“Good Place to stay”

Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown
Ranked #16 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed October 31, 2011

While staying in Ottawa for business, I was looking for a convenient, affordable hotel and this fit the bill. Complementary breakfast was excellent containing both hot and cold choices in abundance. I had a nice studio room with a kitchenette so was able to cook in my room or not as I chose. There are number of resturants within a very short walk as well as a mall in one directioin and a downtown shopping and convenience stores nearby. Staff was friendly, helpful and prompt when something was requested. I would not hesitate to stop their again.

The only downside is that the dishwasher was a bit noisy as was the exhaust fan, and the neighboring showers could be heard in the morning. As I was by myself, this didn`t really bother me much, but could prove annoying for families where one is trying to listen to the TV or radio while the dishwasher is running. i just ran it while I was out.

Room Tip: I was in a high up room on the front of the building, but did not find the traffic noise the least b...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown

Reviewed October 18, 2011

I stayed in a suite with a king bed that needs to be updated. It is a nice big bed, but very old and not comfortable. The room was huge and had a full kitchen and living room and large bathroom. It was very clean and the staff seemed helpful. I would stay here again once they change the mattresses.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed October 16, 2011

This hotel is located in a very good location, close to Parliament Hill, the Byword market and the Art Gallery. We had a room reserved for three (ourselves and our son) which was supposed to have one Queen sized bed and a sofa bed. When we checked in at about 3:00 PM they assured that the sofa bed would be made and ready. However, when we went to the room, the sofa bed had no sheets and was not made. We informed the front desk and then we went sightseeing. On returning after 11:00 PM we were distressed to find the sofa bed still not ready. We called the front desk, and they immediately upgraded us to a much larger room with two queen sized beds. We were quite impressed with that. We were even more impressed the next afternoon when we arrived to our room to find a box of chocolates, an apology card from the manager and inside the card a $50.00 gift certificate to a nearby restaurant! We thought the hotel treated us more than fairly.
The upgraded room was great as it had a separate sitting area with a television. The complimentary breakfast was quite good although the breakfast area was very busy.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank TorontoMusicman
Sarah B, Guest Services Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2011

Thank you very much for your recent comments reflecting your stay with us. We were sorry to read that your first request was not met regarding the sofa bed. The fact that the front desk turned this situation around quickly for you speaks volumes as to the service they constantly strive to provide. We are happy that your stay ended up being a great experience for your family. The One-bedroom suites are perfect for a family travelling together as it allows that extra space to relax and unwind.
All of us at the Residence Inn by Marriott hope you will return during another visit to the city!

Best Regards,

Sarah Bolton
Guest Services Manager
Residence Inn by Marriott Ottawa

Reviewed October 13, 2011

When you are booking a Mariott Residence Inn you know what you can expect. This one is in the middle of Ottawa. The location is perfect, everything is in a short distance. Only if you want to go to the Byward-Market where a lot of bars and restaurants are you need a few minutes more. The rooms are big and clean. Breakfast is included and ok, you have what you need but nothing more. If you are in Ottawa for sightseeing the hotel is definitively a good choice.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I booked this hotel for a business trip after discovering that all other options were either sold out or cost prohibitive.

The lobby is located on the 4th floor which is a bit unusual but no big deal. The parking garage is horrible... very cramped & hard to manuever, almost hit the walls a few times while going around corners, dark and very low ceilings... don't plan on driving a big SUV down there! The garage elevator was also out of order during our visit which was a minor inconvenience but added to the distaste of the parking situation!

While they didn't have any King rooms available, the one bedroom suite w/ double beds was huge, with a full kitchen, huge living area, desk, flat screen, sofa, table/chairs, a big bathroom & separate bedroom area with another flat screen. I never even touched 2/3rds of the room but it would be perfect for a bigger party or for an extended stay. You can tell that the hotel is older but the room was clean and adequately equipped. The beds were a bit on the hard side but the multiple pillows (four on each of the double beds) made up for it.

Free morning paper outside your room in the AM. Breakfast was busy, free yet fairly average, choices included fruit, yogurt, cereals, eggs, sausage, coffee etc... Centrally located, close to Elgin Street bars/restaurants and about 1.5 kilometers from Byward Market, Parilament etc...

Would I have preferred Fairmont Chateau Laurier (twice the price) or The Westin (sold out), yes... but the Residence Inn ended up being an OK alternative for a short business trip.

Room Tip: Book a suite if you want to spread out!
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank drgnfly30
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Stayed here for business-booked by employer-for 13 nights late Sept.-early Oct. Good things about this hotel: the front desk staff, very friendly and helpful. I was given an extremely small, noisy room at first but then went to change it and they went to great lengths to find me a better one. Also good is the location, and generally the hotel itself has the basics for what you need. However alot of what this hotel offers is average. They serve a breakfast buffet in the a.m. and it was o.k., but I found it was lacking some basics like fruit-other than some plain melon which looked like it had seen better days there was no fresh fruit. Hot food was so so at best and the baked goods were a little stale. Coffee station provides take out cups but they are so small it's not worth it. I used the gym also and it was decent, however could have used some other things, such as there were no balance balls, straps or yoga mats. These are pretty standard gym equipment so it was a pet peeve. The room itself was very large, with a comfortable bed (I like firm mattresses) but I found the decor to be dated and dingy. The kitchen was nice to have but it was missing items like a frying pan. The newspaper was delivered also, but some days it just never appeared, which I found to be strange. And the heat only worked in the bedroom, but the heaters in the bathroom and living area never came on. It was unseasonably warm though so I didn't complain. The biggest deficiency though by far is with the housekeeping service. As this hotel tends to attract people on longer term stays you would think that they would be used to getting a weekly tip rather than a daily one, which I indicated that I would prefer to do in a friendly note. However, it was deplorable regardless. Most days I would return from my business day to find a few fresh towels, but sometimes the dirty ones would be left behind, other times not. Rarely did it appear that my bathroom tub or floor had been cleaned. Many days they just made the bed sloppily and simply left a couple of new towels, or worse re hung the dirty ones as if they were clean! The kitchen they would run the dishwasher for one or two dirty dishes which seems to be in conflict with the 'save water by reusing towels' policy. One day I came home at almost 5 pm and the room hadn't been cleaned at all, and I had left a card requesting that the sheets be changed. I had to chase down a housekeeping lady in the hall to get her to do the room. Toward the end of my stay I had brewed some tea in the coffee maker and they left it dirty with the tea bags still in it for 3 days!! They didn't wipe down the table, often left the dirty dish towels, and generally just did a poor, inconsistent and extremely sloppy job. Overall I wouldn't recommend this hotel, there are plenty of other long stay places downtown and the lack of attention to details like properly functioning rooms, housekeeping service, and decent food makes this hotel average, at best, especially for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a one bedroom suite.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to communicate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is important for us to hear both positive and critical comments so we can monitor our service and know where improvement is needed.
It is always a pleasure to read that the front desk staff was a big positive during your stay. As an extended stay property we always try to ensure that we provide the comforts of home and know that room type is a main part of that. Our Studio Rooms are slightly smaller than our One Bedroom Suites which are equipped with a living room and full kitchen. We are happy to hear the front desk was able to upgrade you.
Your comments regarding the breakfast choice has been discussed with our Food and Beverage Department. We are constantly reviewing choices that can be rotated for the complimentary full buffet breakfast.
Our fitness centre has recently been equipped with two new treadmills with up to the minute features. We will look into adding the extra equipment you mentioned as we try to stay competitive with other hotel and city facilities.
It is very important for us to hear constructive criticism and the comments you made regarding the service deficiencies with the housekeeping department have been brought to the attention of our Housekeeping Manager. She will address each critical item. We are looking into even more green initiatives and have been much more diligent with the ongoing practice of not using the dishwasher for a limited number of dishes.
I understand that your stay wasn't entirely enjoyable and I would be happy to discuss your comments further and hopefully have the chance to make future stay arrangements with you. I invite you to contact me personally at sarah.bolton@marriott.com
Kind Regards,

Sarah Bolton
Guest Services Manager
Residence Inn by Marriott

Reviewed October 2, 2011

I would only stay here again if there were limited alternatives. This was my first stay here, but I travel to Ottawa at least 4 times per year. The "lobby" is on the 4th floor of the building - I didn't feel very secure with this as anyone could enter the building - there is a card lock on the front door for late hours. Check in was fine, but I was given incorrect information about opening times for the nearest liquor store (yes - the World Exchange location IS open on Sunday). The suite was large. The maid showed up at 5:00 pm to empty the dishwasher from the prior guest. As noted in other reviews, the beds are lumpy and the pillows hard and uncomfortable. I had requested a quiet room - I received a 6th floor assignment - lots of steet noise. The maid didn't check the alarm clock - it went off at 5:45am. The next morning I received an early wake up call I didn't request. The flood lights shone brightly against the front of the building and the darkening curtains were inadequate. By the time this all became apparent I had already unpacked for the week, so I didn't want to change rooms. The breakfast was standard and there was always lots of space to sit. The staff were always courteous. Only one window opened about 2 inches. The location is about a 10 - 15 minute walk to office buildings and the market area.- closer to Parliment Hill. Botton line, there are better choices.

Room Tip: Due to noise and flood lights ask for room on higher floor. Lots of space for family travel.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business