“In a word...........disappointing!”

Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Toronto, Canada
“In a word...........disappointing!”
Reviewed December 29, 2013

We recently stayed at the downtown location and booked a 2 bedroom suite, paying top rate for the room without complaint as we had several reasons for wanting a suite........ Upon check in we were told that our suite was ready but we would have to access each room from the hall. We had been bumped from our 2 bedroom suite and put in 2 separate 1 bedroom suites side by side. No one at the front desk seemed to understand that despite being the same floor plan they were NOT the same thing at all! We were told there would be an insultingly nominal price adjustment to our room rate for each night. Upon speaking at a later date to a manager I again had to explain the reasons why we were unhappy as we had been given the same floor plan! He offered to cover our parking expenses as well as the initial amount offered. Again I explained our reasons why the room was not what we expected nor was it what we wanted or were paying for the manager offered us a much more reasonable adjustment to our rate and I thanked him and shook hands and thought the issue was resolved. Imagine my surprise when upon receiving our check out bill it turns out I had been lied to and the adjustment was not what was promised. At this point we paid the bill and left without any more discussion as there seemed to be no sympathy with a situation that made our 4 night stay less enjoyable and was an admitted error on their part!
We will not be staying at this hotel in the future unfortunately as it is a great location and only moments from the university student we were there to visit, who by the way has 3-1/2 more years of school = 3-1/2 more years of visits.
The food at the complimentary buffet breakfast was sub par to say the least. The service on the other hand by the breakfast staff was wonderful. They were polite and helpful.
I could have overlooked the dated rooms and the lack of blankets or the constant noise well into the early morning from the hockey tournament parents and children staying on the same floor if my complaints had been dealt with in a more compassionate manner. I was quite simply told that an error had been made and the initial offer of compensation, which btw equalled about 7% of the room rate before tax, was very generous by industry standards.
I was not looking for a free ride or any kind of insane discount but I was looking to be treated as if I had a valid complaint. I did everything on my end right and was only looking to have my reservation fulfilled as ordered. Very, very disappointing experience!!!
My suggestion to anyone looking to book a 2 bedroom suite would be to call regularly prior to check in and confirm that this room is still available for them.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, January 3, 2014
Hello OttawaUMom,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Downtown Ottawa. Although you stay was not to your expectations, it is important that guests provide this type of valuable feedback to help both their fellow travelers and the hotels themselves.

I was very sorry about the situation that occurred during your stay. As I had mentioned during our discussions, this situation was caused by a computer system malfunction, and any amount of double checking would not have avoided this situation. This was not a case of being bumped, or overbooking in any way. The failure that occurred happened just mere hours before you arrival, and was not discovered until nearer to your arrival time. We have since identified the root of the problem, and should not have the same situation again.

I will be contacting you directly to discuss the details of the compensation, and I will make it right. I want to ensure you that we did take this very seriously, and we completely understand how frustrating it must have been for yourself and your family. I hope you understand it was equally as frustrating for us, as we had spent time during the day ensuring the suite you were supposed to be going into was vacated by the previous guest who was staying another night.

I am very sorry that your stay ended as it did, as we take a lot of pride in providing high levels of customer service. In this case both my staff, and I failed you. Please look for my direct e-mail shortly.

Thanks!

Guest Services Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2013

Considering we are a family of 5, this hotel was pretty convenient. The location is pretty good. Walking distance (10 minutes) to the Rideau shopping mall, the Byward Market and the Parliament buildings. Check-in is on the fourth floor so don't get confused when you first get in. The beds were not the greatest and kinda tiny for 2 people to sleep in (and we are tiny people). There is a kitchenette for people if they want. The staff were pretty nice and helpful. Parking was a little bit of an issue. Parking is underground and will set you back 21 bucks a day. The breakfast was OK but I have had better. All in all, I have stayed in much worse but have also stayed in better

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Thank you very much Bucko007 for your review of the Residence Inn by Marriott in downtown Ottawa. Your feedback about the location is spot on, and it is one of our biggest advantages.

All of our 1 bedroom suites have full kitchens, with the option to have either 1 king bed, or 2 double beds. There is also a pull out sofa bed in the living space. Our parking charge is competitive if you consider that we provide in and out privileges, which is crucial for enjoying some of the outlying attractions in the city.

Should you ever need to return to the city, or need to discuss this stay in further detail, please contact me directly. Thank you for choosing our hotel for your visit to Ottawa!

Ewa Beach, Hawaii
Reviewed December 6, 2013

Nothing inherently WRONG here. But, there is room for improvement. Apparently, not too many KING rooms, so when I requested one, they were unable to comply.
The breakfast is just okay - I mean nothing wrong with an occasional gray sausage patty, and some chewy potato squares ... but some RI properties have a somewhat more palatable breakfast offering.
The room was huge, the kitchen very nice, and all very well maintained. Not too many TV channels that the US traveler would be accustomed to (Where's USA, TNT, TBS, NatGeo?).
The staff was unfailingly pleasant.
The neighborhood was certainly not UNSAFE feeling, but the street did seem to be a bit off the beaten path; for example, the Starbucks out the door and to the left is closed ... there isn't a convenience store within a one mile radius (though, to that end, I walked to Rideau Centre Mall and found several nice stores and a Walgreen's type drug store with many useful things).
There's a Tim Horton's on site - but be prepared to stand in line during the morning hours.
Overall - I'd give this place a 75 ... or a C+.

Room Tip: Get one facing Parliament - and NOT facing Laurier Ave.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Dear Boeing767,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa.

To help with future stays, and to assist other travelers, we do indeed have a number of rooms which have king beds. We have Studio, One Bedroom and Two Bedroom suites which have king beds. If at the time of booking it does not display rooms with king beds, it is because we are fully booked at that moment, however things do change leading up to arrival. Please do not hesitate to request a king, and if possible we will do our very best to meet your needs should availability change.

I will speak with our food and beverage team regarding your breakfast experience. I believe there is everything wrong with a gray sausage patty and some chewy potato squares. I know this is not the standard that our food services department operate with, as we take a great deal of pride in offering an excellent start to your day. Breakfast is one of our most popular amenities at the hotel.

For the Starbucks fans out there, rest assured that the Starbucks location is re-opening and is just in renovations at the moment. We are right in the business center of the city and only 5 minutes walk from Parliament Hill. Most of the major city center attractions and sights are within 20 minutes walk of our location.

If you wished to speak to me directly about any aspect of your stay, or questions about a future visit, please do not hesitate to reach me by e-mail or phone.

Kind Regards,

Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

I normally stay here when it Ottawa. I got a one bedroom corner room. The staff are helpful, the breakfast was plentiful and the location is central. Having a kitchen is a bonus. I would recommend this hotel to everyone.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear Janet N,

Thank you for continuing to choose the Residence Inn for your visits to Ottawa. Your continued support of our property is the best compliment we can receive! We hope to continue to see you for years to come.

I am so happy to hear that our staff continue to provide the best service, and you enjoy our complimentary breakfasts! Everything you need to start the day off right!

If you ever need anything in the future, please do not hesitate to reach me by any of the below means. I look forward to your return!

Douglas.crosbie@marriott.com
Niagara Falls, Canada
Reviewed November 26, 2013

This was the first time we stayed at this location and it was great! There was a little blip at check-in (we were bumped to another hotel as they were overbooked), however this was the first time that we've been bumped and it was a bit annoying after a long drive to find out that we weren't staying there and would have to move the next day but the hotel was great at finding us a place. We were in Ottawa as our son (Carleton U student) had dental surgery & needed us to drive/pick up from the hospital & he stayed that night with us. The hotel was so great at getting what we needed for him (special diet restrictions) and were so thoughtful; it was very nice. This hotel was directly around the corner from the Lord Elgin and so close to everything, underground parking and a very nice fitness club & pool. The breakfast buffet was excellent and better than most and the servers were so attentive and polite. There was one girl (breakfast server, sorry I'm bad with names L...) that was so great; she went out of her way to find a place that we could get a variety of soups delivered for my son for dinner.

Room Tip: the corner rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Dear M B,

Thank you so much for the kind words, and I am glad to hear that even though we had some problems with your booking, we were able to get you what you needed and assist with your stay in Ottawa. I do hope your son is recovering well from his surgery. I am very sorry about having to relocate you for one night, and I know how frustrating that can be. We can’t thank you enough for your understanding and patience with this matter.

At Residence Inn we want all of our guests to feel like we are their home away from home, and we pride ourselves in ability to provide some of the best service in the city. Our team are eager to help, and we focus our attention on ensuring that we make everything as easy as possible for our guests.

If you should ever need anything in the future, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. I can't thank you enough!

uk
Reviewed November 16, 2013

As there were four of us, we stayed in a suite which was HUGE. It comprised two large well-equipped bedrooms, 1 en-suite, and an enormous lounge with a well-equipped kitchen. One of the bedrooms also had a small integral kitchen. You could easily live there! The hotel does a good breakfast which changes everyday, and on several evenings a week - a complimentary buffet. It's very well located, with most parts of the city only a few minutes walk away. The hotel has it's own underground car park too. It's clean, comfortable, well-equipped, and the staff are very pleasant. Couldn't really ask for much more.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shropshireladd
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Great feedback Shropshireladd!

I can’t thank you enough for taking the time to share your experience. We believe that our location and suites make for a great stay for business or pleasure.

We take pride in our rooms and complimentary breakfast. As you mentioned, we even host evening social hours on select nights as a thank you to our guests.

If you ever need anything in the future, or would like to talk about your stay, I would be happy to hear from you. I can be reached at 613-231-2020 or at douglas.crosbie@marriott.com.

Regards,

St. John's, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn for 3 nights in late October. It was my wife, son, and I there on a combination of business/leisure. Overall, we enjoyed staying at this property. The location is great, about an 8-10 minute walk to the Rideau Centre and Byward Market. You really are in the middle of it all at this hotel.

Check-in was easy, although some may be confused by the fact that the main lobby is actually on the 4th floor of the building. The room we were assigned was nice and included all the ammenities we needed for our stay. I will say that this particular Residence Inn ranks lower than others I have stayed at in terms of "decor", for example the appliances are older/smaller/white whereas in Moncton for example they are more modern stainless steel. We found the best value at this property to be the breakfast which is included. It was excellent.

Overall, a great stay and I will likely stay there again on my next trip to Ottawa. I personally think it is the best value for money and location for a suite hotel in that particular area of downtown.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear newf1982,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at the Residence Inn by Marriott in Ottawa! Your feedback is extremely valuable for both our hotel, and future guests.

I am happy to see you had a great stay, and our great location and spacious suites met your needs. Our breakfasts are very popular, and help create additional value for guests travelling to Ottawa.

It was our pleasure to have you as our guests, and we hope to see you again in the future. For any questions or upcoming stays, it would be my pleasure to help. I can be reached at 613-231-2020 or douglas.crosbie@marriott.com.

Regards,