“take your business elsewhere” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Ottawa

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
The Westin Ottawa
Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Ottawa, Canada
“take your business elsewhere”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

I have heard of good things from people staying as a guest in one of the rooms and did have a good experience as guest once in the summer when we stayed, but for me this complaint is generated in regards to a recent experience I had trying to book a function at the hotel. Absolute NIGHTMARE! Some of the worst customer service I have ever experienced. The lady I was dealing with was rude and abrupt. I had an email confirming the space I requested was reserved for me, and when I show up for our finalizing meeting she tells me that the room has been booked for someone else. No notice, no explanation, just 'oh well. here's what I have instead'. I knew exactly what I wanted and was willing to pay for it too! I had a sizeable budget, and was also looking at hosting another family event there next year, again with a decent budget. I even called management after the horrible experience with the staff member in question to discuss my concerns and they couldn't even be bothered to return my message. After being given the run around, and being left scrambling at the last minute because of them, to find a new location to host my function - I would not recommend using this hotel. They certainly don't value their customer. Extremely disappointed. Also, I tried to post a review on their website and get this - They actually review the posts before they get posted and select whether your post will be displayed. Are you kidding me?

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank curling Q
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Dear curling Q,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback concerning your recent interaction with our staff. I am both disappointed and surprised to read your comments; the service you experienced does not fall in line with our service culture at Westin, nor does it sound like the type of feedback we typically receive regarding our associates. For our guests and event planners alike, our goal is to make you feel welcome, at ease, and at home, and I am truly sorry to hear that you experienced anything less. It is clear to me that you are still upset regarding this interaction, and I would appreciate the opportunity to get to the bottom of exactly what went wrong so we can ensure an experience like yours is never repeated again. If you would be willing to contact me directly, please do so via ottawa.hotline@westin.com. Although it is too late to earn back your trust and make it up to you for this particular function, I would appreciate the opportunity to try to make things right in the future. Finally, you will see that your review did make it to our Westin review site as well - similar to Trip Advisor, all reviews must meet certain requirements prior to posting however our intention is not to censor content, only ensure that reviews are appropriate.

John J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

This was a 3 night business trip - the rooms are a great size, wifi was good, and the staff at the hotel were really great. The gym is fantastic and although I didn't use the pool, it's saltwater and there's also a nice hot-tub. I like the Starwood feature that you can get extra points by not having housekeeping staff in your room during your stay, too. I was a little disappointed with the cleanliness of my room though - it didn't have the greatest vacuum job I've seen, but other than that the bed was comfy and it's always nice to have free coffee/tea in your room. Meeting rooms were well equipped and the food was really great in the meetings too. The elevator system is new and a bit confusing at first, but you'll get used to it!

1 Thank d_p_richards
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

Just checked out today. The room was great! Corner room with a view of Parliament Hill. The location is perfect and attaches to a mall. We had the breakfast buffet it was average. Typical spread of fruit, yogurt, muffins, dried up scrambled eggs. Can't complain too much as it was included in our room. Definitely not worth the money though. We had a few drinks at their lobby bar. The bartenders were all very nice. Great ambiance.

I must say that the check in area is not clear, there is no distinct line or order. Unless, you are a SPG gold or platinum there is no where to line up. The front desk staff were average. Didn't seem to engage in conversation. They were talking to each other and as I walked to the counter the one walked away from me. There was a billing error which was quickly resolved.

The bell staff were great! They saw me looking a little lost and offered assistance right away. The concierge were also very helpful. When we asked for a cab he actually walked us to the front door rather than telling us to ask the doorman. He even put our bags in the car and opened the door for me. The directions they gave were very clear. I spoke to three different concierges and they were all amazing. They could teach the front desk a thing or two.

One downfall though are the elevators. The new system that is suppose to speed up wait times has one major flaw. You press your floor before getting on the elevator so there's about 10 people waiting and pressing different floors but when the elevator comes it's full and not everyone fits on yet the elevator will still stop on their floor even though they are not on the elevator.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank newtraveller153
Montreal, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2013

I 'll start by saying i paid a small fortune to stay (near Manhattan prices) and was expecting more..much more as I frequently choose Westin properties. The room was comfortable and spacious, and i was clearly on a recently refurbished floor, but there were many other floors with very badly stained and soiled carpets. This may be a green hotel, but it felt like this was taken to the extreme as i never felt warm anywhere in the building. My room was quite cool when i arrived and even after jacking the heat up considerably, it never seemed to achieve a comfortable temperature. The conference rooms were downright cold. By mid-morning i added a second layer of sweaters and by mid afternoon added my winter coat too. (This despite numerous please from meeting attendees to turn up the heat.) Day 2 i stayed in my winter coat all day.

Room service was also expensive with surprisingly small portions. Staff were as cool and distant..didn't leave me feeling that anyone cared whether i was there or not.

And the elevators with their unique system of assignments are simply uber slow and annoying.

What this hotel offers is direct access to the shopping center and proximity to the Market. For the price i paid (278 plus the lovely Ottawa marketing tax), I certainly expected a different experience and much higher level of service. i'll try something else next time i' m in Ottawa.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor, and make sure you in a room recently renvated.
1 Thank takemeaway_2010_10
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear takemeaway_2010_10,

Thank you for taking the time to share feedback regarding your stay with us. I am sorry to hear about the state of the hallway carpets during your stay; we are currently in the process of deep-cleaning all of high traffic areas within the hotel, however I apologize that the floors you visited had not yet been completed. This is a part of our regularly scheduled maintenance throughout the hotel, however I will share your feedback with our team to see if perhaps the frequency of these tasks requires reconsideration. Regarding the temperature issues you referenced, I assure you that this is in no way linked to our Green program. We would never intentionally compromise the comfort of our guests, and I will be sharing your feedback with our Engineering and Banquets team to ensure that regulating the temperature of our hotel is a main area of focus. Finally, I am very concerned after reading your comments regarding your encounters with our staff members. This is not the type of feedback we typically receive from our team, and I will ensure our Director of Guest Services is made aware so he can address your concerns with his team.
I truly apologize that your stay with us was not without incident, and I sincerely hope that despite the series of shortcomings you experienced, you will reconsider and will visit The Westin Ottawa again.

Lakewood, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2013

The staff and service at this Westin were excellent. Check in and check out were flawless. Service during my stay was great. The hotel is nicely located a short walk from the parliament building and good dining. The hotel is connected to a mall with food court and the convention center. Very convenient. The room was clean but the view of the canal was obstructed by a partial wall, which was a disappointment. Unfortunately, the elevators could not keep up with the traffic and there is no option to take stairs--even just to go down a few floors to the lobby. That was very inconvenient, at times waiting for 5 or so minutes only to find that the elevator car that arrived was completely full. Overall, though, I nice stay. I would stay again.

2 Thank Doug F
Dear Doug F,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am thrilled to read your comments about your flawless check in and check out experiences, as well as the great service you received during your stay. While we have just completely renovated our entire guest elevator system, we are just finalizing the process of activating many of the smart technologies that will help reduce wait times and minimize overcrowding. While all four of our elevators are currently functional, once this technology is running smoothly, the elevator experience will be quicker and more efficient.

Thank you once again for your feedback, and be well,
Regina Saskatchewan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

I first stayed at the Ottawa Westin in the early and mid 1990's for conferences when it was a spiffy five star hotel with great amenities. But now it's starting to look and feel tired. We had a large room overlooking the back of the hotel. Some shortcomings were a chipped sink in the bathroom, very rough hard bath towels and slightly grubby looking cream coloured furniture. The free toiletries were not top end but the kind of stuff you'd get in any motel. At least you still get a free newspaper at your door and the beds are comfortable even if the pillows are those bouncy rubber things. The hotel was never sound proof and you can hear other guests dropping items on the floor above and showering in the next rooms. The Daly restaurant is ok but over-priced and I find it shocking that there is no dinner service at all. Unfortunately the Rideau Centre nearby doesn't have much for restaurants except a Food Court serving fast food and one serve yourself place that my husband once got sick at. My one favourite at the Ottawa Westin is the breakfast hot oatmeal served with fruit. It's really delicious and a rarity in most hotels. The front desk service is good; quick service and polite staff. The hotel charges for Internet use. Overall the Ottawa Westin could use an upgrade. It's aging fast.

Room Tip: There aren't enough elevators in this hotel. Long waits. Choose a room lower down.
1 Thank Suitcase2go
Dear Suitcase2go,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay. I am sorry to hear that you felt our hotel was showing it's age; we take pride in maintaining the conditions within our hotel to the utmost extent. I assure you that items like a chipped sink are not what we consider to be in any way acceptable, and if you would considering providing your room number to ottawa.hotline@westin.com I will see that our Director of Engineering addresses this concern right away. Regarding our toiletries offered in the room, these are a Westin standard and consistent with all Westin properties in North America. Our Heavenly Bath line was created specifically to match our brand, though I apologize that it was clearly not to your liking. Similarly, our Westin Heavenly Beds are consistent worldwide, with two feather and two synthetic pillows provided at all times. If you dislike the synthetic pillows, we are more than happy to provide two extra down pillows upon request.
Finally although Daly's restaurant is open for breakfast only, the Shore Club Restaurant is open daily for lunch and dinner, and in room dining is available 24 hours. Although the restaurant in the Rideau Centre is temporarily closed leaving only the food court, there are countless options available just steps away in the neighbouring Byward Market, with three options less than one block away.

Thank you once again for your feedback, and we will certainly take your comments under advisement.

Be well,
John J,
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2013

restaurant service is much higher than a westin! Server Hilary R us fantastic and proactive going further than expected, as is the mgr Noele Steele.
the conceirges are also really good: Andrew, tara, Vincent, they follow up and are on the ball!
felt like more of staying in a W hotel

Room Tip: suites are really nice, except the one I stayed in did not have locking bathroom doors the hotel is...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family