“Excellent service and hotel”
Review of The Westin Ottawa

The Westin Ottawa
Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 22, 2014

What more can I say? It has a good gym with two rooms and a lot of equipment, jacuzzi, swimming pool, quiet rooms, large wonderful beds and a unique system for the elevators (advertised as the only one in North America). They care about their customers: the stopper in my bathroom sink was not working but I did not bother to report it, since it is common to find this issue in many hotels. However, the maid must have noticed it while cleaning the room because an employee of the hotel knocked on my door, saying that he had come to fix the problem with the sink stopper. Also, one morning I woke up to find a note under my door: it explained that the hotel was very sorry for the noise outside the previous night, but it was caused by construction being performed by the city of Ottawa and that the hotel had contacted the city to complain about it. I am a light sleeper and did not hear any noise, although I understand that some people staying in rooms in a different location, heard it. These examples show the care the hotel administration has in relation to its guests.
The only negative point about the hotel is that its restaurant, Daly's, is extremely expensive, so be aware that breakfast is not going to be any cheaper than, at least, $20.00. It is a robbery! Since there is a mall attached to the hotel and you have no need to go outside, you can always avoid the exhorbitant prices for breakfast in the hotel by going to the options offered in the mall.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,191)

Reviewed March 21, 2014

I was pleasantly surprised with the whole experience. I am generally not one for larger chains, preferring boutique and BnBs, but the conference convenience in the cold won. The room was clean and well appointed (so happy they had not surrendered the room beverage service to those dreadful Keurig machines! I love tea that doesn't taste like coffee). The view of Parliament Hill both day and night was lovely.
The best part of this place is the staff. They are friendly, helpful and just the right amount of outgoing. From the moment they greet you to take your bag after a long trip, you feel welcome. Clearly, the place is well managed and customer service is at the core. Nicely done!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank NeophyteHiker
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Dear NeophiteHiker,

Thank you for reviewing the Westin Ottawa. I am thrilled to hear that you decided to stay with us and that the experience exceeded your expectations.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Be well,

Ross M

Reviewed March 20, 2014

My husband and I stayed here recently for a conference at the hotel. I have to say we were quite impressed. The staff were so attentive and welcoming. We had a lovely room with amazing view of the canal, Parliament Hill, the National Gallery, etc.
Having visited Ottawa only a few times in the past for the National Gallery, we would definitely stay here again. I want to mention that they catered the conference dinner and the food was very good. So good in fact, we ordered room service twice for dinner.
A really pleasant stay and will definitely return.

Room Tip: starwood members have their own floor-amazing, panoramic views from large windows
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We had our wedding reception at the Westin and stayed for 2 nights following. Our suite had a wonderful view of the canal and was spacious and clean. The location is fantastic being attached to the Rideau Centre Mall and 2 minute walk into the downtown Byward Market. Hubby and I spent the day wandering the little streets together and checking out the many restaurants.

The staff leading up to the wedding and during our stay were phenomenal: super attentive, courteous and made us feel like royalty. Highly recommended for a short stay and especially for a wedding reception!

Parking is Rideau Centre parking or you can pay extra for valet.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Anne P,

Thank you for your comments. I am honoured that the Westin Ottawa was your destination choice for your wedding reception, and very happy to hear that your stay was wonderful for this very special occasion!

I hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our hotel again in the future.

Be well,

Ross M

Reviewed March 12, 2014

Travel quite often worldwide but first time to Ottawa. The familiarity of the staff in checking me in, greeting and answering all my very specific local questions (dinner, where to rent skates to blow some steam off on the frozen canal out front, etc) was WELCOMED and exactly what I have become accustomed to in every country I visit. It was refreshing the comfort I felt (almost like home) when I checked in!

Room Tip: Rooms one the front of the hotel are just fine unless there is a big accident out front!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2014

With great views of the parliament buildings, The Peace Tower, and the Rideau Canal, The Westin has indoor access to The Rideau Centre, and is a short walk to The Byward Market. The rooms are spacious and clean and check-in service fast and efficient. Excellent valet and concierge service. Pool and gym are just slightly dated but its an older hotel in the heart of the city, and not expected to have water slides or a grandiose pool as in some of the suburban hotels. My kids wanted to know when we'd be returning next.

Room Tip: Ask for adjoining rooms and a view of the canal on a upper floor.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here with our 6 yr old for 1 night. The check-in process was fast and professional. We used the valet parking which was also great. My daughter received a welcome pack with all kinds of fun things to keep her busy during our stay.
The room was large and clean. The "city view" is not very nice. Rooftops and construction.
The only negative comment is that the noise from the ice machine just down the hall was very loud and made it difficult to fall asleep.

Stayed: March 2014