“Christmas at the Westin Ottawa” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Westin Ottawa
Ranked #5 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Montreal
“Christmas at the Westin Ottawa”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2011

Our family spends every other Christmas at this hotel so are quite familiar with it.
It is a very good hotel but needs some attantion for it to be really excellent.
The rooms overlooking Parliamant Hilll boast one of the most iconic views in Canada, particularly with all the Christmas lights.
The beds are very comfy and the room temperature easily adjusted. Staff are invariably considerate and helpful.
Some negatives though. The coffee machine serves one cup at a time and all you get to brew it into is a paper cup! We got a microwave when we asked for one but they didn't have a toaster for our bagels. They boast how green they are but offer no towel racks if you want to hang up your towel to reuse. Low flow toilets sound like a rocket ship but no toilet brush to clean up. Valet parking is well done but I found $30 plus taxes in ottawa to be excessive.
They are very pet friendly and produced a bed, water and food bowls and mat for the dog at no charge.

Room Tip: Ask for a Rideau Canal or Parliament view
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (529)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
winnipeg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

have stayed in ottawa a number of times for business and personal reasons - the westin, though a bit more than other downtown hotels is 100% worth it for sheer convenience alone. Stayed a 4 day weekend here recently with my husband - who loved sleeping in, while i walked out the third floor doors straight into the mall - no coats/mitts/taxi needed! Rideau centre joins with the Bay downtown and then empties out into Byward Market, hub of so many awesome shops and yummy restaurants, and adjoining a number of Parliament/Government related buildings.
The hotel is warm, inviting with a smashing lobby, great weekend brunch, lovely hot tub and fitness room and pool to relax in. I didnt try the massage/spa options but they seemed quite reasonably priced.
the bathrooms were clean, and with Euro-style showers, never had to worry about hot water. the walls seemed thin - but we never heard our neighbours, only the occasional parade on Rideau.
and...the beds are heaven - no wonder they have a price list to buy one if you so choose! they are fabulous!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2011

Had a great stay there this past summer. It's benefits are well-known: an amazing location for Ottawa business or pleasure, a beautiful room and view... the whole nine. Unfortunate incident led to some damage to stored luggage as we arrived too early in the day for a room. Staff immediately acknowledged the accident and volunteered to replace the item. After leaving it for a few months, I was reminded when I needed my suitcase so I emailed to follow up on the previous committment. No questions asked, they were more than willing to help solve the problem with nothing but efficiency and politeness. Stuff happens to everyone but they solved it right away, not many places would do that. Well done, Westin! We'll be back!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

Great location, great venue, great service. Hard to go wrong here. Worth the price.

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 22, 2011

Recently stayed at the Westin in December of 2011. The stay was excellent. Very comfortable beds, the bathroom was very nice, and the mini fridge was a nice touch. I was on the 10th floor, so the view through the massive window was amazing. There were chairs setup with the backs facing the window, but I couldn't resist the view and I ended up turning them around so I could be greeted with a wonderful view of downtown Ottawa when I took break from work on my laptop.

The room offers free Starbucks coffee and tea which I didn't actually end up using but is a nice gesture. They also have an LCD TV which I was able to connect my computer to via a HDMI cable so as to watch any movies. But there is a lot to do in Ottawa so don't

The location of the hotel is excellent as well. Parliament Hill isn't very far away and I found that Elgin Street is always a nice place to walk down as well. The hotel connects to Rideau Centre via the third floor. So if it's too cold outside and you don't have to walk outside if you don't want to. The hotel itself is also very close to the market. You can even walk through Rideau Centre, use the overhead walkway into The Hudson Bay and head into the Market from there. That again, reduces the amount of time walking outside in the cold.

The only downside I came across was that room service was very pricey. But again, that is a minor inconveniance. I ate out or went to the food court in Rideau Centre.

I will definitely stay at this hotel again on my next trip to Ottawa.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
West Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

Every business trip to Ottawa, my first choice for hotels will always be the Westin! I've stayed in a variety of Ottawa hotels and the Westin is always consistent in meeting my expectations. Granted, they are standard rooms, but the heavenly bed, the in-room Starbucks coffee / tea, the bathrobes, and now the availability of having your own mini fridge (without anything stocked - which is perfectly fine) adds to the convenience for the business traveller.
In addition the hotel is attached to the Rideau Shopping Centre where you have Godiva chocolates within steps of the hotel.
The only reason I did not rate this hotel excellent was the lack of understanding from the housekeeper when I left a note beside the daily housekeeping tip asking for 10 additional cream for my in-room coffee (placed beside the coffee maker), I come back at the end of the day to find 10 hand lotion bottles in the bathroom. I gather that English may not have been the first language and I understand that in some countries, hand lotion is sometimes called hand cream. Just a minor inconvenience, so I walked down to the Starbucks in the mall and bought additional coffee and took some cream back to my room (stored in the mini-fridge) to be enjoyed for the rest of my stay.
Ordered room service for breakfast and although it's pricey, it's a great way to start the day. Had the egg white omelet with cheddar & broccoli along with a side salad...yummy and healthy. I would not hesitate to recommend the Westin for your stay in Ottawa!

Room Tip: My first choice is always a corner room with a king size bed, but this time there were only doubles...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this review, December 20, 2011
Dear Victoria_G08
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments regarding your recent stay with us at The Westin Ottawa! I was very pleased to read that our hotel is your first choice when visiting our beautiful city. I do however apologize for the misunderstanding regarding the cream vs. lotion request. In the future, you may wish to contact Service Express by dialing “0” from your guestroom telephone. One of our agents would be pleased to fulfill your request at a time that is most convenient for you. Thank you once again for your kind words, and we look forward to welcoming you back to The Westin Ottawa time and again.
Be well,
John J
General Manager.
syracuse ny
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

We stayed here last weekend. We had heard Ottawa was a pretty city with the ByMarket and Rideau Center for good shopping, so thought we'd head up and do some christmas shopping. The Westin is gorgeous, very modern and up to date, great room, but the best thing about it is the location. It is attached to Rideau Centre, a very nice and huge indoor shopping mall with some upscale shops so we didn't even need to go outside to get there. It also connects to the Bay, a huge Canadian Dept Store. ByMarket was wondeful. Its a huge (about 10 blocks by 10 blocks) district of old historical storefronts (an old historical farmers market) with tons of unique restaurants, shops and bars. We spent hours walking around here. Parliment buildings were a few blocks away, an easy walk. Our room overlooked the Rideau Canal and we could see the city all lit up with xmas lights, the entire city puts up colored lights everywhere. The Westin is the place to stay if you want to get there, park the car and explore on foot! (Underground parking for 48 hrs was $20, not bad!)

Room Tip: ask for a room overlooking the canal
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear mlb50,

Thank you for your comments! I am very to read that you enjoyed our hotel, and were able to take advantage of our unbeatable downtown Ottawa location! The National Capital Commission certainly does an excellent job of lighting up our beautiful city around the holidays, and I am pleased to read that you were able to enjoy their efforts from the comfort of your room after a day of convenient shopping and exploring the Byward Market.
We hope to welcome you back again in the near future!

Be well,