“yuk...dirty and smelly”

Ranked #50 of 67 Hotels in Ottawa
Amherstburg, Canada
“yuk...dirty and smelly”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2010

This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. The carpets, both in the hallways and the rooms, were threadbare, stained and dirty looking. Although the bathrooms looked clean, there was a horrible smell emanating from the sink....like wet, sour, dirty towels. The bathtub was cracked and scratched up. The temperature outside was very hot and humid and the air conditioner didn't work at all. We switched to another room with a working air conditioner, but the smell in the bathroom was still the same...awful. The TV had lines running across the top of the screen. This hotel needs serious updating. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

Myself and extended family members were in separate rooms and we were not impressed. Yes the lobby is fine but after that forget it. The carpets are worn and stained throughout and the rooms are old and stuffy. Everything is so ancient it needs to be completely renovated. There was a dog treat on the floor of my room when I arrived and it was still there 2 days later when I left. How well are these rooms being cleaned? As in most hotels I was expecting at least a small fridge. This hotel is grossly overpriced and I would certainly never stay in it again.

• Stayed July 2010
TravelodgeOttawaEast, General Manager at Travelodge Ottawa East, responded to this review, July 26, 2010
Sincere thanks for the feedback on your recent stay. Please accept our apologies that we did not meet your expectations - through positive and negative comments are we able to continuously improve and exceed our guests expectations.

We have fridges and microwaves in a large number of our rooms and do our best to fulfill all requests - unfortunately we do run out as these items are increasing in popularity. We are constantly striving to improve our hotel and do appreciate your feedback to include in our planning.

Travelers are raving about these Ottawa hotels

Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2010

This hotel should be rated no more than one star.
Carpets in room and hallways are filthy.
Horrible odor in the room. In serious need of MAJOR updating.
Furniture in room is old, and bad shape.
Beds are small, and uncomfortable.
Upon check in, one person found empty soda bottles under their bed.
The maids don't seem to take much pride in their work, and clean only where visible.
I would only stay at this hotel if there were no other hotels available.
The staff at the front desk seem used to hearing complaints.
I will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2010
1 Thank TimfromMtlCanada
Montreal
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2010

We stayed 2 nights; changed room, but still got more than 25 bedbugs bite all over many head and neck, and elsewhere. The hotel is dirty, the allowed animals and the humid pool in the front is a disastous breeding ground for infestations.The management was very evasive and were not around. The receptionists were understanding and seemed to be very aware of this terrible problem; they offerred us free breakfast and a discount of $50, and did not bill us when we left. We are not mistaken, I have had bedbugs before and we have medical confirmation of the diagnosis. I had a miserable time and had lost work time for the next 3 days. However, we discovered a month later that the management had billed our credit card without contacting us. After trying to reach management on many attrempts, a certain rude man called back denying such bedbugs and therefore refusing to refund my 2 nights. I have complained to Corporate Travelodge, but I am still awaiting a more positive response. I am very disappointed and disturbed with the local management's denying attitude and I am considering further action.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank BedbugsTravelodge
Bedbugs are a hot topic in the media this last year. They do not look at the hotel name before they check-in - they have been found in the local motel and as well as the leading luxury and highest rated hotels and resorts in the world. Typically they are brought in with luggage and transfer can happen where it is close together such as on airlines, trains and tour buses. Travelodge employs a very passionate approach to bed bugs. We have the leading Pest Control company in Canada perform preventive inspections and treatments every month in our hotel and guest rooms as part of our 'Preventive Maintenance - Just In Case Program'. When a guests claims they experience these unwanted guests in their room - we thoroughly inspect the room as well as the adjacent rooms. These rooms are not rented for 2 weeks until they are inspected several more times. This is what we do when we DON'T find any !

I cannot honestly remember the last legitimate case of bed bugs we found, but I can tell you the treatment is extremely intense utilizing the best products and techniques including the disposal of beds and furniture if necessary. We are serious about our guest experience.
Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2010

We have stayed at a few different Travelodge hotels in the past in other cities and have been pleased until now. This hotel was horrible. We booked a room which should have had a microwave and mini fridge because we have a baby and needed to keep and warm bottles. But upon getting to the hotel, no such room was available, this was the first screw up. Check in area was nice, and that's were it ended.. as we were walking down the hall to our room, there were people moving out of the hotel carrying soiled linnens and plants. WEIRD ! Our room was DIRTY, SMELLY, and there was mold in the bathroom and dirt in the tub. I didnt even bath my children that night because it was so bad. We all kept our feet covered all of the time because the carpet was so dirty I was affraid we would all get sick. There was some kind of dirt smeared on the wall... YUCK and the place was very very old. Electric heating, and old windows too. I did not feel safe in this hotel. My daughter wanted to go swimming, so we went down to the pool, which was so cold and dirty that I only let her stay in it for a few minutes. PLUS the hot tub is sealed up... so you can not use it. We were not told this upon booking our room.
I felt so ripped off from this hotel that I completed a review card at the hotel and left it with the front desk with my complete address and phone number on it.. do you think I have ever heard from the hotel..? nope. I figured an appology or discount or something would have come our way, but it did not. But I have shared my thoughts about this place with everyone I know and work with, so I dont think any of us will ever stay there again. And my family travels to Ottawa at least 6-10 times a year. In fact we were just there last week, and DID NOT stay at this hotel again. We still laugh at how this was the worst hotel ever !

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank LeesahC
Cornwall
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2009

After a long day we went to check in at the Travelodge and as soon as we walk in the door the girl at the fornt desk (Gabriel) was very cheerful and smiling the entire time we were checking in.
She answered all our questions and gave us a lot of information on what to do in Ottawa.
We walked into our room and it was a normal size hotel room, the room was clean and decent.
it was a warm welcoming environment as all the staff we very cheerful ad helpful.
The salt water pool was really good and the water was warm enough to swim.
Anytime I go to Ottawa i will be staying at the Travelodge.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
TravelodgeOttawaEast, Manager at Travelodge Ottawa East, responded to this review, August 10, 2009
Thank you for your kind words about the Hotel and Gabrielle - I will be sure to share these with her - she will be elated!

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Travelodge Ottawa East
Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2009

Visiting friends out of town for the night. Arrived at the hotel to discover a modern style lobby and comfortable pool area. That's where the good part of this experience ended. We arrived in our room to discover a pillow soiled on the floor, hair on the towels in the bathroom and extensive mold in the shower with an overall foul mildew stale smell evident in the room. In addition to this, the toilet would not flush nor would the sink drain.
Confronted the manager on these issues with the only response of "if you have any complaints, call the 1-800 number" No action was taken to remedy the situation, nor a new room offered to us, nor a refund was offered by him.
From the time we arrived, to the time we checked out was a grand total of 15 minutes.

Stayed at a Travelodge Hotel before with only great experiences. This hotel is a complete disgrace to the company name.

Would not recommend this hotel to ANYONE
OVERPRICED, DIRTY PREMISES - STAY AWAY .

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank autoz24
Thank you for submitting your review of the Hotel. I am saddened to hear about your misfortunes and even more so that we were not able to remedy them for you. A room in that condition was O.O.O. for repairs but clerically ended up available to rent and that you did.
We take great pride in our rooms both on a cleanliness front as well as maintenance and on your next trip to Ottawa I hope you will have an opportunity to experience our true colours.