“Walked out Angry”

Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Seating
Ottawa
“Walked out Angry”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

My husband and I went to Yummy Sushi twice in the past couple of months. The first time was an okay experience. We were few in the restaurant so the service was as we had expected it to be - you complete your order form, it's picked up, a short time later your selections are brought to your table and repeat. Though my husband tried to make conversation with the server, he didn't get much of a reaction from her.

We went again this past weekend. The restaurant was much busier - larger groups and a few couples. The service was slower - which can be expected when it's busy - but what I noticed is that the larger groups had a regular flow of food brought to their table whereas my husband and I had to wait long periods of time in between our selections. We were there an hour and twenty minutes and we still hadn't received all that we had ordered (which wasn't very much as we are vegans so the selections that we had available to us from the menu are of course fewer than those available to non-vegan customers). At one point, we had to remind our server that we still hadn't received the miso soup from our first order. What did it for me though was the last order - edamame beans - how long do you have to wait for those? Apparently over 15 minutes. That's when I told my husband that I had had enough and walked out angry, which is extremely unusual for me as I am a very patient person under usual circumstances. There did not appear to be any concern for our customer satisfaction - not from the server and not from the person at the cash. We will not be returning to Yummy Sushi!

• Visited January 2014
3 Thank Vacationer4Ever

Ottawa, Canada
“Singles treated differently than the rest of clients.”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

This is an all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant,,,if you are not single. Singles have to pay "À La Carte". They will not serve you the all-you-can-eat buffet...unless you bring a friend, therefore, unless you are not going single. This is discrimination and is not allowed under the Human Rights Act. Please support singles and boycott this place until they change their policy.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank SINGLE2013
“Not recommended.”
Reviewed October 3, 2013

Not recommended. Skimpy and appetizing dishes. The food and service have really
declined in quality. I recently heard that the tips are not shared properly with the servers and that they no longer serve single customers. I walked in when the place was nearly empty and was told that I couldn't order the all you can eat ... so I walked out feeling
insulted and angry ... two things you don't want to experience at a any restaurant.
Avoid this place it is definitely not recommended.

• Visited September 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“DISCRIMINATION!!! SINGLES NOT ALLOWED FOR BUFFET!!!!”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I got the surprise of my life today! They do not serve the all-you-can-eat-buffet to singles anymore. You have to bring a companion or pay the "A la Carte" price.
This is discrimination and is not allowed under the Charter of Human Rights.
I then asked if I could still use my Free lunch card for all the lunches I had before they changed this rule and they said NO, unless I bring someone with me. I had to walk out of the restaurant, as they would not serve me, and I felt truly humiliated since the restaurant was full of people and since this is not way to treat a regular customer.
I will write to the government to make them aware of this discriminatory policy and I suggest that everyone boycotts this restaurant until they eliminate this policy and that everyone also write to the Government about this practice.
It is not Canadian to behave in this way. We do not discriminate about gays...we should not discriminate about singles either.!!!!

Visited August 2013
3 Thank SINGLE2013
Colorado Springs, Colorado
“Used to be good, now not so much”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I used to go once every one or two month and last time I went was pretty disapointing. Each time I go there I see the manager working very hard. However his employees seems lazy and don't pick up the order sheet quickly. Most of the time, they will avoid eye contact just not to come pickup your order sheet.
During my last visit, I just don't know what happen to the sushi. The cut on the fish and pieces of sushi were horrible. On my hosomaki I had tiny piece of fish that could barely cover the top of the sushi. Their sushi used to be big, well prepared and nicely presented. The rice was wayyyy over cooked. I don't know if they had budget cut and the quality suffered or the sushi chef just quit.
I'm definitively not going back for a while.

• Visited April 2013