“Westin Ottawa weekend getaway” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Westin Ottawa
Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
“Westin Ottawa weekend getaway”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2014

Staff friendly and helpful. Perfect location for museums, galleries and good restaurants nearby, especially Domus and Beckta. Ottawa is a great city to walk about. Market nearby. Room was clean, spacious and comfortable. Westin beds are the best. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear Jim D,

Thank you for your comments. I am delighted that you had such an excellent stay. One of the reasons we love our property is because of it’s amazing location, so close to many incredible restaurants (Domus and Beckta included) and great culture and history.

I am also happy to hear you enjoyed your sleep in our Heavenly bed, our beds are something we pride ourselves on.There is nothing like a great night’s sleep!

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!

Ross M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Vancouver
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2014

I am a Gold level Starwood member, but apparently this hotel never got the memo...ever...despite repeat visits. My organization uses this hotel for a lot of meetings so have no choice. This trip is for five days.
Upon my first arrival the front desk gushed that they had be me in a Deluxe Room with a sweeping parliament view. First of all, all the rooms are exactly the same so don't get conned. If you are a Gold Preferred Starwood member you are supposed to be on the top few floors, but "sorry they are all full" is always the excuse. The view is supposed to be the difference but if you are on the south end of the hotel and on lower floors the view is of the conference centre and the performing arts centre. I asked to be moved and was told the hotel was sold out. Got a message to move the next day so I did to a north corner room with the view...facing an office building. See photo. The furniture had not been dusted in week; come on folks I can keep a house cleaner that that! Walking down the hallways the carpets are all buckled and dirty. I saw room service items left in the hallway for three days without ever being collected. And the housekeeping doesn't come to clean the room very quickly, on day it was nearly 4 pm! And don't bring lots of hanging clothes, the closet has exactly 9 inches of hanging space on the rod. Someone needs to amp up their game. Please can I have my Fairmont Chateau Laurier Hotel back!

Room Tip: Demand a room above the 14th floor facing west.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Piperbear
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, May 15, 2014
Dear Piperbear,

Thank you for your feedback. I am very concerned with your comments and bringing this information directly to the appropriate department heads to discuss. We do not take unsatisfactory service experiences lightly here at the Westin Ottawa and I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay further. Should you be willing to grant me the opportunity to learn more, I invite you to contact me via rmeredith.01083@westin.com at your convenience.

I hope to hear from you in the near future.

Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2014

My friend and I arrived in Ottawa airport past midnight. When we checked-in at the Westin, we were told that there was only one room left and we had to move out of that room the next morning and move into a different room. We were not very happy about that but we were too tired to even discuss the matter further. We pulled out as little as we needed for the night so that we didn't have to worry too much about packing again the next morning for the move between rooms.

The next morning when we went down to the reception and asked about the moving arrangement and expressed our disappointment about having to move from room to room. We were told the room we allowed to stay in the first night is a connecting room which was booked by a family for the second day of our stay. We got upgraded for the rest of the stay to a "much better room" though the only difference we found was an extra chair, a different coffee maker ( which is still a pretty sad one for a hotel chain as Westin) and "better" view. Nothing is bigger or better in our point of view but glad that we didn't have to move from room to room on a daily basis. I have never experienced moving room involuntarily in my whole travel life around the world.

For the inconvenience we were credited back for our internet usage during the stay and a cup of Starbucks coffee. Then we were surprised with a $10 bottle of wine, cracker, cheese and jam.

Interestingly during our stay and every day of our stay we heard of guests complaining about Westin. We could not even avoid hearing about the complains as there was this lady who was riding in the elevator pretty vocal about her previous experience with this hotel. She only stayed at Westin while we were there because the Fairmont was fully booked. The other gentleman in a suit complained loudly and swore never to stay at Westin as we walked past the Check-In desk.

It's also never fully staff at the reception desk. The design or foresight of electrical outlets in the room is very poor. Mostly located on the front side of the desk and not all working. All phones in the rooms were very dusty and dirty. We had to wipe down before we use them. Hard to believe the coffee maker they have in the room at this particular Westin! You have to see it to know what I mean. Stayed at so many Westin worldwide and this one made me laugh. Good or bad.

If you ever need assistant Andrew at the Concierge Desk is the person you should look for. He has excellent recommendation for restaurant,etc. Andrew is very proactive and thoughtful. He even ran out of the hotel chased us down to let us know when the restaurant would be opened so that we could time ourselves and made suggestion how we could spend our time before the restaurant is opened for lunch.

Room Tip: Plan to arrive as soon as the hotel allows for check-in for the better selection and availability of...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank TravelPuggy
Dear TravelPuggy,

Thank you for your comments. I am disappointed that you and your friend had this experience while staying at the Westin Ottawa. It’s even more disheartening to hear that you heard other guests commenting negatively about our hotel. We take unsatified guests very seriously here so you can be sure that I will be sharing this information at our next operations meeting, as we always share and communicate guest feedback.

Aside from simply sharing this information and discussing with our associates I would really like to gather more information about your stay, if you would be willing I would like to hear directly from you so that I may learn more. I invite you to contact me at rmeredith.01083@westin.com.

I hope to hear from you in the near future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2014

My trip started well. Upon checking in I was told that I was the SPG member of the day and was given an upgrade to a suite. It ws ahuge with 2 full rooms, massive closet space, 2 or 3 TV's a tub + huge shower and a great view! My only regret was that I was in town for only about 40 hours so I didn't have the chance to use most of the amenities.

the location is hard to beat in Ottawa. It's right across the street from the Parliament buildings, a 5 minute walk from Sparks St. which good little shopping + restaurant area, and a 5 minute walk in a different direction from York St which is full of restaurants + bars. also, in a different direction, about a 5 minute walk from the University of Ottawa.

Room Tip: I had a free upgrade to a suite. It was excellent.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear Mike D,

Thank you for your comments! We are absolutely delighted that you had such an excellent stay with us here at the Westin Ottawa. We always want to provide our guests with a unique and special experience, so when we get great feedback like yours we know we’re meeting our goals!

We hope that when you join us again you have the time to fully experience the hotel as well as the amazing restaurants, shopping, history and culture surrounding us.

I hope to see you again soon.

Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

We were impressed with the room which had been updated. I remember the Westin as an upscale hotel with the softest, best linens and towels. Well, the towels felt like they had been taken off the clothesline...not fluffy. The room amenities were poor average and not good enough....the shampoo, etc.
What I found incredible was the charge for the use of room wifi. Neanderthal. In 2014, wifi should be available throughout the hotel.
These details are what makes a hotel experience more enjoyable, more of an "ahhhh" feeling. My feeling was more like, "meh". Too bad.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank marcia s
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, May 12, 2014
Dear marcia s,

Thank you for your feedback. We are well known for our Heavenly experience and receive a lot of positive feedback regarding our bed, bath, and spa products. I am truly sorry that you had the opposite experience and I will definitely be taking this up with our team to further input procedures to ensure quality control when it comes to these products.

You also identified that you weren’t happy with our internet charges, I am going to take these comments to our next operations meeting and discuss. Thank you again for your feedback, as much as we like to hear that our guests have had an excellent experience with us; we realize that receiving this type of information is just as much a benefit as it prompts us to review our current practices and stay on top of our game.

I hope to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2014

Recently spent just one night here and everything was as I expected from Westin standards. Moreover, this property's proximity to downtown tourist attractions meant easy access to restaurants and shops. Found the hotel workout facility to be above average in terms of choices available, to include a pool. Interiors were well decorated and maintained. Service was predictably reliable. Great for business travel. Would return any day.

• Stayed April 2014
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014

My fiance and I booked a last minute room reservation at the Westin Hotel in Ottawa after celebrating our engagement party with our families down in the market. Melissa from Front Desk promptly arranged the booking then she congratulated me and assured me that the room would be available upon our arrival. Later that night when we checked into our room, we were pleasantly surprised by the breath taking view of our room. Melissa had booked for us a corner room on the 20th floor with one window facing the parliament and the other window facing the Byward market. We were also pleased to find an amenity (champagne & chocolate dipped strawberries) waiting for us and card with a message from the Westin staff that concluded with "...thank you for sharing this celebration with the Westin team."

Thank you Melissa from Front Desk and thank you Carly from Service Express for all your hospitality and for making our stay most memorable.

Matt & Sophia Sellers

Room Tip: Choose a corner room that faces the Parliament from one side and the Byward market on the other side...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, May 2, 2014
Dear Sophie D,

Congratulations again from the Westin Ottawa team and thank you for your feedback! At the Westin Ottawa we feel very special when guests choose to celebrate here. Most, if not all of our team, would tell you that it’s truly one of the best parts of our jobs. We are so happy that you had an excellent stay with us and wish you and Matt a lifetime of happiness!

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.