“Great Accommodations in Ottawa”
Review of The Westin Ottawa

The Westin Ottawa
Ranked #8 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 1, 2014

Beautiful hotel, close to everything and conveniently connected to the Rideau Centre indoor shopping mall. Traveled with two teenagers on March Break. We were able to walk just about everywhere, except for the Museum of Natural History. The Mint, the National Gallery, the Byward Market, cinemas, restaurants and Parliament Hill were all very close, as was the train station, which was only about a $10 taxi ride. The rooms are new and clean with lovely city views. The pool and hot-tub and exercise areas are well-appointed and accessible. The breakfast restaurant also has a lovely view of the cultural centre and the canal and the buffet was wonderful. It was a very pleasant way to spend a few days in the Capital.

Room Tip: Stayed here many times and never had a bad room. The hotel is quite new. You can choose a room wit...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Westin Ottawa

Reviewed January 29, 2014

The Westin Ottawa is convenient to the mall, restaurants downtown, and the like. The beds are heavenly of course and the only pain is the parking which is $20 bucks a day. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2014

We were very impressed with our two night stay at the Westin Ottawa. A few days before our arrival we received an email from the concierge informing us that we would receive a free upgrade as a SPG gold member and asked if we had any special requests/special check in times...a nice gesture. The room was amazing, we had a Parliament view room, spectacular views! Bed was totally comfortable as usual in the Westin. The only problem we had was with the refrigerator, it did not work and we had medicine we needed to keep cold. They said they would send up a replacement one (on two separate occasions) and never did. We made due by keeping it on ice, but was disappointed that they never followed through. Also, we requested (in the email to the concierge) to not have housekeeping and instead receive an extra 500 StarPoints, this request was ignored as well.

Overall, these were minor problems and we would definitely stay here again. The location across from the Rideau Canal is absolutely perfect, with a short walk to the Byward Market area. Also, the hotel is conveniently connected to a mall so we enjoyed shopping/having lunch there, it was like the hotel had its own personal food court.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wanderlust0113
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded January 30, 2014

Dear TravelersFromNJ225,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay. I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the wonderful view during your stay and the personalized e-mail from our concierge team. I was, however, disappointed to hear that your requests were not acted upon during your stay. I can assure you that this is not typical, but that we will use it as a learning opportunity to ensure it does not occur in the future. While you encountered some challenges during your stay, I am pleased to know that your overall experience was a positive one and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

John J

Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here many times as a SPG guest or as a hotwire or priceline guest. You do in fact get treated differently when you are a SPG member. The staff at front desk are nice but I've noticed the difference in treatment where they come around out from the desk, smile and greet you more warmly being an SPG as opposed to regular guest. Check in is a little slow most time they don't have full staff on and big line ups. So best time I find is around 6pm. The pool area is nice and clean, the hot tub however is not so clean and had several dirty towels around the area. The lobby is gorgeous and clean and most staff at door on hand are helpful in anyway possible. The room itself was something else. Upon check in noticed a very dirty carpet with crumbs and debris of food on the lounge chair and floor. Also there was a ginger ale can opened on the night stand and garbage near the television unit. Called down and manager came up to apologize, investigate and move me over to a clean room. He was great in switching to a beautiful view room and moved luggage and even helped hang jacket in new room. I was very impressed by the follow up. It saddens me to expect such standards and walk into a filthy room especially for the price you pay to stay at a five star. But it's always great when they try their best to make it up. The new one was clean, large and the bed is very comfortable. Decor is simple and nice. Room temperature was well adjusted. There is a cafe in the corridor on one of the lower levels and the mall is connected to the hotel and conference centre. Parks and canal steps away. Bad first impression this time around but great try at redemption.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank CanJAD

Dear CanJAD

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments regarding your recent stay. I am disappointed to hear that your room was not in a proper state upon your arrival and can assure you that your experience is not the standard. I am glad to hear that one of our Managers was able to connect with you and resolve the problem. Although your first impression was not desirable, I am pleased that we were, in small part, able to redeem your stay and overall experience with us.

John J

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stayed here for business. The service in the hotel was excellent and very accommodating. The location in Ottawa is perfect. Room was comfortable and clean. I will definitely stay here again on my next trip to Ottawa.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed January 22, 2014

Spent three weekend nights in this hotel and was able to take advantage of the Pay Your Age Rate. I stayed in a Premium room and for the first night paid the (rather high) Rack Rate--this was nicely offset by my paying only the last two digits of my birth year for the second and third nights. The result was a lovely room at a great rate. I was on a high floor with an expansive view and loved the room setup, particularly the spacious shower in the bathroom. I looked at a few recent negative comments and have to say my experience was quite the opposite. I asked for a delayed checkout and was granted one additional hour with no hesitation and at no cost. I also stayed during the Canadian Figure Skating Championships and did not encounter any elevator delays. The weather was frigid during my stay so I appreciated that the hotel is attached to the Rideau Centre. On a negative note, I am put off by the large chain hotels charging high fees for in-room wifi and opted not to pay the premium. All in all, the Westin Ottawa is a nice hotel that I recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 15, 2014

As usual our stay at the Westin was excellent. All of the staff very welcoming, friendly and professional. Stayed for our anniversary and they had chocolate covered strawberries in our room, a sparking water and a nice card. Newly renovated room, highly recommend staying there, great location for shopping being it's attached to the Rideau Centre. Close proximity to restaurants, bars and shopping in the Byward Market.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple