“Tapas = pretentious and overpriced”

Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #28 of 2,808 Restaurants in Ottawa
Cuisines: Asian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Sussex
Description: Asian Fusion, Sharing Plates
Reviewed February 23, 2013

As was my experience at a tapas restaurant in Montreal, sidedoor was very expensive for what we actually ordered and ate and the service was aloof and curt. The fish tacos were delicious but, seriously? The size of the dish was laughable, even for a tapas restaurant.

We also tried the ramen. Seriously skip this. It is packet noodles served in excessive grease and butter. Save your arteries and don't order these.

The decor in this restaurant was actually lovely, however!

There are newer reviews for Sidedoor Contemporary Kitchen & Bar

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Group of 8 with reservations; great service; wine prices a little over the top. Go for any of the tacos all were yummy if not a little difficult to share. The son-in-law egg was a poached egg in tempura that you mixed with rice- perfect on a cold night. All full for $105 a couple even with the overpriced wine.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

I came here to write, "Great food! Terrible service!" but I see this is already understood about this place. If I would have read these reviews first I would have expected to be treated rudely by the hostess and waiter. And you too should expect that when you join your party at the table, that all of your friends will share stories of how they were randomly insulted/ treated curtly/ treated just plain weirdly in the first 10 minutes of arriving.
Maybe like us, your table will make a game to shout out the number of times you are treated rudely. Like when the waiter walks away when you're mid-sentence, you say say "eight!" (Yes he really did that).
Next time I'll know that the waiter kind of wordlessly just stares at you, forcing you to say, "um... I guess I'll start then..." when you order. And when you say "I'll start with the (blank) and then have the (blank)." that really means they will bring everyone's starter and mains at the same time, so the table has about 600 plates on it.
And when you order drinks, maybe your waiter will decide on his own to make them doubles (even though it didn't taste/ look like a double) and you'll only notice when you get the bill for $22 drinks on it. And then he'll argue that you wanted it and refuse to deduct it.
And make sure to notice that your waiter might generously give himself 15% gratuity on your bill without telling you (maybe that's why he doesn't care about our service?).
BUT, as I said - as everyone has said - the food is great. I had the tacos and the donuts and they were top-notch. I was with a group of 7 and everyone enjoyed the food. But so what. Ottawa has lots of great places to eat.
Do they pay these people poorly? Does the manager beat the wait staff in between services? Why are the staff so miserable? It's a nice place! The food is awesome! It's not like it's a secret that the staff is rude, just look at the reviews here. Why does management allow this to go on? I have no idea.

5  Thank Canadian09876
Reviewed January 25, 2013

This place is wonderful for every (little) plate on the menu, but expect to have a large bill - it's expensive. It's definetly worth it though... if you walk passed the kitchen you get to see Canada's movie star chef, Jonathan.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

We went here on the coldest night of the year in 10 years and the place was not busy. The food was delicious but very very pricey for what you get in terms of portion size and service. I ordered two portions of tacos for a main course instead of an appetizer. Each portion was $9 and I got two 3 inch tacos with a tsp of meat inside. I was also not very impressed with the service. We were a group of about 12 and booked in advance. We were squished into a booth which at a push fitted 10. The men in our party decided to make life easy and head to the bar for some drinks pre dinner, as some of our party were not staying to eat. When the waiter came to take our order, I asked him if he could go to the bar (which was below where we were sitting and not busy) and take the men's order for dinner. He refused twice. By the time the men returned to our table the kitchen was closed and they did not get dinner. In addition to this, the waiter rarely checked on our table, in fact a good hour plus passed before he even came back to see if we wanted more drinks. I would rather spend my money somewhere like Mill Street where you get excellent service, great food and great portion sizes.

1  Thank chocs1