“Bed, bath, and....” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #13 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
“Bed, bath, and....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Over the top service!

The service levels at this property are that of a Four Seasons.

The property is well positioned in downtown and easy to get in and out of. Finishing is basic throughout and rooms are basic and clean.

The hallways are 100% 70s disco. I was expecting to see John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John dancing and making out at every turn.

But the service is remarkable. At all times, the team was focused on surprising with interest to assist. I had a suit pressed and delivered in no time flat and the process was exemplary.

Good property, great service.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank tenmile1
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear tenmile1,

Thank you so much for the kind words about our service! We work very hard to ensure that we have some of the top levels of service in the city, and our staff are always ready to assist at a moments notice! I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay, and thank you for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

If you ever need any assistance with an upcoming stay in Ottawa, please feel welcome to contact me directly at 613-231-2020 or douglas.crosbie@marriott.com

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014

I had a quick trip to Ottawa and stayed at this hotel with my husband and two grown children. The location was excellent, within walking distance to the city centre attractions. The room was large and clean with a small kitchen. The staff were extremely helpful, professional and friendly. The breakfast was excellent - and we were particularly impressed with the waffle maker! This hotel would be excellent for long stays as it is in a convenient location, has parking facilities, a kitchen if you want to make your own meals and also a laundry.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank SheridanRR
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Dear SheridanRR,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at the Residence Inn by Marriott in downtown Ottawa. All of the feedback you have provided are things we work hard at (cleaning, service and amenities) to make your stay more enjoyable. Our location is excellent for a business or leisure trip to the city, and we are very lucky to be so close to many of Ottawa’s great attractions!

If you need anything, please feel free to contact me directly. I can be reached at 613-231-2020 or douglas.crosbie@marriott.com. I would be more than happy to help for anything you need regarding a trip to Ottawa!

Qualicum Beach, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2014

room was fine
staff courteous and helpful and friendly
breakfast not bad with good variety
gym well equipped
location good
don,t bother with room service food offered by adjoining restaurant
was not good at all

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Kathy R
Dear Kathy R,

Thank you so much for sharing your opinions with the TripAdvisor community! I appreciate the kind words, and I'm happy to hear you enjoyed your stay! I am disappointed to hear that you didn't enjoy the room service provided by the restaurant nearby, I will be sure to contact them and let them know about your review. Otherwise, I am happy our location, staff and breakfast all attributed to an enjoyable stay.

Please feel welcomed to contact me directly if you have any further concerns, or would like information for an upcoming visit to Ottawa.

St. John's, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

I generally like this Residence Inn. It is well located, the rooms are great and while the breakfast can be a little crowded it is well stocked. The hotel basically has no lobby and can be a little bit hard to find and shares a pool with the Indigo which is in the same building this area can get really crowded.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Dear NLtrout,

Thank you for the feedback and for sharing your opinion to fellow travelers. We feel that our hotel is an excellent location for a home base when visiting Ottawa for business or pleasure. We do our best to help everyone with understanding the arrival process, and you are correct, it can be confusing. We try to ensure we have staff available on the first floor as much as possible to ease any arrival stress.

Thank you again for choosing the Residence Inn in downtown Ottawa! Please feel free to contact me for upcoming reservation assistance!

Douglas.crosbie@marriott.com
Buffalo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed here in May 2013. A little awkward of an entrance and check in area where you have to go to second floor, but otherwise very impressed by the size and layout of this hotel. Breakfast was great. Manager went out of way to actually get our room done earlier when our flight arrived much earlier than expected. We were very impressed and I am usually one to find the bad in hotels..this one really impressed me. Very spacious, clean, great large breakfast buffet choices, useful staff, etc.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear Fiddlerbediddler,

Thank you so much for the kind words! We work hard to provide top level service at the hotel, and I know all the staff will do anything they can to make an enjoyable visit for our guests.

I am so happy you enjoyed your stay, and I hope to have you visit again in the future! Please feel free to contact me directly for reservations or area information.

Sooke, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2014

While this was certainly not a 5 Star hotel most of our needs were met. We were a party of 4, Grandma, Daughter, SIL and Grandson which meant a suite with two beds and a fold out couch should have been perfect. However, it appears the hotel policy is always based on double occupancy. I queried this when there were two beds - couples tend to sleep in the same bed!

Otherwise the suite was fine. The sofa bed mattress was rather skimpy - I could feel the bar through the mattress which meant constantly waking up and having to adjust my position. The rest of the family slept well. Towels were scant until I telephoned for more - the excuse was again a matter of double occupancy. I believe that if I am paying extra for the third adult the necessary additional items should be in the room before I arrive at the door - or within minutes - and definitely before I have to call for the service.

Two televisions was a nice touch. Free wifi for internet was greatly appreciated as I had to check in for a noon flight leaving the following day. I also found that all the little inconsistencies were less concern when we discovered a washer/dryer! No need to travel with dirty laundry. Too bad these are not available in all the suites for long term stays.

The Residence Inn by Marriott is within walking distance of Parliament, Byward Market, Elgin St (restaurants) and many other areas of interest in Ottawa. For a family it is a good choice. Breakfast was included, supposedly yet another reason for the third adult fee although the meal choices would not add up to the $15.00. The breakfast staff were welcoming, friendly but not overbearing. We were not expected to reuse our plates - for those of us who do not like to have everything on one plate. Coffee could be taken in a paper cup for that extra kick. The eggs tasted like they might be powdered but the oatmeal was nice.

I plan to return to Ottawa in the spring and will consider staying here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hello sigehaizi,

Great feedback! Our hotel certainly hosts families well due to our large spacious suites with full kitchens. For business or pleasure, our location is hard to beat. Our rates are generally based on double occupancy, and there is an additional $15.00 per person (adults over 18) charge beyond 2 in the room. Children are no additional cost. This cost in part as you suggested helps to cover the additional breakfast consumption, but it is also for additional use of hotel amenities and linen usage. To ensure we are environmentally friendly, we do not use more linen in the rooms than necessary on arrival, but are always MORE than willing to provide further items as necessary. We take environmental conservation seriously at the Residence Inn, and even have a successful Green Program where you can opt out of housekeeping service to save on water and linen usage.

Should you ever wish to return, please feel welcomed to contact me directly for information. I am happy you chose the Residence Inn for your Ottawa escape!

Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

We recently stayed at the downtown location and booked a 2 bedroom suite, paying top rate for the room without complaint as we had several reasons for wanting a suite........ Upon check in we were told that our suite was ready but we would have to access each room from the hall. We had been bumped from our 2 bedroom suite and put in 2 separate 1 bedroom suites side by side. No one at the front desk seemed to understand that despite being the same floor plan they were NOT the same thing at all! We were told there would be an insultingly nominal price adjustment to our room rate for each night. Upon speaking at a later date to a manager I again had to explain the reasons why we were unhappy as we had been given the same floor plan! He offered to cover our parking expenses as well as the initial amount offered. Again I explained our reasons why the room was not what we expected nor was it what we wanted or were paying for the manager offered us a much more reasonable adjustment to our rate and I thanked him and shook hands and thought the issue was resolved. Imagine my surprise when upon receiving our check out bill it turns out I had been lied to and the adjustment was not what was promised. At this point we paid the bill and left without any more discussion as there seemed to be no sympathy with a situation that made our 4 night stay less enjoyable and was an admitted error on their part!
We will not be staying at this hotel in the future unfortunately as it is a great location and only moments from the university student we were there to visit, who by the way has 3-1/2 more years of school = 3-1/2 more years of visits.
The food at the complimentary buffet breakfast was sub par to say the least. The service on the other hand by the breakfast staff was wonderful. They were polite and helpful.
I could have overlooked the dated rooms and the lack of blankets or the constant noise well into the early morning from the hockey tournament parents and children staying on the same floor if my complaints had been dealt with in a more compassionate manner. I was quite simply told that an error had been made and the initial offer of compensation, which btw equalled about 7% of the room rate before tax, was very generous by industry standards.
I was not looking for a free ride or any kind of insane discount but I was looking to be treated as if I had a valid complaint. I did everything on my end right and was only looking to have my reservation fulfilled as ordered. Very, very disappointing experience!!!
My suggestion to anyone looking to book a 2 bedroom suite would be to call regularly prior to check in and confirm that this room is still available for them.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Hello OttawaUMom,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Downtown Ottawa. Although you stay was not to your expectations, it is important that guests provide this type of valuable feedback to help both their fellow travelers and the hotels themselves.

I was very sorry about the situation that occurred during your stay. As I had mentioned during our discussions, this situation was caused by a computer system malfunction, and any amount of double checking would not have avoided this situation. This was not a case of being bumped, or overbooking in any way. The failure that occurred happened just mere hours before you arrival, and was not discovered until nearer to your arrival time. We have since identified the root of the problem, and should not have the same situation again.

I will be contacting you directly to discuss the details of the compensation, and I will make it right. I want to ensure you that we did take this very seriously, and we completely understand how frustrating it must have been for yourself and your family. I hope you understand it was equally as frustrating for us, as we had spent time during the day ensuring the suite you were supposed to be going into was vacated by the previous guest who was staying another night.

I am very sorry that your stay ended as it did, as we take a lot of pride in providing high levels of customer service. In this case both my staff, and I failed you. Please look for my direct e-mail shortly.

Thanks!