“Unique dining experience”

Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #26 of 2,736 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Sussex
Description: Asian Fusion, Sharing Plates
Ontario, Canada
“Unique dining experience”
Reviewed April 29, 2014

This restaurant offers a fresh selection of food that strays from your typical fare. I love the Asian and Mexican influences. The atmosphere was great, excellent service, stellar drinks. My only gripe would be that he portions were a bit on the small side, particularly for a place that expects guests to share. The fish tacos, although excellent, were the smallest fish tacos I have ever seen, especially at the $9/pair price point.

• Visited April 2014

Victoria, Canada
“Great atmosphere, decent food and poor service”
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I had dinner here recently with a large group. The food was pretty good, but a bit overpriced. Of the dishes I tried, the turkey main was good, the fries were tasty, and the chicken panang was bland.

The restaurant's atmosphere is quite nice - modern, open and lots of light. However, our server was extremely inattentive (e.g., took care of only one of our party's bills and didn't return for 10 minutes) and gave off a pretentious vibe.

It's possible that our server isn't representative of the general level of service, but I won't be returning anytime soon.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Pchanteuse
ottawa
“Unique Ottawa culinary experience”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

If you're looking for something a bit more unusual and don't mind paying a premium for small portions (small sharing plates), this is your place. Excellent, unique menu with lots of choice. Flavours are amazing and divergent for a discriminating palate. It's obviously doing something right to be listed in the 'Where to eat in Ottawa" Guide.

• Visited November 2013
Ottawa, Canada
“A Hidden Gem, but you have to look, to find it!”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We had heard about this Restaurant in Ottawa on the Byward Maket, but we could never find it on the market. However, this evening my husband and I happened to be in that area of the city, so we parked out car in the vicinity of where we thought 'The Side Door' Restaurant was located, and after asking around, we were directed to it's location. As we entered we were greeted by a beautiful smiling young woman by the name of Jen, and (I assume, one of the Restaurant Managers by the name of Earl). Both of them were very courteous and friendly. This being a Friday night, we were without Reservations, however, they managed to find us a couple of seats where we could enjoy our appetizers at a Bar type counter which made us feel as though we were eating at our own kitchen counter. At the counter, we were greeted by another beautiful smiling young woman by the name of Carla. Carla explained the menu to us and made us feel very much at home. We decided to try one plate of every taco on the menu. Good choice! The Fish taco was without a doubt the most delicious taco of them all for me, but my husband thoroughly enjoyed the pull pork and chicken tacos. We so wanted to try other things on the menu but by then, we were full and couldn't eat another bite. However, we definitely (God willing) will be back to taste other great foods on the menu. I have only one negative comment to make and that is directed to it's owner and CHEF. As we sat down at the counter we saw Jonathan (the owner) taking a swig and drinking from the spout of a BIG BEER PITCHER. That gesture was inappropriate. Here we tell our kids that it's bad manners to drink from a milk carton or juice jug. Here's a grown man, doing something that children are chastised for doing. Drinking from the spout of a huge beer pitcher is something you might want to do, while hiding in the back of the kitchen. I suspect that Jonathan would not want his staff doing that, in front of customers. He should set an example and behave better in public. Having said that, being a great CHEF is quite a feat however, having a good reputation is also something to be cognizant of. That aside, all in all, it was a very nice experience and my husband and I look forward to trying out 'The Lobster meal, and other great looking platters that waiters were wisking by us as we enjoyed our Tacos. We will be back and next time WE WILL make RESERVATIONS and sit in a lovely booth. By the way, we are a retired couple and we felt quite at ease in this lovely modern and inviting Restaurant. I read other reviews where 'Seniors' felt out of place in this youthful and cheerful Restaurant. Quite the contrary, we felt quite at home and the staff including the waiters were ALL so very nice, polite, and friendly. I'm going to tell everyone I know to give this Restaurant a try and I'm sure there are things on the menu to please all kinds of fussy palates.

• Visited April 2014
Toronto, Canada
“Culinary experience...”
Reviewed April 2, 2014

I have nothing critical to say except the prices, but the food and service are excellent and make up for any shortcomings in value. It's one of the best restaurants in the city.

I love the lettuce wraps, lobster curry and duck....oh yeah, the fish tacos are great too.

Visited April 2014