“Bad elevator service until mid 2013, with no "incentives" or "extras"”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Westin Ottawa

The Westin Ottawa
Ranked #6 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Bad elevator service until mid 2013, with no "incentives" or "extras"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

They are "renewing" the elevators, which will take a year or so. Until at least mid-2013, it will be very, very slow to go up and down. Overall, I like the amenities at the Westin, but Lord, I waited around a lot for an elevator.

Would have been nice if the Westin had made some gesture to make it up to the guests.

Might not stay there until the "renewal" is finished.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
Dear pw0867,

Thank you for your comments. I am very sorry to hear that the current state of our elevators had such a negative impact on your stay. We have taken all possible steps to minimize the impact this necessary project has on our guests – from providing two extra service elevators, to hiring lobby ambassadors, to legions of extra signage explaining the different options for traveling between floors. Nevertheless, I am truly sorry to hear that our efforts fell short in your opinion. With one elevator already complete and the second due back shortly, the project is well on its way to completion. I sincerely hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back once the project is complete to experience the difference this process will have on our guests.

John J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (538)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Mississauga, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2012

WAS THERE for a convention for my business....
They had ONE front desk staff on a crazy busy saturday afternoon with many conventions going on....waited 20 mins to check in...
Only TWO elevators working....(funny - no one mentioned that when I booked the room)...i waited 30 mins to get to the lobby from the 13th floor....not once...not twice....but 3 times!!!!
Beds are average, room is average...
PARKING $20 and Wi-FI another $15.....can u say cash grab???? i can....
My advice is stay one block away at the Novotel, which offer free wi-fi and cheaper parking.
Stay AWAY from this place if you are not looking to throw money away on everything....

Room Tip: try another hotel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank moldy73
Dear moldy73,

Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns regarding your recent stay. I can see that your experience with us fell below your expectations, and for this I am truly sorry. I did want to highlight that during your stay, in addition to the one elevator that is currently out of service for renovations, a mechanical fault rendered a second one of our guest elevators unusable. Though we are providing an extra two service elevators for our guests to use during this transition period, I can certainly understand your frustrations with the wait times that resulted from the second elevator fault.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kitchener, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

The rooms and beds are great. But the hotel is noisy with all the convention folks who always seem to be there. Some are drunk in your hallway at 1 am and later. And the elevators are ridiculous. I was delayed over 15 minutes on Tues morning. I finally went to the Service elevators and the first one was full of people with laundry. Can they not wait for the morning business crowd to finish using the elevators? I was delayed over 10 minutes this morning. The first elevator stopped and was crammed full of unhappy looking people. So I could not get on, and went around to the service elevators.

I will not stay at this hotel again until the elevators are finished.

I usually stay at the Courtyard which is quiet and their drink and chips 'market' is open 24 hours whereas your gift shop seems to close around 10.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank fasteddie1313
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear fasteddie1313,

Thank you for your comments. I apologize for the wait times you experienced during your stay as a result of our elevators. We are currently working diligently to upgrade our entire system, and as you mentioned, have made our service elevators available to our guests in the meantime. Unfortunately, although our guests are invited to use these elevators, back of the house hotel operations must proceed as usual to avoid further backlogs throughout the day. With respect to the noise you experienced in the hallways, I assure you that this is not typical, as we have a security team on site 24 hours to respond to any disturbances.

I hope you will choose to return again in the future once our elevator project is complete, and I apologize once again for the inconvenience.

la
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

very nice rooms, great location, great staff.
Horrible elevators, took 6 mins for an elevator to come, doors opened slow like a castle gate stopping at every floor all the way down.
Internet service was rather slow. Wifi was included in my rate so I didn't pay.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank bts_going
Dear bts_going,

Thank you for reviewing The Westin Ottawa. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed our guestrooms and central location, and that our staff members left you with a great impression as well. I do apologize for the inconveniences you experienced with our elevators; we are currently working diligently to upgrade our entire system. I am happy to report that we are also in the process of upgrading our guestroom internet service to provide a much faster connection. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future to experience both of these upgrades once they are complete.

Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for work for two nights and was very pleased. The rooms are big and clean and modern. Great bathrooms with nice walk in shower. The service at the hotel was great and it has a good restaurant and direct access to a big mall and convention centre. Very happy.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear CarreeBee,

Thank you for reviewing The Westin Ottawa! I very happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that our team provided such great service during your stay. I hope to welcome you back again soon!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed at the Westin for a weekend getaway. We had a wonderful dinner at the Shore Club which is located inside the Westin. The bed was fantastic. Wonderful pillows and sheets. Our room was very modern. We had a fantastic view of the Chateau Laurier and the Parliament buildings. We were within walking distance of the market. We had a fantastic breakfast in their restaurant. Terrific service. Very pricey but well worth it for a special time.

Room Tip: ask for a room facing the Parliament buildings.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Angel_eh,

Thank you for your comments! I am thrilled to read that your weekend getaway at The Westin Ottawa was such a success. Thank you for sharing your great experience with the Trip Advisor community. Hopefully we will have the chance to welcome you back again soon!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for two nights. We were in a great location to walk around all the sights of Ottawa.
Check-in was easy and staff were very polite and friendly.
Our room was lovely. It was clean, modern and the bed was very comfortable.
Parking was fairly expensive $20 per night in the rideau centre- we didn't use valet, so I guess that would be more.
Our only complaint was not being informed at check-in that a $300 hold would be put on my credit card. I think this is a bit excessive, and it would be courteous to inform me of such a charge.
We definately would recommend this hotel.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple