“DO NOT STAY HERE”

Travelodge Ottawa West
Ranked #59 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed February 27, 2012

Honest to god I never leave bad reviews but this needs to be said.... we stayed here with out 21 month old bc of the pool and slides however it was terrible. First we went to our room where the door was already opened but the key didnt work anyway once we left. than we went to have dinner at the resturant and there was one man working who gave us no menus and we seated ourselves after waiting on him, than we sit down at the table and the glasses my son was playing with were dirty from food, so we moved to another table at that table again the glasses had LIPSTICK marks on them ( OMG ), the highchair my husband grabbed looked like it was last cleaned maybe a year ago bc it was all sticky, the waiter finally came but we got up and left and went to the Monkey Joes Across the street for dinner. Finally got back to the hotel to use the pool but the room we paid more money for to overlook the pool and to have doors leading to the pool, were not actual doors you could use to go into the pool area??? extra money paid just to look at other ppl swimming?? the pool was freezing cold, so cold my son could not go in the kiddy waiting pool. The rooms were absolutly gross and we didnt notice at first because the lighting was very bad and the lamps all didnt work. The rooms were extremely small, even with the queen / couch option, everything was just pushed closer together. You could hear everything from the hall and other rooms not to mention our room had a door leading to the other room, lol. We travel often and this was by far the worst Ive ever seen, we have even been to overseas areas nicer. After waking up in the morning we noticed the blankets had been moved away from the box spring and to our surprise the mattress and box spring were completely stained beyound repair. Completely freaking gross and Ive never seen anything like it. The front desk staff never answered the phone when we called down 4 times so my husband went down and complained, they told him they were ordering new beds next month but gave us the 1 night stay for like $65. We also did eat the free breakfest in the morning bc my son was starving so we decided to make sure everything at our table was clean and eat and leave but that was a bad idea..... the food was to say the least BAD..... the eggs were a light yellow colour with no taste, cereal honestly was old and the toast was hard..... no bacon and the sauasges you could tell were old and reheated from the day before. my husband had waffles and asked the waitress why the food was old, hard, stale and she said bc it was sitting since this morning??? ya ok, needless to say we just simply left. DO NOT STAY HERE PLEASE! i dont mind cheap 1 night stays but this is not worth any money unless u NEED to stay somehwere.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Jamie J
There are newer reviews for Travelodge Ottawa West

Reviewed February 12, 2012

Well after reading the reviews I was not looking forward to our 2 nights here. We booked because of a basketball tournament so didn't have a choice of where to stay.
As has been said the bed was awful, mattress really soft and pillows thin and lumpy. The room decor and fittings were very tired especially in the bathroom - not a place you wanted to linger!
We were assured at check-in that we were in a quiet part of the hotel - however our room was right opposite the stairwell, elevator and drinks/ice machine so constant noise and door slamming. There were big groups of kids running up and down the hallways late at night making a lot of noise.
I didn't go in the pool so can't comment. My kids did go and their only comment was the water was cold and the slide was slow!
One good thing was our room although tired was clean.
So as the title says I would not ever go back.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank PLT_13
GenM-Travelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Ottawa West, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2012

Dear tallperson,

Thank-you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay with us. I am sorry that we did not exceed expectations during your recent stay with us. I apologize for the condition of the mattresses in your room. We have all-new mattresses and box springs purchased and we are just waiting on delivery. We are also currently working on some updates for our bathrooms. I also apologize for the concerns with noise during your stay. I am pleased to hear that you found the room clean as our level of cleanliness is normally something we pride ourselves on. I will look into the concerns in regards to the waterpark you mentioned. Again, I apologize that we did not exceed your expectations during your recent stay. It is only through feedback that we can work on improving our service and operations. I do hope that you will give the Travelodge Ottawa Hotel & Conference Centre another chance in the future to prove the level of service we pride ourselves. If there is anything I can do for you please contact me toll-free at 1-800-267-4166.

Daniel Greer

Reviewed January 19, 2012

On the one hand, a wave pool and water slide free with your room? Awesome. Peeling paint and ratty carpet in the stairwells? Not so awesome. It's great for families with younger kids. Rooms are nothing special, but are clean and comfortable, if dated. Be sure to call to find out when the water park is open--hours during the week can be inconvenient.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank SeeCanada
Reviewed January 17, 2012

We stayed here 2 nights for my daughter's hockey tournament in January. We had about 10 rooms, on the same floor. Our room was clean, with a king sized bed and a sofa bed. There was a mini fridge and a microwave. The mattress was old but we managed to find a good position in which to sleep. The walls are thin and we could here some of the conversations in the other room. Though our room was clean, another family on our team didn't as much luck... they found a used condom in a drawer and beer cans stashed in the sofa bed. The wave pool and the slide are great for the kids. There were plenty of lifeguards on duty. Breakfast was very good and they restocked plenty of times! It was freezing cold the weekend we were there and we had to park fairly far from the entries. One night, we came in at 9h30 and the side door wouldn't open, we had to walk in the wintery cold all around the hotel to get in...

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Julie B
Reviewed January 8, 2012

After reading the other replies I was concerned. It may just be that more people post to share the bad but not the good so I was very determined to make time to post this review. Firstly no sign of bed bugs in our room. We had room 174 which was big enough for 5 of us - Queen + pull out sofa, micro, fridge, sink - all working and comfortable. We streamed shows on surfthechannel.com so Internet was fine. Pool water was cool but not crazy cold or anything. We rather enjoyed the hot tub with no kids plus the kiddy pool with umbrella and little water guesers (or however you spell it) was warm anyways. The water slide is super fantastic. Water park was open all day Sat and at 8am Sun. There was a lot of chlorine but not
enough to bother us. Besides, I would rather have more than too little. Better safe than sorry.
We didn't eat at the restaurant because hotel restaurants are usually expensive. We brought a cooler of healthy snacks, drinks and junk food then ordered in food. Swiss Chalet is very close. There were plates and silverware in our room. We will go back and recommend to others.

Room Tip: Room away from the pool is quieter (room 174 is great). Having a balcony overlooking the water park...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank sxh230
GenM-Travelodge, General Manager at Travelodge Ottawa West, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Dear sxh230,

Thank-you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us. I appreciate your positive feedback and I am happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you will come back again to experience it. I have shared your comments with our associates and management team. All of us at the Travelodge Hotel and Convention Centre - Ottawa West appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon. If there is anything I can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me toll free at 1-800-267-4166.

Daniel Greer

Reviewed January 4, 2012

We were here for one night - New Years Eve with our Son, Daughter, Son-In-Law an Grandchildren. We had 3 rooms in total (all on same floor one of which faced the pool area) We chose this hotel for the indoor water park. It has a wave pool, water slide, hot tub and kiddie pool. Just enough and pleasant enough surroundings to be enjoyable. Lifeguards were great. Thy had to shut the pool down for 45 min to try and balance the chlorine level. They were very apologetic and we had a great time joking with them. The hotel and rooms were very clean. There was always a staff member vacuuming, mopping and picking up. There was a HUGE hockey tournament in Ottawa that weekend (10 to 12 years olds I think) Luckily not in the pool. NOW, the only reason it didn't get top billing from us was because of the dinner buffet. For $16.95 each ($9.95 for children) it was very pathetic, a lot of money and not all that great. The breakfast buffet at $10.95 each ($5.95 for children) was just so/so as well - not a huge fan of powdered eggs. We would certainly recommend this hotel and would have no problem going back to stay again. I can't forget a big shout out to Chantel for her help. Great job!

Room Tip: Skip the buffet dinner - no selection, not worth the money
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank mamandragon
Reviewed December 13, 2011

This facility offers good accommodation for the price. It has a great wave pool, with several rooms looking on to it. This would be great for families where parents can keep an eye on kids from their balconies.

The room was very clean and did look fairly recently renovated. Beds were comfortable.

I did not try the dining facilities since there were better options close by.

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the wave pool if you have kids. Otherwise you might want to stay away fr...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business