“Not like the photos”

Ranked #28 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Atlanta, Georgia
“Not like the photos”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

We booked the King Suite for a three-night stay, and were rather underwhelmed. First the good aspects: location was quiet at night and close to Byward Market, bed was comfortable, breakfast (not included) was pretty good, staff were nice and helpful!

Now the underwhelming aspects: our room was very odd. It was large - but the second room appears to have formerly had a jacuzzi b/c -- while it now has a desk and some random chairs -- there is a tile surround, a mirror, and a shower rail. The towels were ridiculously thin. The small bathroom also had broken fixtures and two lightbulbs that were out. The inn did such a poor job of dealing with ice on the sidewalk that it was a nightmare walking in or out of the building - and the parking lot was equally treacherous. The king suite (at least the one we were in if there is more than one) was not renovated - and looks nothing like the rooms in the other photos.

In retrospect, the Fairmount was only $20 more per night and we would have had an even better location and some luxury. Perhaps other rooms are better than this one - it was definitely not what we expected.

Room Tip: Skip the King suite.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KrisBAtlanta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Petawawa, Canada
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for a week long meeting in Ottawa. The location was ideal for the meeting. This is an historical house transformed into a small hotel. My room was clan and nicely decorated. It look like the ones you could get in Europe, small but functional. The noise level isn't perfect between rooms and the street but you can't expect that they make a modern concrete hotel from a very nice old building. The only thing really missing was a small fridge but you can use the one in the middle of the hallway. Beside the fact that it was close to my meeting location, it's only 5-10min walk for the By Market and couple minutes from a grocery store (24hrs) and a pharmacy. The parking is small for the hotel but there is some ($) not too far from it. The area is residential and university campus. I haven't got the chance to try the breakfast but the staff was very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I chose this hotel for my girlfriend and I to stay at due to the nature of the rooms. They have a much more modern look and feel when compared to other hotels with comparable cost. The location played a role too as we like to check out the Byward Market on our Ottawa trips.

We arrived a little early and wanted to park and ditch our stuff. The young lady working at the front desk when we got their let us check in early with no complaint.

The parking situation is a bit weird. There were all but 1 parking spaces available when we got there, parking is behind the building, and is limited to 5-6 spots. So I parked and we figured we'd buy a parking pass. It was 10 or 15 bucks I believe. Unfortunately, this 24/hr parking pass does not get you "in & out privilege"; meaning that if you pay for the pass, and then use your vehicle to go somewhere, you can lose your spot to another guest. This bothered me a bit. I would prefer to see a system where you get spot "1" for 24 hours and can come and go as you please. Renting out a parking spot that is already rented to someone else strikes me as wrong. Who knows though? I'm sure they have their reasons.

We got the Queen Superior Room With Fireplace. I tried to turn on the fireplace shortly after we got the room and it didn't work. So I went down to the desk to see if there was a trick to it or something and as soon as I mentioned turning on the fireplace the lady at the desk, who I believe was the owner, knew what room I was in and apologized, explaining that they couldn't get the fireplace to work. Before I could suggest lowering the cost of our fireplace room to that of one with no fireplace, she offered to give us a discount for the trouble. Ended up taking $30 off our bill, which I believe was actually more than just lowering the rate to a room with no fireplace. Overall I was very please with how she dealt with it.

The staff we encountered were all friendly and helpful.
We didn't eat the breakfast they serve, but we did go down to check out and saw the setup. We actually regretted not getting it; it looked great!

Be aware that there is no elevator. The staircase is a bit narrow as well but that's to be expected in an old building like this.

The building was in good repair and clean. The front door is kept locked and you either have to use your room card to get in or buzz the front desk. The front desk is actually in the basement when you get past that locked door.

Loved the plant growing in the main stairwell! It was a spider plant of some sort hanging like 2-3 floors down.

The room was comfortable, very clean, and modern. Bed was warm and cozy. The bathroom was renovated sometime in the last few years. Nice glass subway tile, clear glass partition for the walk-in shower. Not very much space to store personal items in the bathroom, but it wasn't a big deal.

I have seen some complaints about the neighborhood... We came back near midnight or so on our stay. Didn't see any shady people about. The area was quiet and peaceful.
Went out for a smoke in the middle of the night and again, it was quiet and peaceful. Said hi to those who walked by and all were polite and non-threatening. Don't get why people seem to think the neighborhood is crummy. I would wager it is people who already feel threatened by strangers for being strangers rather than any actual reason for concern.

All in all we had a great stay and I would recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the area.

Room Tip: Try to get a corner room. You get more windows.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JDPKingston
Okotoks, Canada
Reviewed December 16, 2013

The room had been booked for me by the agency I was working with. My flight arrived late so when I arrived at the door and saw that reception was only open to 11 pm, I was a bit panic sticken. I should not have worried. There was another door hidding an envelope with my name on it and soon I was through the front door. Inside, I found my room and was quickly enjoying all the ammenities of this boutique hotel. From the iPad in the room to the alarm, it was very modern and comfortable. Clean, cozy duvet and crispy clean.
I enjoyed the breakfast for the two mornings and it was a bounty - breads, cheeses, jams, muesili, granola, an assortment of nuts and seeds for your cereal and then eggs and french toast made to order. A breakfast fit for a King!
Sabine is a lovely host who clearly enjoys her guests and her hotel. I will be returning to this gem.

Room Tip: Look at the website because there are a variety of rooms available.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank DiamondJs
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We have had a lovely time at The Swiss. The rooms are modern and clean, you get an i-pad, free internet and anything you need for a comfortable stay. The owner is a lovely and friendly person who always caters to your every need. We recommend the breakfast, which is cooked to your taste. We got egg, French toast with maple syrup, fresh coffee, you name it...Loved our stay

• Stayed December 2013
Cobourg, Canada
Reviewed November 9, 2013

This was one of the best choices we made. We picked the king sized bed with claw tub and fireplace. When we walked in the four poster bed was stunning. The room was immaculate and the ambiance terrific. Maybe it is our European heritage but what a wonderful change from all our cookie cutter hotel chains. We walked everywhere since it is centrally located and as for those reviews talking about homeless and unsafe streets...no clue what city they were writing about as we walked to all the pubs and restaurants at night and all we encountered was university students. The city was the same as always. The breakfast was fresh and homemade prompting us to reserve for the next morning also...felt like eating at home and knowing where your food comes from. The room did what we wanted..we needed to get away and not feel like we were holed up in a room... This felt like a home away from home, naps in the afternoon, bit of lounging and reading with a glass of wine, and ipading! The owner was wonderfully friendly and helpful and I noticed that everything past reviewers mentioned the would have liked...frig, coffee station...was all in the rooms. Truly a wonderful weekend getaway!!?,

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper bottom floor does hear street noise...take earplugs...the room is worth i...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gabe B
Banff, Canada
Reviewed November 8, 2013

I had never been to Ottawa and just had the chance to go for 5 days for a conference at a swank place with fabulous architecture & interior decor. The price point to sleep at the conference venue was a tad too far from my budget......(more what I would imagine a lavish cruise ship might charge for intercontinental voyage). So I did some research and narrowed it to Swiss Hotel. My flight arrived past midnight - but the key card was right there for me with a personable note. Getting to my room, I was expecting small but it felt huge! Compared to places I've used in New York City- this place was a diamond find - the bathroom was comfortable, and decadently stylish, the shower had constant pressure, the toilets worked excellent...the furniture & fixing all high quality and way better than any typical 5 star hotel chain would provide. All the negative things I read about in the online reviews were ridiculously over exaggerated and petty. I received top notch service, helpful tips on where I could grab a quick bite of breakfast- this hotel is a true gem. It is run and staffed by experienced professionals- friendly people who go out of their way to provide platinum service. One thing that really stood out to me happened on my third night in Ottawa. Typical for this time of year, I came down with a cold and, in turn quarantined myself to the hotel room. The bed was comfy. Tissues- high quality. The room was a perfect temperature and spotlessly clean. Big widescreen tv with never ending channels, free wifi for my electronic doodads and a kettle for hot tea. Despite the regular bother of having a temporary ailment- nothing bothered me. It was super quiet- I slept like a log. I put a do not disturb on my door & was left to relax, rest, recharge. The next day the young girl at the front counter went above and beyond by lending me a lovely big umbrella to use. It was a tempest outside which my raincoat would have done scant good. I feel badly that it got stolen when I went shopping at some boutiques downtown. I should have stopped at a department store & bought a new one- and have noted to send a replacement in the post. The service & quality at the Swiss was so outstanding- I found it to be the sort of place that even the most itinerant of travellers might linger.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms are convenient if you have luggage. Windows are large and sunny but have floor to ce...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo