“Lovely Park and Great Views”
Review of Major's Hill Park

and up
2-Hour Ottawa Express City Bike Tour
Ranked #15 of 273 things to do in Ottawa
More attraction details
Owner description: This pretty park is located near several museums, churches and the Ottawa River.
Reviewed July 11, 2014

This is a great place to get some different views of Parliament Hill and the river. Come in spring to see the tulips. I was in town for Canada Day and the park hosted events there. It was closed until my last full day, but I did get to visit again. Worth a stroll.

Reviewed July 6, 2014

I was at Major Hill Park for Canada Day celebrations this year. What a lovely lush green park just behind the Chateau Laurier Hotel. I have walked by this park many times on previous trips to Ottawa not realizing that it was Major Hill Park. It is near the National Art Gallery, Rideau Canal & of course the Chateau Laurier. It was big enough to accommodate all of the Canada Day activities but peaceful enough to enjoy a walk amongst the beautiful flowers

Reviewed June 25, 2014

It was during the springtime that I discovered this park on my way to the Parliament hill and Wellington as a short cut from the Alexandre bridge which is worth your time to cross itself. Seeing this park made my day for my last visit to this national capital. I think it is one of the most beautiful places in the city. Tulips were in abundance as I recall. Flower lovers should spend more time with others here to admire the beauty of this park with in easy walking distance of the National Gallery and the Chateau Laurier and Parliament Hill. A landscape worthy of several photographs for sure but just walk through this park and brown bag it there for lunch on your way to the Museum of Canadian History. Walk across the Alexandre bridge in both directions. Walk through this park on your way to the locks from the same bridge as I did. I have already written two positive reviews of the Rideau canal and locks. I suggest that your read them. Access to the Rideau canals is made easier and more interesting a walking tour of this part of the national capital. The vista of the Ottawa River. the Parliament Hill and Supreme Court as seen from the veranda of the National Gallery is worth you time to explore and admire but do not pass up this park for it has its own charm and beauty. You should not leave Ottawa without seeing this place and walking through it at least twice. The pedestrian court yard between the Chateau Laurier and the Rideau canal is enough of an introduction to this park, but the Rideau Canal is worth a long visit for its own reasons. Now if you are healthy and brave enough to walk around the shore of the lake in the direction of the Parliament Hill from the canal you will admire the other side of the river and see the National Gallery. But it is the park that makes the difference and will settle you into many high levels of enjoyment of Ottawa for all the right reasons. I believe it is the west side of the park that gave me a wonderful view of the landscape of so much that is essential to see in Ottawa. I like to view the river from the park and so will you. I can think about many urban parks that made my visit to a large city worth while in several places like Denmark, Sweden, Holland and France or even Belgium. The list goes on and on for sure. I believe that this park in Ottawa is one of the best to be remembered for this reason alone. Landscape architecture at its best. I recommend it!

1  Thank GiudoLocattelli
Reviewed February 18, 2014

We were at Major Hill Park and were delighted to arrive 1 hour prior to Chris Hadfield doing an interactive questions and answers time with 30,000 people in the park. He sang his song for the first time on earth :) - quite a day. And a very beautiful park.

1  Thank Julie B
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is a fabulous and very popular park. During Tulip Festival, it is filled with flowers and the views are spectacular. A photo of the Basilica of Notre Dame with the tulip beds in the foreground is worth a long walk to Major's Hill.

But you don't have to walk! Practically across the street is the National Gallery, and public parking below the gallery is very accessible and cheaper than it is some other places.

The vista of the Ottawa River, Parliament Hill, and the Supreme Court building on the west side of the park is made for photos, and a great place for a memorable shot of your visit to the city.

As you walk back to Rideau Street on the north side of the park, you can take the pedestrian courtyard between the Chateau Laurier Hotel (itself a Canadian landmark) and the Rideau Canal, which is also worth a long visit.

During lunch hour, Major's Hill is a great place to sit on the grass on a blanket and eat a picnic. Many people spend time there playing Frisbee, reading, talking, or sunning themselves. (Beware, though--women are not required to wear tops in Ottawa.)

Don't leave our city without spending at least some time in this great space--and be sure to visit some of our other wonderful parks, as well. There are dozens from which to choose!

3  Thank GACanuck