“Great location”

Capital Hill Hotel & Suites
Ranked #40 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

The hotel is in a great location, right near the Parliament buildings and the river. The museums, Byward market and restaurant areas are just a short walk away.
The rooms are a good size, but a bit tired. The beds are comfy. The first room we were given overlooked a building site, was next to a very noisy ice maker, and stank of body odour. They moved us to another room which was next to all of the air con units for the hotel, so it was quite noisy but was at least a more constant noise so was more easily tuned out.
Parking is $15/night + taxes, but the car park is very tight so be prepared to do some manoeuvres!
The wifi is free and there's 2 PCs downstairs which can be used for free.
The service was abit hit and miss; we arrived at 1pm so they asked us to come back at 3pm to check-in which was fine. We got back at about 3.15pm and they said the room wasn't ready, we asked when it was likely to be ready and they had no idea. We asked if we should stay and wait or go out and they were very shruggy. We waited until gone 4pm by which time the reception was full of people waiting for their rooms. Some of these people got quite stroppy, and as soon as they got abit irate their rooms were miraculously ready, even though we'd been waiting much longer. At 4.20pm when we were the only people left waiting they came over and asked our name again, and when they checked our room was ready. We completely understand that sometimes the room turnovers can run over, but there was no recognition of our wait, no apology for the time it took, no information, and not even a smile or friendly welcome. Perhaps if the situation had been managed a bit better, the other visitors wouldn't have got so upset.
Overall a great location to explore the city from.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Delberto84

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Do you value your health? Then think twice about ever staying here.

I was travelling with my parents to Ottawa and we took two rooms when our first choice was booked solid.

I could have overlooked the terrible parking situation and crazy construction near parking entrance, but when finally settled in my room, I was absolutely horrified to discover filthy dirty air conditioning vents (photo attached) in a terribly dated and cramped room.

However, things got worse when my parents knocked on my door to tell me they had mould in their room. I immediately went to have a look and was stunned to see black mould growing profusely on the bedside lampshade (photo attached). We then started looking closer and realized that the other lampshade also had speckles of mould starting to take root. The air conditioning vent in their room was also as fuzzy and gross as mine.

Finally, the vent in their washroom did not work, so whole room smelled musty and mouldy. It literally hit you when you opened the door. In fact, within 15 minutes of being in the room, my mother's throat became itchy and her eyes started to sting and water (tear).

I immediately called Expedia to notify them of the problem and request an immediate refund and cancellation. They put me on hold and called the hotel, and when they came back on line, told me that the hotel manager said he or she would refund me only if they resold the rooms that night. I informed them that I had photos of the mould and I expected a full refund for both rooms. Expedia quickly then said they would provide a full refund, without going back to manager.

A few minutes later, we checked out. No one at front desk seem to be aware of why we were checking out. I again informed them of the mould problem, and they said they would tell the manager.

We left, and no one from the hotel has even bothered to contact me to follow up.

My best advice, is to avoid this hotel if you value your health in any way.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
7  Thank GreenBizGurl
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I travel on business across Canada on a regular basis. My stay at the Capital Hill last week was to say the least very disappointing. There is not enough space available to park your vehicle while checking in, service at the front desk was mediocre, parking is an absolute nightmare! My room was soooo dated and stunk of smoke! So much for a smoke-free hotel! The walls and ceiling were plastered up, the mattress soooo uncomfortable, and there is no room in the bathroom to setup your toiletries. The soap provided by the hotel was so dry; I couldn't even get it to latter when attempting to wash my hands! The worst part was that I couldn't close the bathroom door when sitting on the toilet because my left knee didn't fit inside the bathroom - horrible!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The shower knob was covered in black mold! There is no room service after 2pm and no vending machines for snacks, only for soda. The mattress was so old, I woke up with a back ache! Will never return and am disappointed that there are so many misleading reviews on this site... makes you wonder if the staff aren't reviewing their hotel to attract guests! This hotel is wrong in every way and there are many better hotels located near attractions and centre town - don't waste your time on this one!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank amcchou2
Reviewed September 9, 2012

The hotel is located very centrally at a couple of minutes walking from the parliament buildings. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable but the bathroom is quite small. Our room did not have a mini bar/ refrigerator and there is also no bar in the hotel. The hotel offered free WIFI. Good value for money.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Niels-A
Reviewed September 5, 2012

The hotel was old and needs updating and some TLC. However the location and the staff were excellent. We had issues with parking and they accomadated us. We also had an issue with the original room and they moved us to a new room. No questions asked and no complaints. They shared their love of the city and gave helpful tips on places to eat. A great hotel for location and friendliness. Definitely love Ottawa and will be back again real soon!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2012

We were delighted when we opened our room and went inside!
It was a suite of rooms big enough for 6 people - a large fairly well stocked kitchen - a comfortable relaxing area with sofa bed, easy-chairs, flat screen TV, small table etc., - also a very large dining table with 6 black leather office chairs with castors - bedroom with two double beds.
We thought that the bathroom was not really up to the same job as the rest of the apartment, because it was the smallest area, and had nowhere to place your washbags etc. A/C was good. Metallic papered walls made the accomodation a little dark. Excellent value bearing in mind this is the capital city of Canada and the hotel is only a five minute walk from parliament square. By the way you must go and see the free lazer light show at 9.30pm for 30 mins. which is projected onto the Parliament Building itself and everyone gets a good view.

Room Tip: Good views from the higher floors.