“Travelodge & Water Park”

Travelodge Ottawa West
Ranked #59 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed March 12, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Rose E, General Manager at Travelodge Ottawa West, responded to this reviewResponded March 15, 2014

Write a ReviewReviews (2,334)

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Rose E, General Manager at Travelodge Ottawa West, responded to this reviewResponded March 16, 2014

Reviewed March 11, 2014

It was my choice for our hockey team to stay here, because of the waterpark for 13 and 14 year old boys, to bond and have fun. On March 8th someone treated the pool area incorrectly and next thing you know people are throwing up and there is ambulances, fire trucks and police. Once the dust settled the pool opened back up but the kids didn't want to go in. The kids were not affected as the kids were playing a game at the time. What upset me was the fact that when I checked out nothing was said about last night and no discount because of what happened. At the same time I found out people were getting the discount if you asked for it. How low is that, kids, adults taken to the hospital because they got poisoned but the hotel doesn't have the decency to offer a discount at check out. Why should I come back, if there was an offer at least the effort was put forward. Are you going to credit my credit card? Overall the place was clean the kids had fun, it was just the incident that happened and the way it was handled by the staff.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge
Rose E, General Manager at Travelodge Ottawa West, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Hello and thank you for your comments regarding that unfortunate weekend please contact me directly regarding your reimbursement, I apologize that you were missed on the original list..

Reviewed March 11, 2014

The wave pool opened the day we got there after a fairly extensive reno. Only problem was the people looking after it clearly had no idea what they were doing. Some sort of chemical reaction from combining the wrong things created poisonous gas that burned the lungs of everyone in the pool area. Every emergency worker in the area dispatched and stayed for hours treating over fifty kids and parents. It was covered on the Ottawa news and everything. Completely preventable. My own kids narrowly missed the trouble, getting out of the pool only about ten minutes before it happened. Scary. As for the rest of the place, it's dated and dirty and the breakfast is well, crap. Still not the worst place I've stayed if you overlook the emergency. But all the same, I'd book elsewhere!

Room Tip: Don't book a room here. Go somewhere else!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your comments, please be assured that our guests safety is our number one priority, this was an unfortunate occurance.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stayed at this hotel because we were in town for a synchronized skating competition our team had booked this hotel because of the water park !! We'll it was a nightmare ! It was Saturday night around 7:00 pm we noticed an employee pouring two jugs of something into the hot tub within ten mins our throats started to taste like bleach my 5 year old son came out from the pool crying and wouldn't stop coughing a parent from our team said we have to get the kids out of the pool something is wrong in here all of the sudden kids started running out of the pool coughing having a hard time to breath throwing up everywhere .... We ran our kids back to our rooms and gave them water and started showering them .... The hotel staff was notified and REFUSED to call 911 two of our parents called 911 and hazmat ...... Around 45 people mostly children were affected and two of our girls were sent to hospital with burning on the inside of their throats a father has burnt lungs ...... That night around 10:00pm we spoke to the front desk and asked what is going to be done about their negligence and what they said was if you check out tonight we won't charge you !!!! What !! There have been no apologies made on behalf of the hotel or management in fact they were no help at all ! There is news stories about all of this ! The man before me had said the pool was closed for yearly maintenance has been lied to!!!! It's under investigations ! I will never stay at this hotel again or another travelodge it was a traumatic and horrific night for our team and families !! Seeing all these children struggling to breath and poisoned by the hotels doing is horrifying and to top it all off all they could say "it's not our fault !!!! What would you like us to do would money really make it better ???" How about take some responsibility and apologize !

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2014

I have stayed in many hotels in my life and this will be an experience myself and our hockey team will never forget. Im sure the children will not remember their hockey tournement but will remember the sadness of the trauma they went through with a mishap of chemicals in the pool which lead 6 of our hockey children to lose breath and on oxygen along with 20 or more people in a state of fear!

Many of our children have rashes, breathing problems and horsey voices due to a burn in the throat!

Not to mention the disscusting rooms, blood stains on the door, hair in the bath tub and many more things that made this trip we and team were looking forward to for so long, and really this was alot of hockey families first hockey tourney ever and it was not a good one! We cant turn back time and really wish we could! Nothing can make this better for any of us!

The resturant is no resturant it is a health hazard! They had one lady working only running around like crazy! I even offered to help her! I felt bad and she was very patient!

There were three employees only that made us feel better and thank you to some good people! but really I have never been so disappointed in my life and I cant even change it to make it better for everyone!

Do yourself a favor and shut this hotel down for renovations!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Rose E, Front Office Manager at Travelodge Ottawa West, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2014

Dear Guest, please accept my apologies for all the issues you experienced during your stay. It is unfortunate that this was your first stay with us as we are an extremely popular hotel with the athletic segment. Please be assured that our guests safety is our number one priority and this unfortunate incident has our full focus. Please contact me directly at the hotel to discuss.

Reviewed March 11, 2014

Very noisy hotel! As a matter of fact it looks like a hospice for sick/ill people. And it a hospice as long as it accommodates sick people (programs sponsored by the government). No offence or disrespect to the sick/ill people, but I thought this is a hotel not a hospital. Lots of bad and unpleasant experiences, though some people were nice and quite professional.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Hello and thank you for your feedback, I'm sorry the hotel did not meet your expectations, each and every one of our guests are valued customers, as you are.