“Nice way for hockey playing kids to unwind”

Travelodge Ottawa West
Ranked #59 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We stayed here over New Years weekend while In town for the Bell Capital Cup youth hockey tournament. The only concern we had was that the wave pool water was a little on the cold side and the parking was vey limited for a full size pickup. I believe the wave pool had just been repainted cleaned and refilled and was probably the reason for being cold. As for the parking, there was a wicked snow storm a day before our arrival and snow removal was a challenge all over the city that weekend. Overall we were very satisfied with our stay, in fact just booked rooms there for a lacrosse tournament later this summer- kids are looking forward to the wave pool!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the pool view with the balcony so we could watch the kids. Didn't mind the noise.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (2,365)

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Travelled to my old hometown of Ottawa to attend a school reunion. The hotel was well situated and the room was reasonably priced. Great hotel for family with children with its indoor water park. The room we had contained a microwave and sink/counter area which made bartending for other friends/guests a breeze. No cost parking was appreciated.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 2, 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Reviewed May 30, 2013

Reviewed May 29, 2013

It was out of desperation that I secured a room here for two nights. I arrived in Ottawa counting on staying with a friend but it turned out she did not have internet - which I needed for a project due the next day. I googled and quickly learned the city was virtually sold out for the week as a result of many conventions, not enough rooms. What was left were a few places across the river in Gatineau or the Travelodge on Carling Ave. Assured by their website that they offered internet - free, no less - I booked what turned out the be the last room. And what a doozy it was. First and foremost, the promised internet rarely kicked in. In spite of numerous complaints to the front desk - and later to a manager, who never did return my lengthy voice mail - the internet did not work and, as a result, I was completely unable to finish my project, return urgent work-related emails, throughout my miserable stay. While understanding it was a Travelodge, I did not expect a four star hotel, but this place should literally be shut down. Dirty, dingy and dated - absolutely foul. And the icing on the cake? I was given a room I later found out is described as having "an inner pool view". What this meant is a room with no outside windows - just a horrifying view of a big, blue pool, the strong scent of chlorine wafting through my room, which was damp and humid due to the proximity of the pool. The topper was incessant music blaring all evening and the yelp and squeals of kids splashing underneath my window. Don't get me wrong. I love pools and kids having fun but a room with no outside window, music blasting and wreaking of chlorine -- with NO internet -- does not a good experience make. Before you stay here, my advise is sleep in your car ... a tent ... anything. Worst hotel experience ever. Oh. And one more kicker. Deciding to drown my sorrows in a glass of wine, I headed to the bar -- to be told that their policy is not to allow clients to bring their drinks to their room. Instead, patrons were asked to have their drink at the bar. The dark, dingy, uninspiring, dungeon of a bar.

Room Tip: Want a good room? Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Rose E, General Manager at Travelodge Ottawa West, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

I don’t believe I have heard of a worse guest experience, no wonder you wouldn't want to stay with us again, as you stated the city was sold out leaving us with minimal rooms to offer and our internet bandwidth extremely busy. I so sorry you had to have this experience, however this is not the standard we strive for, in fact I'm so confident that you will be happy with your next stay, I would like to offer you a refund for your horrible experience and extend to you a complimentary stay next time you are in Ottawa. Please contact me directly at the hotel to make arrangements.