“Huge room, cramped parking garage!”

Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown
Ranked #18 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Delaware
“Huge room, cramped parking garage!”
Reviewed October 12, 2011

I booked this hotel for a business trip after discovering that all other options were either sold out or cost prohibitive.

The lobby is located on the 4th floor which is a bit unusual but no big deal. The parking garage is horrible... very cramped & hard to manuever, almost hit the walls a few times while going around corners, dark and very low ceilings... don't plan on driving a big SUV down there! The garage elevator was also out of order during our visit which was a minor inconvenience but added to the distaste of the parking situation!

While they didn't have any King rooms available, the one bedroom suite w/ double beds was huge, with a full kitchen, huge living area, desk, flat screen, sofa, table/chairs, a big bathroom & separate bedroom area with another flat screen. I never even touched 2/3rds of the room but it would be perfect for a bigger party or for an extended stay. You can tell that the hotel is older but the room was clean and adequately equipped. The beds were a bit on the hard side but the multiple pillows (four on each of the double beds) made up for it.

Free morning paper outside your room in the AM. Breakfast was busy, free yet fairly average, choices included fruit, yogurt, cereals, eggs, sausage, coffee etc... Centrally located, close to Elgin Street bars/restaurants and about 1.5 kilometers from Byward Market, Parilament etc...

Would I have preferred Fairmont Chateau Laurier (twice the price) or The Westin (sold out), yes... but the Residence Inn ended up being an OK alternative for a short business trip.

Room Tip: Book a suite if you want to spread out!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank drgnfly30

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Guatemala City, Guatemala
Reviewed October 11, 2011

Stayed here for business-booked by employer-for 13 nights late Sept.-early Oct. Good things about this hotel: the front desk staff, very friendly and helpful. I was given an extremely small, noisy room at first but then went to change it and they went to great lengths to find me a better one. Also good is the location, and generally the hotel itself has the basics for what you need. However alot of what this hotel offers is average. They serve a breakfast buffet in the a.m. and it was o.k., but I found it was lacking some basics like fruit-other than some plain melon which looked like it had seen better days there was no fresh fruit. Hot food was so so at best and the baked goods were a little stale. Coffee station provides take out cups but they are so small it's not worth it. I used the gym also and it was decent, however could have used some other things, such as there were no balance balls, straps or yoga mats. These are pretty standard gym equipment so it was a pet peeve. The room itself was very large, with a comfortable bed (I like firm mattresses) but I found the decor to be dated and dingy. The kitchen was nice to have but it was missing items like a frying pan. The newspaper was delivered also, but some days it just never appeared, which I found to be strange. And the heat only worked in the bedroom, but the heaters in the bathroom and living area never came on. It was unseasonably warm though so I didn't complain. The biggest deficiency though by far is with the housekeeping service. As this hotel tends to attract people on longer term stays you would think that they would be used to getting a weekly tip rather than a daily one, which I indicated that I would prefer to do in a friendly note. However, it was deplorable regardless. Most days I would return from my business day to find a few fresh towels, but sometimes the dirty ones would be left behind, other times not. Rarely did it appear that my bathroom tub or floor had been cleaned. Many days they just made the bed sloppily and simply left a couple of new towels, or worse re hung the dirty ones as if they were clean! The kitchen they would run the dishwasher for one or two dirty dishes which seems to be in conflict with the 'save water by reusing towels' policy. One day I came home at almost 5 pm and the room hadn't been cleaned at all, and I had left a card requesting that the sheets be changed. I had to chase down a housekeeping lady in the hall to get her to do the room. Toward the end of my stay I had brewed some tea in the coffee maker and they left it dirty with the tea bags still in it for 3 days!! They didn't wipe down the table, often left the dirty dish towels, and generally just did a poor, inconsistent and extremely sloppy job. Overall I wouldn't recommend this hotel, there are plenty of other long stay places downtown and the lack of attention to details like properly functioning rooms, housekeeping service, and decent food makes this hotel average, at best, especially for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for a one bedroom suite.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Sarah B, Guest Services Manager at Residence Inn Ottawa Downtown, responded to this review, November 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to communicate your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. It is important for us to hear both positive and critical comments so we can monitor our service and know where improvement is needed.
It is always a pleasure to read that the front desk staff was a big positive during your stay. As an extended stay property we always try to ensure that we provide the comforts of home and know that room type is a main part of that. Our Studio Rooms are slightly smaller than our One Bedroom Suites which are equipped with a living room and full kitchen. We are happy to hear the front desk was able to upgrade you.
Your comments regarding the breakfast choice has been discussed with our Food and Beverage Department. We are constantly reviewing choices that can be rotated for the complimentary full buffet breakfast.
Our fitness centre has recently been equipped with two new treadmills with up to the minute features. We will look into adding the extra equipment you mentioned as we try to stay competitive with other hotel and city facilities.
It is very important for us to hear constructive criticism and the comments you made regarding the service deficiencies with the housekeeping department have been brought to the attention of our Housekeeping Manager. She will address each critical item. We are looking into even more green initiatives and have been much more diligent with the ongoing practice of not using the dishwasher for a limited number of dishes.
I understand that your stay wasn't entirely enjoyable and I would be happy to discuss your comments further and hopefully have the chance to make future stay arrangements with you. I invite you to contact me personally at sarah.bolton@marriott.com
Kind Regards,

Sarah Bolton
Guest Services Manager
Residence Inn by Marriott
northeast
Reviewed October 2, 2011

I would only stay here again if there were limited alternatives. This was my first stay here, but I travel to Ottawa at least 4 times per year. The "lobby" is on the 4th floor of the building - I didn't feel very secure with this as anyone could enter the building - there is a card lock on the front door for late hours. Check in was fine, but I was given incorrect information about opening times for the nearest liquor store (yes - the World Exchange location IS open on Sunday). The suite was large. The maid showed up at 5:00 pm to empty the dishwasher from the prior guest. As noted in other reviews, the beds are lumpy and the pillows hard and uncomfortable. I had requested a quiet room - I received a 6th floor assignment - lots of steet noise. The maid didn't check the alarm clock - it went off at 5:45am. The next morning I received an early wake up call I didn't request. The flood lights shone brightly against the front of the building and the darkening curtains were inadequate. By the time this all became apparent I had already unpacked for the week, so I didn't want to change rooms. The breakfast was standard and there was always lots of space to sit. The staff were always courteous. Only one window opened about 2 inches. The location is about a 10 - 15 minute walk to office buildings and the market area.- closer to Parliment Hill. Botton line, there are better choices.

Room Tip: Due to noise and flood lights ask for room on higher floor. Lots of space for family travel.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 26, 2011

Rooms: 14th floor came with kitchenette with standard size fridge, sofa and king size bed. TV was LCD
Location of Hotel: Tim Hortons (downstairs), Starbucks 1 min walk, Bars 5-6 mins on Elgin Street (Mclarens has great selection of food and atmosphere), Parliament Hill 5 mins
Bonus: Free Breaksfast in AM (sausages, eggs, waffles, yogurt, juices, bread, cereal, fruit)
I have stay here whenever I visit Ottawa. Great Service.

Room Tip: 14th floor rooms have kitchenette
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Halifax, NS
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We stayed at the Residence Inn for a weekend, while we were in Ottawa for a friends wedding. We had a great experience-- the room was massive! It was larger than some apartments I've had :) We were travelling with our 2 year old, and our bedroom had a door to separate it from the rest of the room-- made a huge difference for us, to be able to put her to bed and sit in the living room and relax. Fully stocked kitchen facilities and a good quality breakfast buffet in the morning that included scrambled eggs, hashbrowns, french toast, bacon etc, not to a mention a nice selection of cold options.

It is centrally located, down the street from the parliament buildings and near Byward market-- you can walk to anywhere.

My only criticism is that the parking garage is horrible. It's the smallest, hardest to maneuver parking garage I have ever been in. We found cheaper, better parking one block away (not affiliated with the hotel).

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Nice room. Enjoyed the microwave popcorn while working. The Buffet was good. I didnt appreciate the individuals who touched food and put it back though ewwww! Very friendly and efficient desk staff. Tim Hortons in same building too. I would stay here again.

Ottawa, Ontario
Reviewed August 24, 2011

Pros:
This hotel is in a perfect location, within easy walking distance to everything downtown Ottawa has to offer. I would say that's definitely its #1 positive feature. We also had a great experience with the staff. Mary at the front desk efficiently helped me get an early check-in, and everyone else we encountered was friendly and efficient as well.

Adequate:
The breakfast buffet had a fair amount of variety for a hotel of this class, comparable to others I've stayed at (HI Express, Staybridge Suites). However, we hit the buffet at 0930 on a Sunday and it was hellishly crowded, many things had run out and since the service was about to end, they weren't replenishing anything. This wouldn't have been a problem if we'd made it there earlier. Consider this fair warning to get to breakfast early to avoid disappointment.

Cons:
The big downside to our stay was the sleep. We had a king bed that sagged in the middle and the pillows were quite simply the least comfortable pillows I've ever tried to sleep on.
Also, the HVAC system in the hotel is very noisy and as far as we could figure out, there was no way to turn it off entirely.
The website says that they have newly renovated suites and studios. There's no way our room (#600) has been renovated recently. I guess we got one of the ones that hasn't been done yet.

Overall:
I'm a Marriott rewards member and was staying there for free (reward voucher), so it's impossible to fault the value. But compared to other Residence Inns I've stayed at, I was pretty disappointed in the quality of the room at this one.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple