“Only if you have young kids...”

Travelodge Ottawa West
Ranked #59 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed June 11, 2012

It's not a bad place, the staff is really nice, it's clean, rooms are large enough...
But, if you don't have kids, don't go there. It was very very very noisy (even if we were not in front of the pool).
The pool was full of kids (school trips). They were playing football all accross the pool and lifeguards were playing with them...
It's far from downtown Ottawa (you'll be stuck in rush hour) and there's not a lot of things around.
So if you have kids under 12 years old, that's great. Without kids, don't go.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Karine L
GenM-Travelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Ottawa West, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Dear Karine L,

Thank-you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I appreciate your positive feedback on the hotel overall and I apologize for the difficulties you encountered with noise. I would like to let you know that we do offer an upgraded Executive Floor which we normally keep for our guests traveling on business. The floor features secure access only and is great for travelers wishing a quieter experience. I do hope you will come back again to visit soon and please know that I have shared your comments with our associates and management team. All of us at the Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. If there is anything I can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me toll free at 1-800-267-4166.

Daniel Greer

Write a ReviewReviews (2,362)

Reviewed June 5, 2012

A great place to stay specially with family as they have a GREAT wave pool and swimming pool.

Limited parking and expensive breakfast but overall a decent stay.

Conveniently located near a highway on/off ramp and minutes to downtown Ottawa.

Mall located directly across the street with many restaurants within walking distance.

Room Tip: quiet rooms on higher floors and as far away from the pool as possible. if traveling with baggage...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 22, 2012

stayed at the hotel for Victoria day week-end and the hotel rooms are nice, but in need of renovation (freshing up). The swimming pool was smaller than expected, but still had a good time. If possible request a room with a pool view, as they have a balcony, but also tend to be on the noisy side, but once the pool closes no noise is coming from the pool.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Our national not for profit association held its annual conference at the Ottawa West Travelodge for 4 days in early May. During our stay we used several meeting rooms as well as booking guest rooms for our registrants.
Throughout the planning process our experience with their conference organizing staff was exceptional . They were responsive to our associations particular needs and throughout the conference remained flexible and friendly.
The catering was just awesome - food at meals and breaks was consistently excellent and the catering staff could not have been more accommodating and friendly. Word from our registrants was that they were very impressed with the food and the service they received.
All of the staff we dealt with were approachable and clearly made every effort to help us deliver a seamless event to our registrants. It began to feel like they were part of our team.
Special thanks to Bonnie, Angel and Mary who really went the extra mile for us.
The Travelodge Ottawa West could use some updating but it is clean and from our perspective it's the staff that really counts.
The only real glitch that several of us encountered was the keys that easily demagnetized necessitating that we come back down to the desk and chat with the friendly staff.
Overall our experience with the Travelodge West in Ottawa was excellent. I would recommend them to others thinking of hosting an event.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
GenM-Travelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Ottawa West, responded to this reviewResponded May 23, 2012

Dear Terry S,

Thank-you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I appreciate your positive feedback and I am happy that your event with us went well. I apologize for the difficulties with the keycards demagnetizing throughout the stay. We normally pride ourselves on the level of guest service throughout the hotel and I am very pleased we met your expectations. I do hope you will come back again to visit soon and please know that I have shared your comments with our associates and management team. All of us at the Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. If there is anything I can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me toll free at 1-800-267-4166.

Reviewed May 18, 2012

I was moving back To Toronto and I stayed there one night to get a good rest before taking the highway. They allowed us to park the big truck and trailer in the bus only parking but when we pulled up in the parking lot and saw the incredible number of PARK AT YOUR OWN RISK signs I became a bit worried. We had a sports car on the trailer. When we went for a quick lunch at the restaurant it became clear that they have had safety issues when the waiter asked us if there was anything valuable in the car and to take out any radio, GPS etc.

Now for the place itself it is a very nice place, very clean and the water park is absolutely great. A bit disappointing that the access to the water park from our room was locked.

Beds are comfortable and we had a good night sleep.

Check out time was a bit complicated because the counter person was new but all in all it was ok.

Definitely recommend the place especially if you are in Ottawa with your kids, They will have a blast in the wave pool.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We went to Ottawa to see family and were looking for something fun. Our two boys are 7 and 5 and absolutely loved the wave pool and waterslide! They lasted for hours and hours and my wife and I had fun too! Nice hot tub, spots to sit around the pool, balconeys looking out over the water park ... pretty fun. The rooms and hotel were okay ... don't expect Great Wolf Lodge ... but for a cheap family getaway, I would do it again!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a balconey overlooking the water park. (although louder)
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank dwright21
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We are a family of 4 with 2 little girls of 5 and 7. We stayed for 2 nights. We picked this hotel especially for the water park even if we had read some bad revues here.

Here are the positive :

+ The room was clean
+ Staff at front desk was nice
+ Beds were comfortable (we had 2 queens). I know this was mentioned as a negative on previous reviews but as for us, beds were ok.
+ Waterpark (1 wave pool + 1 slide + 1 kiddie pool + 1 spa)
+ Our room on the pool side
+ Pool water is heated

On the negative side :

- Only 5 luggage cart for 55 rooms (Yes I did ask). This is minor and can easily be corrected. We had to use elbow grease to get our luggage in the room.
- On our arrival day, a Friday, the slide and the waves pool could not be open at the same time. The lifeguards would alternate every 20 min. When I ask the reason for that this is what was explained to me : The wave pool needs 3 lifeguards on duty and a regular pool only 1. So every 20 min or so they would stop the waves and send 1 lifeguard to open the slide. Since only 3 lifeguards were working, they could not operate the wave's pool and slide at the same time...

Hey guy's, please hire another lifeguard and ask him if he could bring one or two luggage carts on his way in ;-)

We are regulars of The Great Escape Lodge in Lake Georges and more recently of Jay Peak in Vermont. Theses water parks are about 12 times the size of this one but still, our daughters manage to have a great time here. Yes it is very noisy if your room give to the water park (it open and close at 10 Monday to Saturday and opens at 8 on Sunday morning) so don't expect to sleep in. But it's also a good thing because we could use it one or 2 hours before going to Ottawa's museum.

Foodwize it was ok but not great. We have our supper there on our arrival. It was a small buffet, around 8-9 dishes total, but did the job.

In resume it's a good place to go if visiting Ottawa and you have children under 10.

Will we go back ? Sure ! But I might call before to see how many lifeguards will be on duty...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
GenM-Travelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Ottawa West, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2012

Dear Sylvain B,

Thank-you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I appreciate your positive feedback and I am happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. I apologize for the difficulties with obtaining a luggage cart while you were with us and also that we were missing a lifeguard. Normally our water park is staffed to have all features open at the same time unless we have an unexpected absence. I do hope you will come back again to experience it as the staffing level you experienced is not our standard. I have shared your comments with our associates and management team. All of us at the Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. If there is anything I can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me toll free at 1-800-267-4166.