“Did not meet expectations.”

Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown
Ranked #17 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Bowmanville, Ontario, Canada
“Did not meet expectations.”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I do not have high expectations when booking a Residence Inn. They aren't the Ritz. Ottawa doesn't have a Ritz which is unfortunate. What I did love was the location. I read the website and it indicated "All New Suites" and it had a Spa. I like the Marriott and Ritz Spas. When arriving at the hotel there is only room for two vehicles while you unload. The front desk was on the fourth floor. I can live without valet but a baggage cart would have been better than the five trips up two different elevators (they don't go to all floors). When arriving in the room (very spacious) I do the usual check for cleanliness and bed bugs. I didn't see bed bugs but the mattress was very old and yellow. The arms of the red sofa were black from filth and there were spills on the cushions. The rest was mediocre. I was not very comfortable. I went down to the spa to book a treatment. The spa is not part of the hotel and was closed on the Sunday and Monday of the long weekend (when someone travelling might want to use it). I went to the front desk with my IPad in hand asking them to show me the new rooms and suites. They were quite surprised and said there were no NEW rooms in the hotel. They did agree the website was very misleading. They did call around to different hotels which was quite nice of the. unfortunately it was a long weekend and everything was booked up. The food wasn't bad but they ran out very early. There were no utensils and I had to ask for a cloth to clean a table.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear BrendaM64795,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others regarding you stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa. I am very sorry that we didn’t meet your expectations, and consequently you did not enjoy your stay with us.

There are baggage carts available (it seems during your arrival they were all in use) and we try to have someone available in the 1st floor lobby and arrival area to ease this aspect of your stay. We are working hard to ensure that we make the 1st floor arrival and 4th floor lobby as easy as possible for our guests.

We advertise that the spa is onsite, but it is a retail vendor in the building which we reside in. They do provide great service and we will continue to promote that it is available, but we are unable to control their hours of operation.

I wish that your experience had been more like your expectations, and your feedback has been extremely valuable. I am truly sorry, and I wish you all the best. Please feel free to contact me directly if you wish to speak to me regarding this stay.

613-231-2020
douglas.crosbie@marriott.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 29, 2013

The only drawback this place has is that the pool is a little chilly and you have to enter another building to get to it. I don't know what it is about Canada, but it was nearly impossible to find places with heated pools. Otherwise, this place was awesome! Our room was big and spacious. The full kitchen was a great thing, even though we didn't get to use it. The dinner reception is snack foods...cheese, crackers, dip, chips, veggies, fruit, and after they saw our huge family, the gracious staff offered to bring out some pizza for them. Everyone was very friendly. Breakfast was delicious, but as with most good places, it was pretty crowded. We didn't all get to sit together, but we enjoyed the food, and again the staff was very helpful and even offered to help our little ones carry things and reach things. The lcoation of this place was fantastic, as well. We toured Parliament and saw the changing of the guard the next morning, and it was only a short 2-3 block walk from this place.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Dear collinsdd1225,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa, and sharing your experience with other travelers.

I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay, and that our service staff were helpful throughout your visit. I will be sure to pass along your kind words to all the staff.

Should you need to discuss anything about your stay in further, or would like to discuss an upcoming visit, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

douglas.crosbie@marriot.com
Orange, California
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hotel would receive a 5 from me, but there were problems with our reservation. Doug, the manager did everything he could to resolve the problem, but we still lost half a day in Ottawa. I was not able to visit Parliament. Parliament tickets are given out on a daily basis at 9 AM and go quickly. We had made plans for our second day and I was not able to get back in time to secure a ticket. The hotel paid for a one night stay at a Sheraton and also upgraded us to a two bedroom, two bathroom apartment for our other two nights and it was lovely. I knew we would need a laundry break in Ottawa and the Residence Inn has a laundry room with 3 washers and 4 dryers. Very convenient. Breakfast was good and location of the Residence Inns is perfect. The hotel is within walking distance of just about every attraction in Ottawa except the Museum of Civilization. I did not know much about Ottawa before the trip, but thoroughly enjoyed the city. I wish we had more time there. If you are commuting between the major Canadian cities, try the train (business class). I am so glad we did not mess with a car. Loved Ottawa, hotel is great, book the trip!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank JHROrange
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, August 25, 2013
Hello JHROrange,
Thank you very much for taking the time to provide feedback and advice from your recent visit to Ottawa.
I am happy that we were able to keep you comfortable after what was certainly a difficult situation for your arrival day. I am very sorry about the disruption, and I’m glad to see that you still enjoyed the city and your stay.
If you ever need anything for an upcoming visit to Ottawa, or wish to discuss your visit in further detail, please do not hesitate to contact me directly. It was truly a pleasure to have you at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa.
Kind Regards,
Douglas Crosbie – Guest Services Manager
613.231.2020 | douglas.crosbie@marriott.com
Toronto
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Stayed at this hotel with a family (4 adults/2 kids) in a suite. We have booked thru booking.com, which gave us the price for the whole group, and were surprised when the staff informed us that the maximum number of people included in the rate is 2 adults/2 kids, and we would need to pay extra for the 2 additional adults. This situation was resolved amicably by the manager.

The location is great, and the Parliament is just a short walk away. If you want to get the free tour tickets, my advice is to get there at least 30 min before the counter opens, otherwise the line is long and you may be out of luck.

The parking is $21 a night, underground, with ample space, although it may use a couple of extra mirrors around the tight corners. The breakfast buffet is included, and is good, but not breathtaking - just what you would expect.

The suite is clean, and has everything that you expect. It even has a free packet of popcorn, which can be popped in a microwave. The fridge and stove are nice if you want to cook your own food. The pool is not huge, but a good size, and not too cold.

Overall, I gave this property 4 stars, as it is not something beyond our expectations, but I have nothing bad to say about this place. We would stay there again if the price is right.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Kozm,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

I do apologize about the booking confusion upon your arrival. We are taking steps to correct these situations so that we can avoid what occurred during your stay. Thank you very much for your patience during that time.

I am happy to see that we met your expectations and that you enjoyed your visit to Ottawa. If you would like to discuss anything for a future visit or further details about this stay, please feel free to contact me directly. We hope to surpass your expectations in the future!

Doug Crosbie
Toronto
Reviewed August 7, 2013

When traveling with young kids and grandma as well, this was the perfect location to see downtown Ottawa and the market area. The rooms were very spacious and the kitchen area was perfect for preparing any snacks. The cleaning staff supplied extra towels and a blanket when requested and the front desk & maintenance staff were very prompt in responding to our calls about a water leak from the suite above ours. We were very happy with the resolution of the leak issue.
We don't typically spend a lot of time in our hotel rooms, but we were happy to know there was a peaceful place to go to at the end of the day, accommodating our group of 5 in one suite.
The breakfast was good, with plenty of options to satisfy everyone. The staff in the eating areas worked very hard to make sure that the tables were cleaned and food items replenished.
It was a holiday weekend during our stay, so the hotel parking lot got full. This was not an issue since there are a couple of public parking options close by.
Keep up the good work! It was a memorable trip for our family.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Douglas C, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Mari_TanTO,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at The Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa.

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and our staff and facilities helped towards an enjoyable weekend. I am extremely pleased to see that we were able to resolve your issue with the leak in a timely and satisfactory manner. While we try to avoid all problems, unfortunately things do happen. We train our staff to respond efficiently to all situations, and I’m glad to see that the training is creating the results we expect.

We hope that if you return to Ottawa again in the future, we can continue to provide a memorable experience for you and your family.

Lafayette, Indiana
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Good downtown location - close to parliament & market area. Breakfast was great with staff refilling continually so food was fresh and hot. Front desk staff very helpful with tips of things to see, times, and directions. Parking was kind of expensive - but not any more so than other downtown properties. Room was very nice and roomy--but view was of other downtown buildings.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Catherine_S_14

Thank you for the kind words regarding your visit to the Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa. Feedback of any kind is extremely valuable, however as a Guest Services Manager, it’s always more satisfying to read about enjoyable stays.

Parking in Ottawa is limited and we are happy to be able to offer it as a service at the property. We are competitively priced based on our full in/out privileges which is not always available in other parking garages.

If you have any further feedback or information you would like to pass on to me directly, please do not hesitate to contact me. We hope to see you again in the future!

Ashburn, Virginia
Reviewed August 5, 2013

This hotel's location is great. It is only several blocks away from parliament buildings. The staff at front desk was very friendly and she informed us there was a light and sound show at 9 :30 pm in front of the parliament and it turned out it wad a great experience.

The room was clean and quite big. After checking out of the hotel, I realized that I forgot to print a map and I went back and asked front desk staff and they allowed me to use their own office and computer to print the map since business center was full.

Dear Tom T,

I am extremely happy to see that you enjoyed your visit to Ottawa. The sound and light show is certainly a highlight for many guests, and I’m glad that you were able to fit it into your stay.

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your visit. If you wish to speak with me regarding any aspect of your stay, please feel welcomed to contact me by any of the means of communication below.