“Afternoon Tea @ FCL”

Zoe's Lounge
Ranked #142 of 2,736 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Canadian, Contemporary
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Fairmont Château Laurier's lounge was named after Sir Wilfrid Laurier's beloved wife. Zoé Laurier Lafontaine was a young piano teacher known for her kindness, simplicity and most of all her big heart. She would have been proud to visit her namesake, which is now Ottawa's most stylish and elegant lounge with its chic decor, glowing chandeliers, and a beautiful glass adorned atrium. Zoé's Lounge features live entertainment and is famous for its light fare menu, freshly prepared vintage cocktails and its wonderful Afternoon Tea.
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
“Afternoon Tea @ FCL”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

All in all, very good and if you like this sort of thing, then well worth popping in.

1. Service - excellent and the staff were very pleasent and Alexander with his tea trolley was a delight to behold.

2. We went for both the traditional and centennial and both were very good. The scones are particularly worth mentioning for they were superb and fluffy...just like a scone should be. The traditional set came with 'four' which may have over done it a bit but having read some posts earlier, then I would agree a slight shift towards more savoury would be better. The centennial tea was a little over the top with the sweet stuff....all of which was good and eaten of course!

If one were to be a little critical, then you really do need proper clotted cream to accompany the scones.

3. The teas on offer were also good and wide and served properly.

All in all, for a country that is essentially 'coffee' territory the Laurier did a find job and what was most crucial, unlike many more celebrated places I have had tea around the world, there was no queuing and no rushing you out the door for the enxt sitting. Top marks

ChateauLaurier, General Manager at Zoe's Lounge, responded to this review, July 18, 2012
I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea experience at Fairmont Château Laurier and I will share your recommendations that we use proper clotted cream with the scones with the our Chef. I do hope that we will have the great pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Claude J. Sauvé

• Korean first
New Zealand
“High tea experience”
Reviewed July 13, 2012

What a venue! Absolutely spectacular setting of the Chateau Laurier. Lush decor, highly professional service - without the snobbery. The tea mixer was entertaining and so knowledgable. Even the kids learned something about tea.

There are a few options for the tea. We took the cheapest option which was a lot of food - all beautifully presented, wonderfully tasty and fresh. As per previous reviews, we would have liked more savouries and fewer sweet options. There were a lot of leftover sweets and nothing savoury. Great for a special occasion or taking someone out for a reasonably priced treat.

I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your Afternoon Tea experience at Fairmont Château Laurier and I hope that we will have the great pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Claude J. Sauvé
BC
“Best Martinis in an excellent setting”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have stayed at about half of the Fairmont properties across Canada. I enjoy a Vesper Martini, so my measure of quality is based on how well the bartender can make one.
Without hesitation I can say that Rob has made the best one so far (Matching the Four Seasons in Whistler and the Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac which are also excellent).

Rob was very knowledgeable and personable. He made our stop for drinks a really good experience. He explained many details about the background and how to make classic drinks. He has a real passion for his trade. If you like a Manhattan, ask him to do the special Zest in front of you.

I was not able to stay in the hotel this time, but enjoyed walking around and looking at the building. Not as special as the Frontenac, and the view is not as good. But definitely worth stopping at for a drink when visiting Ottawa. And just a short walk from the Westin, Ottawa Convention Center and the pubs of the Mall area.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Leavethesn0wbehind
Canada
“How low can the service be?”
Reviewed May 2, 2012

My spouse and I have been going to Zoe's for drinks on a casual based and rarely now since the hotel had been bought out by the Fairmont chain of hotels. Last evening, we stopped in for some drinks and what a mistake. We were seated by the window and the waitress seemed annoyed to be serving us as she seemed to enjoy the ‘rowdy’ table of her seemingly acquaintances. After finishing our first drink and desiring a second one, we had to flag down the other waiter as our waitress was unattainable. The other waiter brought us our drinks. Then the waitress brought us our bill with explanation that we had given her the impression that we were there for only one drink. We requested to speak to her manager has we did not appreciate this attitude and lecture. She surprised us by diving across the table, yes diving, to reach for the bill because it had her name on it. I quickly pulled that bill out of her reach.

My spouse and I then walked to the service desk and requested to speak to the manager and after explaining this ridiculous situation he voided the bill with apologies. We left.

We may return in a few months as we always enjoyed the atmosphere of the lounge and hoping that the service level has reached the level this hotel demands.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank LikeABigPizzaPie
ChateauLaurier, Manager at Zoe's Lounge, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
I am very sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your most recent visit to Zoe’s. I very much appreciate your time and I would like to once again apologize for your experience. What you have outlined does not meet the standards that we thrive to provide our valued guests.

Please call me to discuss your experience in further detail at 613-241-1414.

David Sher
Director of Food & Beverage
Ottawa
“Centennial Tea”
Reviewed April 9, 2012

My wife thought it would be fun to go to the Chateau Laurier for high tea on Easter with our two young daughters. The lounge was not busy at all at 4:00 when we arrived and service was very good throughout. The scones/cumpets were surprisingly tasty, the sandwiches/canapes were a bit ho-hum, and the desserts were really good. The wife and girls were really pleased with the experience, which is really what you're paying for here - there is no "value for the money" food-wise. You're paying for location and a memory. Little Princess tea was $20 and Centennial Tea (commemorating 100 years of the hotel) was $39.

Overall a nice treat for the family but probably not something we'll repeat too often.

• Visited April 2012