“Perfect location”

The Westin Ottawa
Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 7, 2014

In keeping with the Westin brand, the hotel itself was excellent - service & experience you'd typically expect. Room was nicely appointed & I particularly enjoyed my 22nd floor view.

The location though is likely it's best asset - close to the action. The Rideau Canal is right across the street, Parliament Hill a couple blocks away, Rideau locks one block away. Take the indoor walkway directly into the 'OCC' (Ottawa Conference Centre) or another walkway directly into a shopping centre. A two block stroll will put you right into the 'market area' where you have a smorgasbord of eating options. If you care to take the time, stop & be entertained by numerous buskers showcasing their unique talents.

For business or pleasure, an excellent choice.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper level room on the west side. The views will knock you over.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Dear Swazimac,

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted to hear that you had an excellent stay here with us at the Westin Ottawa.

I’m so happy that you were able to enjoy the view from the 22nd floor; it’s one that we never tire of. We are fortunate to be situated right in the center of capital; it’s wonderful that you had the opportunity to explore the market and the unique culture of downtown Ottawa.

Ross M

Write a ReviewReviews (2,201)

Reviewed July 6, 2014

Good clean hotel. Centrally located and close to all the sights, sounds and especially smells during Rib Fest!...Also good shopping is close by, the Rideau Centre is connected to the hotel. Staff is courteous and efficient.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2014

Dear Duck-Nanni,

Thank you for your comments. I’m delighted that you had a great experience with our staff and liked your stay with us.

Ottawa has so much to offer, we are lucky to be located in the center of it all. I hope you took full advantage of rib fest, the capital has such great festivals!

We hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed July 4, 2014

very nice hotel
newly renovated
rooms are spacious and confortable
even have rooms with sporting equipment
very busy hotel
might be bait noisy sometimes
right in the center of the city
opens up on mall

Room Tip: get higher floor rooms for more peace
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Superdoc2690

Dear Sabbah2690,

Thank you for your comments. I am so happy that you enjoyed our hotel and had a comfortable stay!

Please come back soon.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

On Sunday June 29th, 2014, I went into the Westin gift shop on the first level because my elderly grandmother was getting fatigued by the sun and needed a hat (the Rideau Centre was closed and the gift shop was the closest to where we were). After purchasing her hat, she needed to use the washroom. When we asked the Concierge desk, we were told that washrooms were on the third level and could only be accessed with a room key, no exceptions. I requested the concierge to make an exception in her case since it would be too uncomfortable for her to hunt for a washroom in the mall or make the trek to the Chateau Laurier. "We cannot help you sir." "But I have a SG card, and have been a Westin guest many times." "I'm sorry sir."

I've stayed at many hotels around the world. This is the first time I've encountered something like this. How can a hotel that calls itself one of the finest in the city not have a washroom for visitors? The way my grandmother was treated, just left a bitter taste in my mouth.
Needless to say, I am never keeping guests at this hotel, or ever visiting Daly's. And I'm going to give preference to other hotel groups when I can while traveling.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank P M
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Dear P M,

Thank you for your feedback.

As our third floor washrooms are right beside our direct connection to the Rideau Centre, we have a policy in place that they are always locked and only accessible by guest room key. This is a courtesy to our guests and also a security measure that we take. I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, as this is never our wish. I will bring this comment to our next Operations meeting, as we are always open to discuss feedback that pertains to our hotel policies.

We hope to see you again.

Reviewed June 30, 2014

The Westin is my "go to" hotel in Ottawa. It is a great downtown location attached to the Rideau Centre and within walking distance to Parliament Hill. I have been there many times and was pleasantly surprised with my recent visit. The rooms have been renovated and modernized. I stayed in a suite which large and nicely appointed. The bathrooms have been upgraded with walking showers and I think heated floors. Then only compliant with the room was that the closet is tiny!! I stayed for 5 days so my three suits and shirts just didn't fit in the two foot closet. I found the "smart" elevators excellent and was impressed with the short wait times.

Staff were friendly and helpful and I found amenities such as running gear availability very convenient.

My $354.00/night suite included the wi fi so that wasn't a factor for me.

Great stay....I'll be back!

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevators and the ice machine. Both are co-located and very noisey.
1  Thank Gnatsum

Dear Gnatsum,

Thank you for your comments; we are delighted that you had such an excellent experience staying with us!

Our whole team will be quite happy to hear that you found our new elevator system excellent, we have invested a lot of time and resources into this project, and to hear positive feedback makes our day. We’re also happy that you enjoyed your room and that you took advantage of our new balance gear lending program, we’re hoping you joined our Run Westin team for a tour around the Rideau Canal!

The closet space is definitely something I will bring back to the team at our next Operations meeting; we are always looking for ways to better our property in order to provide our guests with the ultimate experience. Thank you again for your feedback.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

I stay here frequently on business. I think the elevator problem has been solved. The rooms have been renovated. The beds are awesome. Fitness/pool are very good. I have not tried the restaurants - I usually walk over to the market area. Lack of free wi-fi is a pain. Line-up at check in has been slow the last couple of visits. Excellent location. If you are a runner you must try running along the Rideau canal. I am Canadian and I love to get a room with a view of Parliament - just something about that...

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Dear jlk919395,

Thank you for your comments.
It means a lot to us that you mentioned our elevators; we have invested considerable resources to modernize them so that we are able to provide our guests with a state of the art experience.

We are also delighted that you enjoyed our beds – the Westin Heavenly bed is something we pride ourselves on. There is nothing like the comforts of a good sleep!

The next time you stay with us we highly recommend a visit to Daly’s for our breakfast buffet, it’s delectable! The Shore Club is also a great spot; we enjoy their seafood menu and prime Alberta beef.

I see that you mentioned wait times for check in and the lack of free Wi-Fi, these are two items I will be taking back to our team to discuss and evaluate.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

The hotel's location is great. The room is large and clean with big windows, and the bed is very comfortable. The views from the room were great. I could see Rideau Canal and Parliament Hill and Buildings. The hotel is connected with Rideau Center, and close to Byward Market and Parliament Hill. We had a really nice stay.

Room Tip: Room with a view of Rideau Canal and Parliament Hill.

Dear Chul A,

Thank you for your feedback. We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us!

Here at the Westin Ottawa we consider ourselves lucky to be located in such a prime and central setting. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed the view, it’s one we never tire of. We do hope that you had the chance to experience the Byward Market and the rich history and culture of our nation’s capital while you were here.

Thank you again for your comments and we hope to see you again soon!