“Good Tapas but Pricey”

Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 2,738 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings, Bar scene, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Sussex
Description: Asian Fusion, Sharing Plates
Ottawa, Canada
“Good Tapas but Pricey”
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We were part of a group of 10 and my wife and I had never been to the Sidedoor Restaurant before. That being said we had heard very good things about it and were looking forward to trying it out. The décor of the Restaurant is really very nice and our Waiter was top notch. Our group decided that we would choose various items off the menu and share it among the group. The food really was delicious and I don't think I heard any comments to the contrary. My complaint though is that the dishes were very small, and not inexpensive, so needless to say we ended up ordering quite a few dishes and ended up with a rather large bill at the end of the night. The prices for wine and alcohol were also not cheap and in particular the wine list was very pricey so no one chose wine for our group. What did catch me by surprise though was when we received our bills the gratuity had already been added which I wasn't happy with. I have never had this happen to me in North America, and even though our service was excellent, I feel I should have decided what that was worth. Although the food was very good I don't think we got full value for what we paid. There are other high end Restaurants I would rather go to in future.

• Visited November 2013

“Creative an delicious tapas. Fish tacos the best. Book in advance.”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

This place was booked some months in advance, as it is always full. Went there for business with 11 colleagues for business/social. It's worth the wait.

The atmosphere is like a family restaurant. There were many tapas, and we let the waiter/chef choose for us. You will need several of these to share, and eat plate would be OK for 1 hungry person but ideal for 2. The chicken and beef tacos were good, but the fish tacos were a real standout and delicious. Had some random appetizer salads, also good, and the green curry and rice was good. The steak filet was awesome, perfectly done and LIKE BUTTER, it was so good. The lettuce wraps were also delicious. The beer/drinks/service was very attentive and helped the atmosphere.

The bathrooms were spotless, and they have some sort of sanitation system that is really fragrant and quite pleasant to the senses. I don't usually comment on this, but it was a standout.

Watch the bill though - they added the gratuity, which they may have done because we were a big group, but it would have been nice if they would have told us this. When the bill was split up, you would not have known and tipped twice.

Edmonton, Canada
“Small potions, large bill.”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

8 of us went for a night out on the town and decided yo visit the Side door. The decor is fantastic. The portion was incredibly small. I got the steak and I have seen more meat on a Big Mac. I Waldo ordered fries as a side and they arrived only after I asked about them and was finished eating. I have to say, the steak was cooked well but for $30, keep looking for another restaurant.

Visited October 2013
Gatineau, QC
“Very good but a bit pricey”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

Beautiful large restaurant located in the middle of By market which makes it an attractive location. Food was really good with a large selection of tapas. The service was also very good in providing some recommendations. Wine list is also quite comprehensive. I thought the price were fairly high for the portion which means I would not visit on a regular basis. Also, the size of some of the plates don’t really allow for large group tasting. It would be better if different sizes were available. Still pretty good place to go out for dinner.

Ottawa, Canada
“Surpassed our expectations!”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Not an add-on to an excellent restaurant upstairs, this busy, spacious space below, with an open kitchen, can easily stand on its own merits! Having a chef who won Bronze in Ottawa's annual Gold Plates competition in 2012 shows! The menu is very contemporary, with an emphasis on unfolded soft-shell tacos, small plates to share, but with a good selection of mains as well. We were three for dinner, and everything was delicious, especially the beef lettuce wrap, and the five donut sharing platter.
Being also a bar, there was an interesting selection of drinks and wine,.Service was attentive and knowledgeable. A happy spot on a Saturday night!