“Bitter Sweet”

Ranked #46 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Hamilton, Canada
“Bitter Sweet”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

My boyfriend & I spent 2 weeks here for business & the hotel was booked through his manager so all we knew is that it had a kitchen, balcony & walk-in closet ... how sweet is that until we got here & noticed such great rooms with outdated furnishings. When we first checked in the room on the 7th floor the toilet was leaking so we switched to another room.

The wi-fi is free but the connection is horrible which made it hard to work online. I didn't like sitting on the couches because of the fabric & was unsure if it had bugs living in them. 2 of the lamps weren't working & 2 pillows is not enough for comfort but the bed itself a very comfortable. The heat was also too loud & it didn't keep us warm at all.

There is a girl who works at the front desk that I found unprofessional with no uniform & not approachable. She never smiles & asking her questions felt like it bothered her. She needs to work on her communication & professionalism. Vending machines were empty & I was told to walk across the street to the other hotel to use theirs or down the street to holiday inn btw I was told that the hotel manager never has the fending machines re stocked. How inconvenient when I have a fridge but can't purchase beverages to put in.

On the bright side the room itself & lay out gives it a comfy home feeling in a great location. I found house keeping to be on point & very nice. Koodos.

Room Tip: Get a room facing Cartier st. for a great view of city lights at night.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Madison, Alabama
Reviewed December 4, 2012

I took the time to search for a hotel for my trip to Ottawa and found this one to have a VERY good price, so I took a chance on it. I was pleasantly surprised at size of the suite I was able to get for $121.50 CAD!! i was able to get parking below the hotel as well for $13.50 per day!!

When I walked in my suite I was greeted by a kitchen straight ahead and I could see a 2-seat dinette. As I walked in there was a hallway to the left and could see a good sized bedroom with the King-sized bed, but what blew me away was the Living Room which was VERY large!! I could have used ot for entertaining 15-20 people comfortably!! The square footage made it like many efficiency apartments I have see.

It had all kinds of closet space in the bedroom, hallway and it even had a linnen closet!! It also had a very nice compliment of flatware and dishes ready to be used by guests!! I recommend this facility, one note it IS an older building 1960's style but was in good repair - not perfect but VERY good when you consider the price.

I was prepared to change hotels if things did not work out, but I was quickly convinced when I walked in that anytime I'm in Ottawa I will consider staying here!!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have many full-size windows. I recommend the one-bedroom suite which ranges in size fr...
1 Thank RockyTop1
Reviewed November 29, 2012

I rated this hotel 4/5. This is not to say that I think it's an Ibis or a real 4 star hotel. This is a 3 star max at a very good location, with clean, spacious rooms, wifi access, kitchen, etc. Nothing too fancy about it. The reason why I gave it the additional star is the staff. They were very accomodating and went out of their way to make my stay enjoyable. Very kind people

Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is one of my favorite fall back spots when I come to Ottawa. The location is brilliant: 10 minutes walk to Parliament, Rideau Centre, and not much more to the Byward Market. And, the amount of room one gets is fabulous: I had a spacious corner suite with tons of windows, a great sitting area, and all for an unbeatable everyday price. The place is showing its age, however (aren't we all?!); the kitchen is dated and some elements of the 'apartment' a bit worn. Many people would rate it a 3 star property. On the upside, the staff are extremely helpful and consistently friendly. Location, value for space, and friendly feel make this a great place to stay.

Room Tip: Suites have balconies and corner suites are big and bright.
Ottawa
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We have stayed at this hotel many times in the past and will do so again but this time around we reported that the heat in the livingroom/kitchen areas weren't working - the first night by phone, the next day in writing and on the third day asked for some blankets if they couldn't fix the problem. They did send someone up within a few minutes but he couldn't fix immediately and brought us a space heater which did help but it was so old that we made very sure to unplug when we went to bed for safety reasons.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Lake George, New York
Reviewed October 30, 2012

Large suite at a very reasonable cost, well located in the city. Our suite was a little dated, but clean and in good condition. Friendly staff. Would definitly use again. Easy, outside parking alongside the hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

The location of this hotel is fantastic- right across from City Hall. The rates are very reasonable. The building and rooms are tired and worn out. Free breakfast is a good deal with the coupon.

My suite was probably cutting edge back in the 60s but this is 2012. The carpeting had waves in it and the walls were dirty and chipped in spots. With some remodelling and paint the place could once again be a stunning presence in Ottawa.

Still the price is right and the bed was comfortable.

Stayed October 2012, traveled on business