2,349 results
All reviews shore club rideau centre heavenly bed byward market spg member parliament hill direct access self park corner room deluxe room third floor valet parking national gallery per day chateau laurier the location is perfect an upgrade
Reviewed August 20, 2011

From the moment I pulled up I knew that I would be well taken care of. You pull into a large covered area, off of the street, where despite the weather and the local traffic you are able to unload at your pace. A nice change from trying to check-in in Toronto or New York where the pace is always frenetic and hurried, and pressure to get it done and get out of the way are what you feel the most. You are greeted by a doorman who welcomes you to the hotel and helps with your bags and directions.

Check-in was fast and friendly. There were a number of agents at the check-in desk so the wait was minimal.

The Hotel is sleek and modern with a large funky glass fireplace in the lobby. The rooms echo the modern, clean and functional look. The rooms are good size and follow the standard layout. Despite the large size of the hotel, the elevators seemed to keep up nicely, and the wait was short at all times.

I was on one of the upper floors and the room had a westerly view. I could see the Parliament buildings and most of downtown Ottawa. It was winter and with all the Christmas lights and the snow it was magical. I probably spent to much time looking and taking photos but I still remember the view. I have stayed here in the summer and the view is just as nice. To the south/west you can see the canal, in the winter the worlds longest skating rink (and in the summer a boaters paradise.)

One of the great things about this hotel is the location. It is in the heart of downtown. Literally at the crossroads, Rideau St and Colonel By drive. You are across the street from the Canal so skating or boating is steps away from your front door.

The Hotel is connected on the third floor with the Rideau center, a large indoor shopping center. It has over 175 stores, with something for all (www.rideaucentre.net/en/stores) This was very convenient for all the little things we wanted plus some time window shopping. We had forgotten a USB wire for our camera and picked one up with out having to get dressed for the outdoors. It was also a great place to go eat.

We did eat at Daley's (A restaurant on the second floor ??) that over looked the city and the Canal and the food was spot on, but also wandered over to the Rideau center for a lunch at Richtree Markets. It is located on the first level and and is a Mediterranean inspired open air food emporium, where the food is prepared as you watch. It was a great place to sit , eat and watch the shoppers go by.

Parking is attached and underground at the hotel. It was fast and convenient. There is limited street parking about a block from the hotel in both directions which is free in the evenings and on Sundays. The hotel is so close and so central to everything downtown that you would be best to park the car and walk the sights. Most are only a few blocks away.

Parking in downtown Ottawa is not bad by international standards but one way streets and finding a spot are fun. Parking on street is by way of centralized meters or parking lots. Once again not expensive by most standards.

Close to the Hotel and great to see; The Parliament buildings are across the street from the hotel, about a 4 or 5 minute walk. On the way you can stop at the NCC (National Capital Commission) Capital Infocentre at 90 Wellington Street. It is open daily 9am to 8pm. It is a multi story info center with a large model of the downtown area in the lobby. A great way to see where you are and where you might want to visit in the area. The guides are very helpful in planning your stay and of course its free. On the second floor is a floor to ceiling glass wall which over looks parliament hill. A great place for photos of you with the buildings in the back ground. The NCC web site is www.canadascapital.gc.ca

There is a sound and light show on parliament hill most nights, July through September. It is bilingual and is free. It is a sound, light and video show, all using the Parliament Buildings as the screen. You have to see this.

Other attractions very close by are; The Art Gallery of Canada, The Byward market, The National arts center, The Supreme Court buildings, The Bank Of Canada, all the Bars , Restaurants and night clubs you could hope for and the list goes on. Did I mention the Hotels central location....

As I stayed here January of 2011, the new Ottawa Convention center was being finished. It looks inspiring and I will be sure to visit the next time. It is also attached to the hotel with additional parking on ground level. It looks to have a 4 story glass wall facing most of downtown. I am sure it will be destination for photos.

My stay was great, the location and views are amazing, the staff very friendly and helpful, loved the room and the feel of the Hotel and it was close to everything. Will be back again soon I'm sure.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Superb place to stay for business or leisure. Attached to Rideau Centre Mall with many shops, including some upscale. Premier rooms are great and beds really truly are heavenly. Zero wait time at checkin despite arriving at 5:30pm. Efficient,super service. Room service delicious though pricey. Come back here often and is my rave lace to stay in Ottawa.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed August 15, 2011

My boyfriend and I along with our little dog stayed here for one night during a road trip. It was just beautiful and I can not wait to go back to spend more time in Ottawa and in this beautiful hotel. We had a room on the 24th floor with a view of the Rideau Cana as well as Parliment and it was just amazing. The room was clean and the decor beautiful. They were very accepting of pets and room service was prompt and delish!! Can not wait to return!!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
TheWestinOttawa, General Manager at The Westin Ottawa, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2011

Dear PurpleObsession,
Thank you for your comments! I am very pleased to hear that your one night stay with us has inspired another trip to Ottawa in the future to explore our beautiful city. We look forward to welcoming you back, and be sure to ask for one of our "Heavenly Dog Beds" as well if you decide to bring your dog back with you. Thank you once again for choosing The Westin Ottawa!
Be well,
John J

Reviewed August 14, 2011

I stayed at this fabulous hotel this past hotel for a convention this week and have nothing but high praise. Beautiful room (2118) with a spectacular view of Parliament Hill, awesome staff, and a wonderful location in the heart of the tourist area. Byward Market is a couple blocks away, the canal is across the street, parliament is a 5-minute walk, and the Rideau mall is attached to the hotel. This last point made it super easy to grab lunch during down times and do shopping too. Lots of restaurants in the area, as well, so if the hotel restaurants are too expensive for you, there are plenty of options right near by. Our room had a modern walk-in shower, which I liked, and we had the option to either get our room cleaned every day, OR get a $5 meal voucher if we declined the room service--per day! Great idea. Like I said, the staff were incredible--friendly, responsive, helpful. I slept really well on their beds, as well. It would be nice to have more affordable WI-FI options, and our room's door had to be slammed shut when leaving in order for it to close, but those are the only two minor things I would change.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the ends of the building that have a more expansive view, i.e. Two bay windows.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 13, 2011

I have never written a review before BUT I though This is one that needs to be written. My husband and I stayed at the Westin in Ottawa for the week. I had the most "Extraordinary Sleep Experience" of my life. We both woke to a wonderful relaxed feeling. The service of the staff were very helpful and so nice and pleasant. I felt at home! I have been all over the world and stayed in hotels but none have come close to the experience of staying at this Westin. The views from the windows over looking Ottawa were breath taking giving you the best of the French and English architecture. If you are looking for a home away from home this is the place. You get 5 stars in my book. Thanks!

Room Tip: The corner rooms have two rows of windows opposite each other. This gives you different views of the city.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business

Dear SaraGagnon,
What a delightful review to read! One of our goals at The Westin Ottawa is for our guests to leave feeling better than when they arrived, so I am very glad to hear that you and your husband enjoyed such a Heavenly sleep. Thank you for your kind words regarding our staff and service as well - we always strive to ensure our guests feel welcome and as though they belong, so it was especially nice to hear that we made you feel at home. I will certainly be sharing your comments at our next staff gathering.
Be well,