“If you need Wi-Fi, this is not the place for you” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Downtown
Ranked #46 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Maryland
“If you need Wi-Fi, this is not the place for you”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

As an airline crewmember I've been staying here for several years now. The wireless internet has always been bad and I was reminded this past week just how bad it is. I stay at over 100 hotels per year and I can honestly say this hotel has the worst internet service of all. That's why I am writing this review - so hopefully management will take note and fix it!

Even though I was on the 7th floor the best signal was "Holiday Inn roof." I think the building has about 15 floors so you can see I was far from the roof and a lot of concrete between me and the antenna. I tried calling my wife on Skype and the connection was so bad we terminated the call. Facetime did not work any better. I was able to check my email during the day, but after returning from dinner I could not even connect to the internet. Time to bring this hotel into the 21st century!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank geraldz
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Hotel & Suites Downtown, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear geraldz,

Thank you for taking the time to convey your comments regarding your recent experience with us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

Regards,

Jaime W
Case Manager
IHGCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

Location is convenient, room was clean and comfortable, and price was reasonable. However, I was particularly impressed with the friendly and efficient service provided by everyone I encountered, especially Shelley at the front desk who cheerily found me a phone charger when I lost mine. I did find the internet to be rather slow at night, but everything else was great.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Orillia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I've stayed at this HI many times while in Ottawa and have always enjoyed my stays. The rooms are clean, well appointed, and everything works. It is a high rise style hotel, so you need elevators. The elevators are older, slower, but not enough to prevent me staying there. You just have to spend some time waiting for elevators! From this hotel, you can walk anywhere in Ottawa that matters. The Parliament Buildings, Byward Market, restaurants, bars, attractions, everything. That's why I like the location. The parking at the hotel is limited, and the underground? Well if you have an SUV or larger vehicle? The entrance is larger than the exit! You may get in, but not get out! They have oversize vehicle parking, but it too is limited in size. Last time I stayed here, they recommended I park at the City Hall parking lot, just around the corner. I did. It was way cheaper and larger!

Room Tip: The north views are great if you get up above the 10th floor. If you like the sunshine, take the sou...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Waterloo, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013 via mobile

Clean rooms! The Suites were very spacious, staff couldn't be more helpful and the area is perfect to explore Ottawa!

The only negative was something that couldn't be helped. Construction in the underground parking and maintenance on the elevator was a little annoying.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Mirabel, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

My wife and I spent three nights at this hotel. We had no problem whatsoever, our 16th-floor room was clean and quiet. The three elevators were quick and efficient, resulting in minimal waits despite a full hotel. Service was excellent, every minor request was promptly followed-up on. The location is great, tons of restaurants nearby, but one block away from the main road (Elgin), and a stone-throw to the canal. Highly recommended overall.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Catharines, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2013

Clean, spacious rooms,friendly staff, parking for big & small vehicles, close to downtown amenities.

This is a reasonably priced hidden gem in Ottawa !

I have stayed in various Ottawa Hotels and this is by far my favorite.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Regina, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

I really like this hotel. It is less than 5 minutes walk from the Rideau Canal, 10 minutes from the Rideau Centre and the University of Ottawa, and 20 minutes walk to anywhere in downtown. It is also reasonably priced.
The room I had was a queen bed suite with a kitchenette. The kitchen was reasonably equipped, although not exactly generously equipped. The nearest grocery store is about 10 minutes walk away. The room is not huge, but it is reasonably comfortable. A little table with 2 chairs, a comfortable chair and ottoman and a smallish TV.
The only real complaints were that the refrigerator was noisy, and since the room was a studio style the bed is only 10 feet away, so as a light sleeper it was somewhat difficult to sleep. The other minor complaint is that all of the taps are backwards. They are all single handle taps with hot to the right instead of the traditional to the left. Confused me for the first couple of days.
There was no shortage of hot water, no noise from the hotel. Breakfast was good. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Both the front and the back are quiet, but if you are a late sleeper and you are there during the sc...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business