“Disturbed by one Mans Presence……… the chef!!”
Review of Grill 41

Grill 41
Reserve with OpenTable
Grill 41 is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #276 of 2,882 Restaurants in Ottawa
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are a friendly casual fine dining restaurant in the heart of Ottawa. Our focus is food and guests. We love serving groups, families and travellers.
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I visited here this past July with a girlfriend for a pre-drink and appetizers before a show at the National Arts Centre. We sat in the lounge and found that the service was quick. However drinks were grossly overpriced and time it took for food to come out was cutting it to close to our show. (My Favourite Scotch was over 20 dollars)The restaurant had a few functions going on… there was one group in the room adjacent to the lounge and another crowd in the back. The staff was able to cope but the presence of the CHEF was a bit absurd. He frolicked around asking everyone "if they were having a good time." At one point he sat next to my girlfriend and I. She found it amusing. I was NOT so Amused. Never in my life have I sat at a restaurant where the executive chef is chit chatting with the customers. I almost feel as if he had been drinking. He comped our drinks which made me feel as if he was hitting on us!!! A WRONG IMPRESSION INDEED for a Chef. I wanted to tell him that he should be in the back making our appetizers rather than conversing with customers. It is almost like an episode of Bar Rescue; where you see management and cooks being scolded for leisuring with guests. Someone please rescue this chef. Presence of cooks in the restaurant area is unacceptable and never seen before. Only world renowned chef's get that privilege.

1  Thank Classy S
Jennifer M, Manager at Grill 41, responded to this reviewResponded November 18, 2013

Thank you for your review of Grill 41. It is indeed unfortunate that you find the presence of our Chef disturbing in our dining room, because he is there as part of our management team and not only does he help in the operation of the back of the house in the kitchen but he is very experienced in the operation of the front of the house, the dining room. In every city in any part of the world you travel, the presence of a Chef in the dining room of any business, whether small or large is an integral part of business operations. He is not here to make you feel unwelcomed or unwanted. In actual fact, we've had numerous customers comment on his welcoming presence in our dining room.
With regards to the pricing of alcoholic beverages on our list, they are very comparable and on par with all other hotels and restaurants in Ottawa and surrounding areas.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Overpriced. Low quality of food. Don't order steak. Service ok. Atmoshphere bland and outdated - nothing special. Felt like a low end hotel restaurant. I don't understand how anyone can rate this higher than 2 star. Most dissapointing experiece in Ottawa. Not as advertised or expected. Will never go back. Don't waste you money here.

1  Thank Dave M
Reviewed November 8, 2013

As mentioned brfore in an other post, we go to Grill41 often. We eat out most of the time at local restaurants up and down Elgin but the Grill 41 is the best of them all. Apart from their seafood lasagna and hamburgers mentioned before their salmon is a 10 out of 10. I have eaten salmon 2 - 3 times aweek for the past 15 years and it will vary from a 3, depanding where you go, up to 10 and the Grill 41 actually hit 11 the week before last. The Grill 41 is always a pleasent place to go. The food and service are excellent and we are served by a very friendly and warm staff, namely Tammy and Christina. :)

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I just returned from an excellent stay at the Lord Elgin Hotel ith a group of about 30 people. Our stay there ran very smoothly. The staff were excellent. Chef Brian Vallipuram was very attentive to our needs and I had the opportunity to sample some of his mouth-watering creations (my favourite is his Chef Smith seafood chowder, the best I have ever had!). The quality of the food at Grill 41 is second to none! I hosted a friend for dinner on the last night of my stay there - once again, fantastic food and excellent service. The staff are very friendly too (Tessa from government sales). Thanks for a great stay!

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We recently visited Ottawa for the first time for our 25th Wedding Anniversary! We stayed at the Lord Elgin Hotel, and enjoyed 3 of our meals at the Grill 41. We were given a window seat, and enjoyed the sites of the city. We were hoping for a better menu selection, but the quality of the food was excellent!!! The manager was very welcoming, and our server Tammy made us feel very special!! I personally LOVED their butternut squash soup. Their breakfast buffet had a nice selection as well. Our server Tammy went the extra mile to make our time here memorable.!!
Lori T.