank Applebee19

Travelers are raving about these Ottawa hotels

Ottawa, ON
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We really enjoyed our stay at the Quality Inn, Orleans. This hotel is new and VERY clean. They have a continental breakfast with a friendly and efficient breakfast attendent who is always there to make sure everything is running smoothly. The front desk staff are very welcoming and informative. Our house keeping ladies were next to none (esp Shannon & Melanie). The hotel is equiped with an exercise room (small room but topnotch equipment) and a pool (that wasn't ready during our stay) . I would highly recommend this hotel to others:)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Avery05
Andrew B, General Manager at Quality Inn Orleans, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Thank you for your generous feed back. It is truly appreciated. We try each and every day to provide a comfortable and friendly hotel for our guests and with comments such as your it proves that we are succeeding. We hope that you will come back and visit us again in the future. We would love to have you back!

Andrew Busing
General Manager, Quality Inn Orleans.