“Not worth the money”
Review of WelcomINNS

WelcomINNS
Ranked #52 of 68 Hotels in Ottawa
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This motel would be ok for about for about haft the cost. There was an old dirty sock under the bathroom sink. Not a big deal except that it tell me that cleaning was not very thorough. The beds were not very comfortable, way too soft. Only got about 3 hrs sleep. Sheets and comforter were not the best for comfort, not sure how else to describe it. There was a musty smell when we first walked into the room. Continental breakfast was the most budget I have ever seen with very little room for people to sit. Not a good set up. I would look for something better next time we have to stay in Ottawa.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
WelcomINNS, General Manager at WelcomINNS, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2014

Dear ronbchamps,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We pride ourselves on our ability to provide comfort and convenience at an affordable cost and I am sorry to hear that you found our beds uncomfortable and our rates too high. We are committed to providing excellent service and clean facilities, and I am especially concerned by the fact that you found a dirty sock under your bathroom sink. Please know that we have taken this feedback seriously, and I have spoken the housekeeping supervisor regarding this matter. In order to better investigate the situation, however, I am hoping you can contact us directly at sales@welcominns.com with additional information. I look forward to hearing back from you upon your earliest convenience.

Thank you again for expressing your concerns,

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed at the Welcominns while away in Ottawa for work. Working nights it is hard to find a hotel so I lucked out with day rates at this hotel. Friendly staff and a decent hotel. I didn't try the breakfast so I can't say anything on that. Lots of parking. Secure area. Wifi included which was nice. Hotel seemed quiet enough so sleep was easy. Beds were pretty comfy. Shower was good but had low pressure. I'd come back if I'm in the area again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear ems1339,

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review; your kind feedback is much appreciated. I am very pleased to hear that you took advantage of our fantastic day room rates while you were in town for business. We strive to provide all of our guests with comfort and convenience at an affordable price, and it sounds like our hard work has paid off. It is always reassuring to know that guests have a good sleep as a result of our comfortable beds and quiet corridors. I am glad you were treated well by our friendly, customer service oriented staff and it is nice to hear that you used our newly upgraded in-house wireless internet.

We hope to see you back again whenever you come back to town!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Nice hotel, good value, ample free parking, friendly staff. The room was clean, but the carpet had what seemed to be a vomit (?) stain that wasn't cleaned up properly. When we first arrived, the carpet had a very strong "after vacuum /no air freshener smell" that didn't go away until I opened the door and held it open with a shoe for about an hour. Even with the air extractor in the washroom our room had very poor air quality. The beds (two doubles) were great, comfortable and spotless, basic cable tv, a nice little mini fridge that wasn't cold enough for my liking. Great clean washroom, plenty of towels and toiletries, the detail of a curved shower curtain holder was a big plus, water pressure and temperature were perfect. Amazing reliable Wi-Fi that worked perfectly during our stay.

Good location, very close to a major mall and restaurants, supermarkets, gas stations, etc. Just 10 minutes away from downtown, very close to the 417 highway and a major transit route. The hotel doesn't have a pool, something my 8 year old son didn't like, The place didn't strike me as being family friendly, but keep in mind that I was paying only about 100 dollars per night.

I was very disappointed with the free 'continental breakfast'. No eggs, no bacon, no sausages. It was more a 'do it and serve yourself' basic cheap doughnut shop experience, served at the lobby, with very few tables available (for the size of the hotel). I still don't understand how some people say that breakfast was good.We are not very picky my wife hated the bread, my kid said that breakfast was very good! I had two sips of coffee and had breakfast else where.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2013

Once again I stayed at WelcomINNS, during a business trip in Ottawa, around two months ago. And, again it went fabulous. All rooms are well maintained and chic. Food was good and fresh. Décor of the building is very impressive and can be compared with fine hotels in different countries. Customer service is great and amenities are world class. If you want a pleasant and luxurious stay in the city, then go for this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Joel R,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and wonderful review. I am pleased to hear that you had such a fantastic experience staying at our hotel and I will be sure to share your review with the rest of the hotel staff. I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel in the near future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 7, 2013

This hotel is undoubtfully one of the best I ever stayed in Canada in this price range. Although it's a bit dated, it's clean and looks good outside and inside. What I liked the most, was the customer service. As soon as we checked in, our little daugter started playing and put a small wooden stick into the heater (it's on the wall closer to floor). So that the heater stopped working. I called to the receptionist, explained everything and asked to change the room since it was -20C outside and it would be too cold without heating. The receptionist was very polite. She found a new room in 5 minutes and then we moved. It was a quite busy Friday evening, nevertheless they managed to find us another room of the same type (2 double) and they did not charge us for this change, nor for the heater reparation.
So, this hotel would suite best for family travelers who seek just overnight stay: it's children friendly, not too expensive, located around 5 km drive from the downtown.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Dear melifaro81,

First, I would like to thank you for writing such a detailed review; your feedback is much appreciated. I am so pleased to hear that you had such a wonderful stay with us when you came to town with your family. We truly pride ourselves on our wonderful customer service so I am very glad to hear that you had one of your best Canadian hotel experiences with us. I hope to see you back again whenever your travels bring you back to the Ottawa area.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed February 7, 2013

My fiancee and I stayed here last weekend for 2 nights, as we went skating through the Rideau Canal during the Winterlude Festival. We had no complaints at all other than the breakfast. We werent expecting a bacon omelet lol as we were fully aware that it was going to be continental, however it was all carb and sugar items only. I would recommend they get a wider variety of fruit (not just apples and bananas), and yogurt would have been great.

Other than this everything went wonderful, and the digital thermostat in the room was perfect!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Chad H,

Thank you for taking the time to review the WelcomINNS Hotel Ottawa. I am very happy to hear that you and your fiancée had a nice stay with us when you came to town for Winterlude. It is a pleasure to know that you found the hotel nice, clean, and friendly. However, I am sorry to hear that you did find our breakfast too carbohydrate & sugar filled. A nice item we currently offer is hardboiled eggs; unfortunately it appears as though you may not have seen them. While we do only offer a basic continental breakfast, we regularly re-evaluate and change our menu depending on demand. I do value your suggestions and we will definitely consider adding in more fruit and/or yogurt in the future. I thank you for your business and I hope to see you back again soon.

Best regards,

Reviewed January 21, 2013

Having heard that this hotel got a facelift, I decided to give it a try for a recent trip to Ottawa.

The hotel is located off of St Laurent Blvd, right next to a large shopping mall and a variety of restaurants. By car, it is a 5-10 minute drive to get downtown. They have a shuttle that I did not use, but was available if needed. There is adequate outdoor parking.

The check-in process was smooth and the lobby was somewhat on the smaller side. This would factor greatly regarding breakfast the next morning, which I will come back to.

The room itself was refurbished as promised and was appointed with decent decor. The bed and linens were fine, and the bathroom clean and was a good size. My room oddly had a leftover from the old layout - an old stand alone sink but without any towel rack etc. There was a sink and counter in the bathroom, so this old "extra" sink was an odd holdover. The room also had a mini fridge and a flat screen tv, both of which worked well. The room was soundproofed enough, I didn't hear anyone overnight.

The breakfast the next morning was frankly a disaster. As noted above, the lobby was very small and it doubled in the morning for the breakfast food layout and eating area. If only 5 people or so arrived downstairs before you, there was nowhere to sit. Given the large number of rooms in this hotel, this was grossly inadequate. As for the "full & hot" breakfast itself, the offerings were cold cereal, a waffle maker and poor quality muffins & breads that would easily be found at a rural gas station "convenience" section, if you catch my drift. If there were fruit, yogurt or anything "hot" other than waffles (like hot eggs, breakfast meat, pancake? Anything?) then they were successfully hidden. I ended up grabbing a hot beverage and got breakfast elsewhere, costing me time I hadn't budgeted to use that morning, in addition to extra expense.

The "gym" seen on the website was in reality a treadmill and an ancient weight machine in a tiny room in the basement.

Unless you are looking for a hotel to solely get a decent night's sleep in a clean room at a reasonable rate, without any of the usual amenities or breakfast, your expectations will likely fall short.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank TravellingTFP

Dear TravellingTFP,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review, your feedback is much appreciated. We are committed to providing comfort, quality, and convenience at an affordable price and it is a pleasure to know that you appreciated the comfort and décor of your room and the good service you received. However, it disappoints me to know that your stay fell short of your expectations.

I do apologize for your negative experience at breakfast time and for the miscommunication. It is unfortunate that you were lead to believe you would receive a “full & hot” breakfast, because what we provide is a basic continental breakfast. As for the small eating space, we are aware that the seats occasionally fill up, which is why we provide trays for guests to bring their food up to their own rooms. Unfortunately, given the layout of the building, there is nowhere else where we could host the breakfast. As such, we have tried to make the best of the situation by providing trays at the breakfast station and a dining set in each guest room.

Given our limited space, we cannot increase the size of our fitness area, but we still want to offer each guest the convenience of a small gym. Because we know some guests prefer a larger gym with more variety, we offer free day passes to the gym located across the street in St. Laurent Shopping Centre to all guests who ask for them. Should you return to the Ottawa area and revisit our hotel, one of our front desk representatives would be more than happy to provide you with a gym pass upon request. If you would like to discuss your stay in more detail, please contact me directly at sales@welcominns.com at any time. On behalf of the WelcomINNS Hotel Ottawa team, we hope to see you again soon!