“Great location and helpful staff”
Review of The Westin Ottawa

The Westin Ottawa
Ranked #10 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Stayed two nights at Westin. Our valet/porter "Vincent" who escorted us with our luggage to the hotel was the best we have ever experienced. He went above and beyond to show us how everything in the room worked, where to eat and shop. He made our stay memorable! The hotel itself was in a great location for sightseeing and shopping. The rooms were clean and modern and breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: Choose a room high up for best views and not by the lift
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Foxy435,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the Trip Advisor community! Vincent is one of our shining stars here at The Westin Ottawa, and I truly appreciate you taking the time to recognize him. I am looking forward to sharing your review with him directly, and I am very pleased to hear that he made your stay so memorable! I am also very happy to hear that you enjoyed all other aspects of your visit to Ottawa.

John J

Write a ReviewReviews (2,191)

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband, dog and I recently spent a week at the Westin. My husband had meetings in Ottawa and I worked remotely from the hotel. The Westin said they were dog friendly and they truly were. Not only did they provide our dog a dog bed, dog bowls, dog treats etc but everyone greeted him, petted him, gave us advice on where to take him for a walk etc. Our room was spacious, the location was fabulous and made for a great base for the week. Above all though was the consistently warm and helpful service be it the concierge, front desk, valet parking, room service or housekeeping staff. Yes, the elevators were slow at times, but were well sign posted and are being renovated - given the full experience would and will happily return again when the opportunity presents itself.

Room Tip: Our room had a little entrance corridor (corner room) that made it roomier especially given was work...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Yes some of the elevators are out of action at the moment but there are enormous signs everywhere directing people around the corner to a bank of service elevators. We were on the 10th floor and never waited more than a minute or two for an elevator. In fact it became a bit of a running joke between me and my husband at how many people stood waiting, even at peak times, despite encouragement from staff to use the other lifts. The accommodation is fab, with the bed and bedding a real highlight. Love Westin hotels and have yet to be disappointed.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PineMonkey
Reviewed October 5, 2012

They are "renewing" the elevators, which will take a year or so. Until at least mid-2013, it will be very, very slow to go up and down. Overall, I like the amenities at the Westin, but Lord, I waited around a lot for an elevator.

Would have been nice if the Westin had made some gesture to make it up to the guests.

Might not stay there until the "renewal" is finished.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2012

Dear pw0867,

Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry to hear that the current state of our elevators had such a negative impact on your stay. We have taken all possible steps to minimize the impact this necessary project has on our guests – from providing two extra service elevators, to hiring lobby ambassadors, to legions of extra signage explaining the different options for traveling between floors. Nevertheless, I am truly sorry to hear that our efforts fell short in your opinion. With one elevator already complete and the second due back shortly, the project is well on its way to completion. I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back once the project is complete to experience the difference this process will have on our guests.

Reviewed September 30, 2012

WAS THERE for a convention for my business....
They had ONE front desk staff on a crazy busy saturday afternoon with many conventions going on....waited 20 mins to check in...
Only TWO elevators working....(funny - no one mentioned that when I booked the room)...i waited 30 mins to get to the lobby from the 13th floor....not once...not twice....but 3 times!!!!
Beds are average, room is average...
PARKING $20 and Wi-FI another $15.....can u say cash grab???? i can....
My advice is stay one block away at the Novotel, which offer free wi-fi and cheaper parking.
Stay AWAY from this place if you are not looking to throw money away on everything....

Room Tip: try another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank moldy73

Dear moldy73,

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns regarding your recent stay. I can see that your experience with us fell below your expectations, and for this I am truly sorry. I did want to highlight that during your stay, in addition to the one elevator that is currently out of service for renovations, a mechanical fault rendered a second one of our guest elevators unusable. Though we are providing an extra two service elevators for our guests to use during this transition period, I can certainly understand your frustrations with the wait times that resulted from the second elevator fault.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

The rooms and beds are great. But the hotel is noisy with all the convention folks who always seem to be there. Some are drunk in your hallway at 1 am and later. And the elevators are ridiculous. I was delayed over 15 minutes on Tues morning. I finally went to the Service elevators and the first one was full of people with laundry. Can they not wait for the morning business crowd to finish using the elevators? I was delayed over 10 minutes this morning. The first elevator stopped and was crammed full of unhappy looking people. So I could not get on, and went around to the service elevators.

I will not stay at this hotel again until the elevators are finished.

I usually stay at the Courtyard which is quiet and their drink and chips 'market' is open 24 hours whereas your gift shop seems to close around 10.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank fasteddie1313
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2012

Dear fasteddie1313,

Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the wait times you experienced during your stay as a result of our elevators. We are currently working diligently to upgrade our entire system, and as you mentioned, have made our service elevators available to our guests in the meantime. Unfortunately, although our guests are invited to use these elevators, back of the house hotel operations must proceed as usual to avoid further backlogs throughout the day. With respect to the noise you experienced in the hallways, I assure you that this is not typical, as we have a security team on site 24 hours to respond to any disturbances.

I hope you will choose to return again in the future once our elevator project is complete, and I apologize once again for the inconvenience.

Reviewed September 27, 2012

very nice rooms, great location, great staff.
Horrible elevators, took 6 mins for an elevator to come, doors opened slow like a castle gate stopping at every floor all the way down.
Internet service was rather slow. Wifi was included in my rate so I didn't pay.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bts_going

Dear bts_going,

Thank you for reviewing The Westin Ottawa. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our guestrooms and central location, and that our staff members left you with a great impression as well. I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with our elevators; we are currently working diligently to upgrade our entire system. I am happy to report that we are also in the process of upgrading our guestroom internet service to provide a much faster connection. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future to experience both of these upgrades once they are complete.