“Outstanding with small kids!”

Central Experimental Farm
Ranked #42 of 289 things to do in Ottawa
More attraction details
Owner description: This 500-hectare working farm serves as an experimental station for both farmers and food manufacturers.
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We visit frequently being one of our kids favorite places to go! Unlike many animal visiting places, the experimental farm animals look healthy, clean, well taken care of! The staff is always helping and pleasant. Nice park with play structures and good place to pack a picnic as well.

2  Thank myshkaOttawa

Reviewed November 21, 2012

It is November, so not a lot going on at the experimental farm, but we went to the Agriculture museum & were v pleasantly surprised. If you have kids <8 the experience is tailored to them and worthwhile. Lots of animals, a v good bee exhibit and enough to keep us going for a couple of hours.

1  Thank Scott R
Reviewed November 5, 2012

What a great way to spend a hot summer day--visiting The Farm. hard to believe that this exists in the middle of a large city.

1  Thank jean c
Reviewed October 23, 2012

I just like walking around to see the flowers. I don't see much of the people who maintain this though and it seems to be difficult to get access to garden alongside those who put the displays together. I've become more fond of the arboretum across the CEF but that's me.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Most other reviews focus on the farm museum itself and how great it is for kids (it is) but I'd like to tell you a little bit about the beautiful grounds.Although there is a modest admission to the farm museum, the grounds surrounding it are free and open to the public.

This location was recommended to me by a master gardener in Ottawa as a good place to see some beautiful plantings (I am a master gardener in MD). Is it ever - and I was there in the first week in October, when most gardens are winding down. I'm not sure whether it was warm for that time of year, but there were still plenty of beautiful flowers and colorful crops to enjoy, like rainbow chard leaves tucked in amongst the flower beds and scarlet runner and other bean vines up against a couple of the buildings. This location boasts more peony cultivars than I've seen anywhere else. Lilacs also appear to be a specialty of this huge garden and there are quite a few different ones that are bred for the cold Canadian winters. There is a volunteer organization called Friends of the Farm and their members help to maintain the extensive beds as well as inform the public about the garden on their website. The day was a bit overcast, but I still got many great photos.

Across Prince of Wales drive is an extensive arboretum, more like a huge park. I had spent most of my time at the ornamental gardens, so I gave this a quick drive-by and it looks like a wonderful place to spend a sunny afternoon. I will warn that the parking seems to be a bit limited considering the size of the property, but you could probably leave your car across the road in the farm museum parking lot.

Also across the road is a wildflower garden, with a "backyard garden" area to give you an idea of which wildflowers could be grown in a yard. The tour appears to be self-directed; there is a building there that is open some of the time but it seems like it's mostly for gardening groups to meet in. There are brochures about the garden and the trails that are informative, although missing drawings or photos. The plants in the backyard garden were well-labeled however.

The farm museum is indeed a wonderful family attraction, especially for small children, but if you want to really get a feel for what is grown in Ontario, check out the garden areas, all of which are free admission.