“Not quite what we expected”

Ottawa Marriott Hotel
Ranked #11 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Victoria, Canada
“Not quite what we expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

This hotel is conveniently located near a number of tourist sites, and it has a staff who try hard to be accommodating.

I booked a concierge level room. It was clean and comfortable. However, the concierge lounge was a disappointment. The breakfast offerings were very basic and the lounge was only open till 11 am with breakfast offerings finishing at 9:30 on weekdays. The lounge was not open at all in the evening. The hotel offered a $20 voucher for the restaurant downstairs valid from. 4:30 to 7:30 pm, but the environment was quite noisy there.

The restaurant has a more complete breakfast buffet and the staff are very pleasant.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the parliament buildings. Concierge level is probably worth the money...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank 837SherryM
OttawaMarriottHotel, Front Office Manager at Ottawa Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you very much for your constructive comments concerning your recent stay with us.

I want to thank you for the kind words concerning the service received from our associates both at the Front Desk and in our Restaurant. It is rewarding to read that we met this expectation for you.

I am very sorry that we did not meet your expectations during your visit concerning our offerings in the Concierge Lounge and the length of our breakfast times in the lounge. We pride ourselves on providing each guest with an excellent experience and based on your comments we did not achieve this.

I would appreciate having the opportunity to discuss the negative items mentioned in your review in order to have a better understanding and to provide you answers to your questions. You may reach me directly at hiram.buchman@ottawamarriott.com at your convenience.

Hiram Buchman
Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

Booked via Marriott site.

Arrived late afternoon and check in was friendly. The room on the club floor was smaller than expected but the view was great, from parliament to river. The king bed was comfortable, LED TV with good selection, decent sized bathroom, free Wi-Fi for free. Furniture was a bit old.

The gym was well equipped, however the room needs a bit of refreshing. Good selection of weight vs cardiovascular. The pool was nice and deep, no jacuzzi. The change room was in need of renovation contained the dry sauna.

The lounge was nice, provided scrambled eggs, bread, pastries, fruits, juice, coffee. The view was great too.

Plenty of on street at night and a few restaurants... This is downtown Ottawa so pretty dead at night.

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank Lubiere
OttawaMarriottHotel, Director of Operations at Ottawa Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Thank you for your positive comments concerning our hotel. Our health club and Concierge lounge located on the 26th floor are certainly fantastic amenities available at our hotel. We appreciate that you have highlighted these and many of the other services provided, and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We continue to focus on the guest experience and we are updating the furniture, carpets and lighting in these guestrooms, and this initiative will be completed by the end of the month. Once again, we thank you and we look forward to having the pleasure of hosting you again.

St-Joseph de Beauce
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2014

We were there for a short stay but loved our room... We were on the 19th floor, a corner room with huge Windows overlloking the river and Parliment buildings. Wow it was great, comfortable, and quite big. The only negative is the price of the restaurant on site , which is too expensive!!
18$ for a bufet breakfast...I don't eat much...even an order of toast was around 6$...
other than that, great location, rooms nice and clean.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank marieandr_ep
Thank you for the wonderful comments written concerning the view from your guest room. It is gratifying to read that the accommodation provided was a highlight during your trip. As for the breakfast cost, this feedback will be used to evaluate our offer to ensure that we meet the needs of guests. I can assure you that we will take the necessary measures to provide affordable pricing for this service. Once again, thank you and we look forward to having you back at our hotel in the future.

Vienna, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

This is just a very average Marriott hotel. Rooms are pretty large but are just kind of old. Bathrooms are clean but small. Wireless internet is free but is slow. Spin restaurant was average and expensive. Location is good and the staff was very friendly and made my stay as positive as possible.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
OttawaMarriottHotel, Director of Operations at Ottawa Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay at the Ottawa Marriott. We appreciate that you have taken the time to write comments on your impression of our hotel. I am delighted that our Host delivered brilliant service to you during your stay. We pride ourselves on providing each guest with an inspired experience and I am pleased that we succeeded in this area. I am disturbed however to read your comment concerning the state of your guestroom. We have recently updated our guestrooms and we are receiving wonderful feedback from our guest about these improvements. I would appreciate receiving more details including a room number from you so that I may inspect this room personally to ensure that it is up to standard.

I welcome the opportunity to further discuss your comments and you may reach me directly at stephane.pelletier@ottawamarriott.com at your convenience. I look forward to having the opportunity to talking with you very soon.

erin, ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014

My husband, teenage son and myself had the pleasure of staying at the Ottawa Marriott hotel this past weekend!!!! Top notch from the check in to our lovely room on the 18th floor overlooking the parliament buildings. The hotel was beautifully decorated and every staff member we encountered were very pleasant and went out of their way to make us feel special. I would definetely recommend this hotel to all my family and friends. THANK YOU!!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
OttawaMarriottHotel, Director of Operations at Ottawa Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review about our hotel. We are delighted that your family enjoyed our amenities and service. I also want to thank you for the great feedback described about the guestroom. We recently upgraded the rooms on the floor you mention and it is gratifying to read that you appreciated the new decor. We look forward to having you back and we thank you for your patronage.

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2014

Balcony corner room was perfect!! The only downfall was the constant beeping noise from snow removal equipment !! We were on the 22nd floor and it was very annoying ! No hot tub either which we found odd ... Yes I would stay here again

Room Tip: Corner room was fantastic
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank upsetottawa
Mississauga, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Really disappointed, not the 4 star Marriott I was expecting. The room we had was dingy and the fan was so loud I hardly slept. Woke up to drilling from renos going on in the morning. Really not pleasant this time around. I did mention my issues upon checkout and no real effort was made to do right by the situation, so no way I'd go back.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank gtgciao
OttawaMarriottHotel, Director of Operations at Ottawa Marriott Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Thank you very much for your feedback concerning your recent stay at our hotel. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and I hope that we can regain your confidence in the Ottawa Marriott.

Based on your comments, it is apparent that the state of your guestroom did not delight you. I would appreciate having the opportunity to speak to you in order to gather more information concerning the deficiencies described. We continue to make improvements to our facility and I want to ensure that we are addressing guest concerns accurately. I realize that this does not make up for the shortfalls you experienced and I simply wanted to communicate our commitment to improving the guest experience. I am also disappointed at the lack of empathy displayed at check-out. We pride ourselves on providing each guest with an inspired experience and based on your comments we did not achieve this.

As indicated, I welcome the opportunity to further discuss your impressions of our hotel. Should you be willing to grant me the opportunity to learn more, I invite you to contact me at stephane.pelletier@ottawamarriott.com at your convenience.