“Good Gluten Free Restaurant” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Caprese Ristorante Italiano - CLOSED

Caprese Ristorante Italiano
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Description: This place specializes in 100% Gluten Free Italian Dining. It's very good. I'm not celiac but my wife is and I love the food there.
Ottawa
“Good Gluten Free Restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

I had dinner at the Caprese Ristorante on the recommendation of somebody who loves this place. We had a good dinner - Caesar Salad followed by veal stuffed with spinach and cheese and strawberry shortcake for dessert. A little loaf of gluten free garlic bread was brought before the salad. Overall I thought the meal was like home cooking. Nothing fancy but it tasted good. I was a little disappointed by the gluten free cake. The house red wine was ok. I was happy with the dinner but there are other Italian restaurants in Ottawa that are better. However, if you are on a gluten free diet, this is the restaurant for you.

• Visited September 2012

Gatineau
“Bland, expensive food; haggard waitress!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2012

We ate at Caprese Ristorante Italiano because a visiting friend is gluten intolerant. We found the decor to be rather shabby but acceptable. The waitress greeted us hurriedly and then proceeded to complained to us on a few occasions about being "only one person". We were discussing what to order when she grumbled about our taking too long to place our orders. When we asked her to clarify certain items on the Italian menu, she became rude and impatient. We found her manner to be quite unpleasant and unprofessional, to say the least.

The food was edible but unimpressive. I found the gnocchi to be overly starchy and tasteless although the three cheese sauce was delicious. We ordered creme caramel for dessert: it was frozen when served. The waitress told us to order something else. We had the ice cream cake. It was palatable.

The one highlight in the evening was that our waitress was occasionally replaced by a most charming little boy who added a much-needed pleasant and warm tone to the atmosphere.

The only reason I could imagine anyone would eat at Caprese is that he or she is gluten intolerant and has no other choice. Too bad. This could be a popular restaurant if the quality of the food matched the overly expensive prices, and the cranky waitress were replaced by someone who is more composed and polite. I would not eat there again, nor would I recommend it to anyone. To my knowledge, this is the only gluten-free restaurant in the Ottawa area. How unfortunate!

• Visited August 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Denise R
Charlottetown, Canada
“A good restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

We went with friends to Caprese on a Wednesday night, the restaurant in mid-week was quiet. I liked the decor, lots of wine bottles, comfortable tables, nice background music. The menu gives a good selection of Italian dishes. A plus, Caprese offers pasta minus the gluten, so for those of you who have in intolerance to gluten or wheat, this is great. We tried various pasta and meat dishes, all were good and well prepared. The dessert menu is not large but then again having lived in Italy for years, I do not expect them to have much of a dessert menu. The espresso is excellent. Wines are reasonably priced. A good experience, I recommend it and will go back.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank UnforgettableRome
Ottawa, Canada
“a pleasant meal, lovely service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2012

We went here because the location is convenient, and we had heard nice things about it.
Decor inside is much nicer than the exterior would lead you to believe, and service was very pleasant and efficient.

Food was also fine, but nothing outstanding...I would not travel to get here, because there are many other better Italian restaurants in the city. Hoever, their gluten free menu must be a blessing to those who need it!

• Visited January 2012
2 Thank ottawatraveler_11
Ottawa, Canada
“Not just great gluten free food but great italian food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2011

We had dinner here 3 nights ago, i had veal stuffed with cheese and spinach covered in peppercorn sauce, amazing! My wife had the 4 cheese gnocchi. I'm not celiac but my wife is. the bread was great too.

• Visited April 2011