“Enjoyable stay but small standard rooms.”
Review of Swiss Hotel

Swiss Hotel
Ranked #30 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Chester, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable stay but small standard rooms.”
Reviewed September 11, 2011

First impressions when we arrive, pretty from the outside but was much smaller than expected when we walked in. The lady owner who was the only person we met was lovely! Really helpful, friendly and made us feel welcome. The room I admit was very small, there were two chairs which weren't really needed and took up lots of space. Only storage space in the room was a small wardrobe so we had to put some clothes on a large window sill. However, the decor was nice, good facilities such as ipad, large tv and lovely bathroom (bit small though.) Our room was only standard but was still quite a bit of money for the space we were given. The location is a good walking distance to the shops and restaurants but walking back at night is scary and I'm used to Manchester, UK and I was still a bit scared. There are lots of men hanging around the streets and drinking. It's not really the hotel's fault but just a warning to people who aren't used to it.
Also, the bathroom door had big scratches on it and the paint work had all come off it.
We really enjoyed our stay though and would probably stay again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank fiitalia

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 3, 2011

I've stayed at a Swiss hotel for three times over the past 4 years and in my opinion it has only become better over the years and I have nothing but excellent remarks to make. It's newly refurnished, clean, cozy place with an excellent offerings, some of which are high-speed internet, ambient and gorgeous room decorations. The price and location, coupled with a one of the kind breakfasts you cannot get anywhere are the top selling features for me. Thank you, thank you and thank you, Sabina and the entire staff. You are amazing!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Fife, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2011

We booked a special 3 night deal at this hotel over the internet but the price wasn't quite so good when you realised there was no breakfast involved and you had to pay $ 12 per day for parking. Fortunately we got the last parking space and there the car stayed for the entire time we were in Ottawa.
The room on the 3rd floor was clean and comfortable and had recently been re-furbished with a large walk in shower in the ensuite. The bed linen seemd very high quality and the hotel, being on a quiet side street, didn't suffer from road noise too much. There were ironing facilities on the second floor and an ice machine and fridge on one of the other floors, One draw back was the lack of wardrobe or drawer space which was limited to a small closet with 5 hangers and two shelves - not much use when you have two weeks worth of clothes to store! However on the plus side there was a very good hairdryer and also a superb hair styling tool which I loved so much I wanted to steal (but didn't!) There was also an I -Pad in the room which was fairly useful for looking up directions but Ottawa is such a walkable city that we soon got the hang of where things were.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank woodybark
Vancouver
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Stayed in this hotel for a couple of nights, it is within a short walking distance to all the Ottawa attractions. It has the feel of a little European Inn, has all the amenities, the beds are wonderful and it is impeccably clean. It is situated on a quiet street, they offer a buffet breakfast for $15.
The only negative is that there is no elevator, so if stairs are a problem, best to request a room on the main or the first floor.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank FrancineVancouver
Michigan
Reviewed August 20, 2011

The price was right and the location was great, if you're interested in walking around downtown Ottawa, the Byward Market or the university area. The cleanliness of this boutique hotel could not be faulted, but the mini rooms reminded me of Paris hotels we've seen. There was a complimentary Internet station in the hallway, but no public rooms or lounges. I suppose you could relax in the basement where a $30 dollar breakfast was served, but we opted out of both the breakfast and spending any time in that dungeon. Swiss Hotel has 5 parking spots at $12 per night.

But again....for the price....the location could not be beat!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Lisbon
Reviewed August 12, 2011

I've stayed for 4 nights at the Swiss Hotel in Ottawa. The only downside was that the room was small. Everything else was really nice. Confortable bed, small but modern and clean bathroom with shower and excellent location. All in all, good price for the room. Package didn't include breakfast.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 8, 2011

I had a few problems with this little hotel.
The website is very sophisticated and that presents an impression that doesn't jive with the rest of the experience.

The lady who owns it is indeed personable, but she's also always ready with quick excuses for why things aren't working properly. The internet was not available in my room as advertised. She blamed the construction in the area, but the wifi on the main floor was working just fine. It's great that there's an ipad in the room, it's cool and all, but if the router is dangling off the hallway wall, it's not going to work so well. And I wasn't the only one bringing this to her attention. She claimed that in 7 years, this never happened before. She kept insisting that the Swiss hotel was the first in Ottawa to offer free wifi in every room. This may be true, but I didn't get to experience it. There is a computer in one of the common areas, and it also was working fine, but, as someone who works while traveling, I rely on having my own computer having internet access.

There was an area in my room for a kettle and coffee etc. The plug for the kettle, however, was too short to reach the plug on the wall, so I had to boil my water in the bathroom. The creamer packets were very old....the powder came out in chunks and my in-room coffee was undrinkable. The washroom, while cool and modern, only gave me luke warm water from the sink. The shower was very clean and the little soaps and shampoos were nice.

The bed was probably the best bed I've ever slept in. Very comfortable. The room was very clean and quiet. I heard no noise during the night. The standard room I had was too small for the furniture that was jammed in there. The alarm clock is cool because it's also a dock for an ipod. It's frustratingly difficult, however, to actually set the alarm.

I had breakfast one of the 3 mornings I was there. It's $15 and she does put on a pretty fine spread. She cooked up an egg and piece of french toast fresh for me and it's easily one of the best breakfasts I've had while traveling. There's really something for everyone and it's homemade.

Given that I had no access to the internet as advertised, however, I kind of thought she might've foregone the charge for my one breakfast, as a token of customer service for not providing an advertised service. She didn't.

It is very close to everything you'd want to get to as a tourist. Walkable to the grocery and liquor stores, bus lines and an 8 minute walk to the market.

I stayed two more nights in Ottawa at one of the chain hotels for the exact same price/night and had my breakfast included in the price, so it'd be difficult for me to want to stay here again.

There wasn't anything monumentally wrong with this hotel, but I think the price/night isn't reflective of the quality advertised. I'd have no problem paying $85/night for the same room but for what she's charging, it's seems a bit unbalanced for what I got, considering I can directly compare with the other hotel I stayed at during this trip.

Room Tip: Stay 3 nights for the best price